1 year old condo - damp problems

Wife bought a new condo just over a year ago. It's been let out long term since, but when the agent went to do the exit check from the last tenant, she found damage on walls that looks like damp penetration to me .

Now given this it's in the middle of the block on the 5th floor I wouldn't have expected that.

Any thoughts on what is causing this ?

78532.jpg

18534.jpg

18535.jpg

It's more than likely either (1) damp from incorrectly installed bathroom tiles, floor or waste water drain, or (2) leaking pipework buried in the walls, or (3) incorrect external levels.

If you have a bathroom the other side of the wall then check if water can get behind the tiles. Check that there is a seal around the bathroom floor. Check that the waste water drain does not have gaps between the metal fitting and the recess it is housed in.

If there is a balcony outside the wall then check that rainwater runs towards the balcony drain, and not back towards the apartment wall.

Have a chat with your neighbours. See if they have the same problem.

12 minutes ago, newnative said:

Good post from blackcab.  I would also check with the management to see if the condo is still under warranty and see if any other owners are having the same problem.

Yes I agree, some good ideas there .

I'm in Europe at the mo (fixing up a house over here !) so I can't check on things directly but apparently it only came with a 12 month warranty and she bought it 13 and a half months ago......

I've suggested already she needs to contact the management co  and see if this is widespread or just that condo.

it's internal walls in most cases - but the problem is in several rooms in several different places - I only put a sample of the pics on here.

Anyway she is off looking at a homestay to buy today, will have to wait for her  to get back and see if she has any more info.

12 minutes ago, george11 said:

As a retired building code inspector, never buy a brand new dwelling within the first three to five years.  

Look I like old houses - mine is 130 year old and stone, my wife, on the other hand likes new, she's bought 5 brand new ones so far 

4 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Stop showing off and boasting

5 houses serialy over 27 years - that's not a huge number ? Just every time she's moved it's always a brand new one.

I had 7 in the UK in roughly the same time, but mine have always been do-it-upers 

5 hours ago, tebee said:

Yes I agree, some good ideas there .

I'm in Europe at the mo (fixing up a house over here !) so I can't check on things directly but apparently it only came with a 12 month warranty and she bought it 13 and a half months ago......

I've suggested already she needs to contact the management co  and see if this is widespread or just that condo.

it's internal walls in most cases - but the problem is in several rooms in several different places - I only put a sample of the pics on here.

Anyway she is off looking at a homestay to buy today, will have to wait for her  to get back and see if she has any more info.

Just a thought. The leases that I have stipulate that the tenant must report any faults allowing the owner to make any claims against guarantees. If your tenancy agreement stipulates this, you can hold back the cost of the damage against their deposit. Cheers

they almost never waterproof behind the tiles in the bathroom on the back side. I was walking down the hallway of some fairly new condos in pattaya and you could see the ones being used by the blistering paint where the bathrooms backed onto it. glad I sold my 2 new condos before the same thing started.

15 hours ago, newnative said:

Good post from blackcab.  I would also check with the management to see if the condo is still under warranty and see if any other owners are having the same problem.

Good idea, our project developer has been excellent in regards to honouring defect management. Additionally they are very open in regards to discussing issues that have been common to multiple condos.

1 hour ago, Aussieroaming said:

Good idea, our project developer has been excellent in regards to honouring defect management. Additionally they are very open in regards to discussing issues that have been common to multiple condos.

I've had the same positive experiences with several new condos I have bought--the project developers have been very responsive about repairing any problems. In one or 2 cases I think I might even have been past the warranty period but the problems were with the construction or materials and they still fixed the problems free.

at my house the upstairs bathroom is directly above my downstairs kitchen...it's been a good arrangement for many years with no leaks but recently I've seen some leakage to the downstairs where the floor/wall joint is upstairs in the hong naam...this can be deadly as I'm in the downstairs kitchen a lot and couldn't see a wet spot on the floor until I've slipped and fallen on my ass inna heap with the associated injuries, etc...

could one just pull up the first course of tiles in the upstairs bathroom where the floor/wall joint is, lay down a moisture barrier and then re - tile? or would we havta pull up all the upstairs bathroom tiles and waterproof it?

17 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

Just a thought. The leases that I have stipulate that the tenant must report any faults allowing the owner to make any claims against guarantees. If your tenancy agreement stipulates this, you can hold back the cost of the damage against their deposit. Cheers

Are you serious in claiming that you'd charge the tenant for this?

3 hours ago, stevenl said:

If you own a property and have guarantees attached to it, then in many lease agreements it stipulates that if there is any fault that is covered by the warranty, as there was in this case, then the Landlord must be informed to allow him to claim. If the tenant fails to notify the Landlord then (if this is a clause in the contract) they must take responsibility for the Landlord's lost opportunity.

If however there is no such clause (there is in all the contracts that I have ever had to sign) then the Landlord may ask why he was never informed as it was obviously a fault that needed attention, but no other recourse.

In this case the Landlord lost out because the tenant didn't declare the problem and the warranty was allowed to expire.

Simple...take responsibility for looking after the property, whether you own it or lease it.

7 hours ago, stevenl said:

I suspect that most Thai landlords in Bangkok would at least try and charge a farang for this. Not that that justifies doing yourself, of course.

11 hours ago, Rod the Sod said:

If you own a property and have guarantees attached to it, then in many lease agreements it stipulates that if there is any fault that is covered by the warranty, as there was in this case, then the Landlord must be informed to allow him to claim. If the tenant fails to notify the Landlord then (if this is a clause in the contract) they must take responsibility for the Landlord's lost opportunity.

If however there is no such clause (there is in all the contracts that I have ever had to sign) then the Landlord may ask why he was never informed as it was obviously a fault that needed attention, but no other recourse.

In this case the Landlord lost out because the tenant didn't declare the problem and the warranty was allowed to expire.

Simple...take responsibility for looking after the property, whether you own it or lease it.

I am fortunate in having a landlord and his agent who rectify problems immediately I notify them, at no cost to me. I suspect, however, many landlords either try to pass off the cost to the tenant, or do nothing.

I live in an old but solidly built condo. Many of the newer buildings seem to be constructed from toad shit, sealing wax and duct tape.

1 minute ago, Lacessit said:

I am fortunate in having a landlord and his agent who rectify problems immediately I notify them, at no cost to me. I suspect, however, many landlords either try to pass off the cost to the tenant, or do nothing.

I wasn't so fortunate and that formed a major part of my decision to buy rather than to rent.

If its external wall, the condo usually does repairs once a year to fix leaks and cracks. Make sure you report it to the condo, and follow up when they do repairs. The repairs are free.

Majority of condos are pre cast, where they assemble the condo panel by panel, and many times there are cracks and leaks over time. 

On 2/5/2019 at 7:22 PM, Rod the Sod said:

Since they only bought the property after the warranty ran out, your post is nonsense " apparently it only came with a 12 month warranty and she bought it 13 and a half months ago...... "

On top of that, you have no idea if the landlord was informed of any kind of problem.

You're quick to jump to conclusions and blame people who are not to blame.

On 2/5/2019 at 11:29 PM, pr9spk said:

I suspect that most Thai landlords in Bangkok would at least try and charge a farang for this. Not that that justifies doing yourself, of course.

And I suspect this is not the case.

On 2/8/2019 at 12:30 PM, stevenl said:

Since they only bought the property after the warranty ran out, your post is nonsense " apparently it only came with a 12 month warranty and she bought it 13 and a half months ago...... "

On top of that, you have no idea if the landlord was informed of any kind of problem.

You're quick to jump to conclusions and blame people who are not to blame.

Mmmm rational thinking not your strong point eh?

She bought it 13.5 months ago with a 12 month warranty. Presuming that the previous tenants had been in for more than 6 weeks, they were in the property when the problem arose, and presumably given the owner has just found out about it, the tenant did not report anything. Therefore the problem happened whilst under warranty and whilst let - precisely my point.

So if the tenant was there for less than 6 weeks, you have a point. If not, you are talking nonsense. I simply put forward a statement of fact regarding common lease conditions. You need to take a happy pill and get some aggression out of your comments mon ami.

Archived