Plants for a pergola

Hi, i have a pergola and i want to find a plant to grow up and creep around it and over the top as a cover.  I have tried growing grape plants but they grow for maybe three weeks then stop and wont climb all the way to the top. Do you know any names of some that are available in Thailand as they are difficult to find at the plant shops. I am in Pattaya if anyone can help me. Thanks.

I'd have to find the names, but these two are interesting.  Bougainvilleas are pretty but can grow huge and have nasty thorns.  You could them for a quick start, then cut them down when something else get going pretty good.

... OK, the one that looks like claws or a parrot's beak is Mucuna bennettii ( New Guinea Creeper or Red Jade Vine) or possibly Macuna warburgii. They can be red or orange and there's an unusual jade green one. Thai name: พวงโกเมน ?

The one with the trumpets seems to be called Pyrostegia venusta, Pyrostegia ignea or Bignonia venusta - orange trumpet creeper.  Thai name: พวงแสด phuang saet (Bangkok)?

You might try some sort of morning glory. 

41466086_1108488215973422_88778042467334image.png.47bbb8c7776eb82a20a86b0ddc0b33ff.pngimage.png.dc1795bfa1c63770fb1ae44fdbdebbdf.png

Rangoon creeper, or something like lep mue nang in Thai, grows like a weed and are easily available. Does not grow too thick and heavy, unlike Bouganvillea, so you don’t need a really strong structure to support it.

Wifey confirmed the Thai names of พวงโกเมน  (Puang Go Mein) and พวงแสด (phuang saet).  She did not know that there was a Jade-colored version of Puang Go Mein.  Shy bloomer on the Jade-colored one, I understand.

If you have 4 posts, plant one of each kind and see which one wins. 

The little girl pinching the trumpet creeper flowers is our grand-niece. My wife is teaching her to sweep up spent Bougainvillea blossoms off our porch. Put up a shade cloth and grow orchids ...

On 2/3/2019 at 9:54 PM, Damrongsak said:

I'd have to find the names, but these two are interesting.  Bougainvilleas are pretty but can grow huge and have nasty thorns.  You could them for a quick start, then cut them down when something else get going pretty good.

... OK, the one that looks like claws or a parrot's beak is Mucuna bennettii ( New Guinea Creeper or Red Jade Vine) or possibly Macuna warburgii. They can be red or orange and there's an unusual jade green one. Thai name: พวงโกเมน ?

The one with the trumpets seems to be called Pyrostegia venusta, Pyrostegia ignea or Bignonia venusta - orange trumpet creeper.  Thai name: พวงแสด phuang saet (Bangkok)?

You might try some sort of morning glory. 

41466086_1108488215973422_88778042467334image.png.47bbb8c7776eb82a20a86b0ddc0b33ff.pngimage.png.dc1795bfa1c63770fb1ae44fdbdebbdf.png

Hi i went to the market today and he said he would order one for me next week, its about 3 foot high and 450 baht. Will one be enough? i have three pillars that are about 2.5 mtrs apart.  Thanks

Which one did you get?  I would think either one could be easily propagated by air layering once it gets going and branches out.  But they both seem very vigorous, so one plant may well cover quite a large area.  Just direct a few branches initially so it spreads out evenly.  The Red Jade Vine is said to get as big as 100 feet (30 m).  The trumpet vine is a bit smaller, 30-40 ft. (9-12 m).

I suspect that this is a single plant.  I'll have to ask the wife.

41539532_1108488189306758_78237924158645

Archived