5 Reasons Why This Will Be The Deadlist Summer from Hua-Hin to Chaing Mai

LetsCleanUpTHAILAND

5 hours ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

About the car issue. Here are some ideas and maybe you can organize a carpool with parents where each parent agrees to take everyones kids on a scheduled day of the week?

Quite difficult unless other kids live very close by...  A good idea in theory though... 

(1) people who commute should drive to nearest parking lot for BTS and take BTS or MRT if possible.

That could work for some and I imagine that many of those it does work for already do this... It requires 'free park and ride' parking...  Many commutes are not on the BTS line, so a drive to the BTS, the queueing for a taxi or motorcycle is not an option, especially in poor weather / rainy season.

(2) parents with kids... all the rich schools should provide air-con van to pick up students.

An option and many do... Not for my 5 year old, perhaps when he's 10 or so. But, the Int'l schools charge about 16,000 to 20,000 baht per term for this !!

(3) poor parents with kids... all the non-rich kids should get FREE N95 masks. The thai government get 2 billion baht in royalties from the mining that's causing the worst air pollution in THailand. One N95 mask is like 30THB. give two for every student because each mask is good for about two weeks. Have those kids take songteaw.

This is a help... but really, the pollution need solving....

(4) phase ALL diesel vehicles to be NGV. All other vehicles should be required to get a catalatic converter to filter the exhaust. Thats what we do in the west. annual smog checks must be enforced for the car to qualify for being registered.

Agreed...  OR better still a much better promotion of electric and hybrid vehicles... i.e. no import tax on electric or hybrid vehicles or no tax on locally made electrics.... (I'm thinking Tesla !)

(5) make it easier to use public transport by cleaning the Rapid Buses daily and expanding their routes. Invest in electric buses and make cleanliness a top priority.

Agreed... the public transport requires a huge investment, the skytrain and BTS is good...  but it needs a far better linking network of clean air-con busses.

First and foremost - heavy penalties for polluters: factories, busses, lorries, ECU modified trucks, those burning fields and rubbish.. 

On 2/4/2019 at 1:54 AM, NCC1701A said:

as I have said many times on this forum anyone growing up in California during the 60's, 70's and 80's knows what needs to be done.

nothing needs to be researched or invented. no studies made. just do what California did 50 frickin' years ago.    

I lived though it. But the difference is California has real police that enforce the law and 99% of the public understand they will go to jail or face a serious fine for whatever the issue is. That will never happen in Thailand because the entire police force is a mafia that turns every new rule or regulation into a opportunity to shake down the public. 

I salute you for your effort. I must have thoughts like this ten times a day living here.

I'm from "Nor Cal" and your right. The big reason why cops enforce the law (and are complete <deleted> about it) is because, and correct me if I'm wrong, they have Sacramento looking over their shoulder. Cops are mafia for the State. They need to make quotas (traffic tickets) and, unlike Thai police, they go through rigorous classes in law. They are all practically lawyers. So instead of collecting dues for themselves, they collect them for the state via tickets.

An idea I had was about incentivizing tickets and arming people to fight corruption. You see, there will be a LINE for the office of Anti-Corruption. If citizens are asked to give money to the police for their littering or trash burning fine, they should pay the officer and request a ticket. Then they take a picture of the ticket and send to the Anti-Corruption office or on social for everyone to see. As they say in Mexico - small town, big hell. No wife or mother wants people to gossip about her corrupt police husband/son in town.

All people should know that they should get a ticket and teach book of tickets is distributed on an officer-by-officer basis. Example: Officer Phet gets a ticket book that has his name and badge information on it.

Now, when officers comply with the original ticketing scheme, they will get a percentage. It's kinda like when you worked for Macy's and you got 3% commission for selling. This should offset the urge for corruption.

What do you think? Corruption-proof?

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 11:02 AM, Berkshire said:

With regards to open-air burning, if the government/law enforcement would just arrest violators/huge fine, this problem could be lessened significantly.  I mean immediate arrest, no muss, no fuss.  I'm not holding my breath. 

I used to think the same, but many people just don't know. Maybe we gotta treat this similar to cigarettes. (1) awareness (2) warning (3) big ticket.

• Like 1

On 2/4/2019 at 6:55 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Agreed...  OR better still a much better promotion of electric and hybrid vehicles... i.e. no import tax on electric or hybrid vehicles or no tax on locally made electrics.... (I'm thinking Tesla !)

Fantastic idea! That's similar to what Obama did with Solar Cell in the USA. Thai's would love hybrids too. I've seen them a lot in THailand. In China, my expat buddies talk about electric motorbikes. I saw them in Malacca, Malaysia too. Perhaps that's a viable option. If you have facebook, maybe float that idea around and ask about if any Thai's would be willing to make a petition to request a company to make them www.change.org

On 2/4/2019 at 6:15 AM, vinniekintana said:

All the pollution factors mentioned in the post were here  last year and for many years before that.

This year will be no more 'deadly' than previous years

Life's too short to try to fix Thailand's problems

Moving out of the pollution-prone areas is an instant solution...although trash-burning will be present wherever you may relocate.

Unfortunately, air pollution is NOT something you can run away from because ALL air on earth circulates worldwide. When someone farts in China, your inhaling it in Wales. That's why when there was a massive dust storm in the middle east, a lot of those dust particles floated them halfway around the world! In fact, it takes about a week for China's pollution to drift across the pacific before reaching Canada/USA. 

I predict it to be more deadly because we are in an El Nino. Basically, we are getting weather opposite to normal. Expect less wind, more heat, little rain. That all equals more greenhouse gases, more intense heat and more pollution blankets over our city.

• Like 2

On 2/3/2019 at 12:54 PM, NCC1701A said:

as I have said many times on this forum anyone growing up in California during the 60's, 70's and 80's knows what needs to be done.

nothing needs to be researched or invented. no studies made. just do what California did 50 frickin' years ago.    

I lived though it. But the difference is California has real police that enforce the law and 99% of the public understand they will go to jail or face a serious fine for whatever the issue is.

You're also forgetting 2 other factors:  1) The economy of California dwarfs the economy of Thailand- in absolute terms and especially per capita.  Environmental programs that California has implemented probably cost more in direct and indirect costs than the entire economy of Thailand.  That includes jobs that will never be in California because companies have to go elsewhere, the cost of compliance for automobiles, and the cost of compliance for everything that happens in California. 

Which brings #2.  California doesn't have to be self sufficient like Thailand.  They can "import" cars from North Carolina and other goods from states that aren't as strict.  So they don't have to suffer environmentally damaging industry.  They're NIMBYcrats.  Thailand can't be.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

Unfortunately, air pollution is NOT something you can run away from because ALL air on earth circulates worldwide. When someone farts in China, your inhaling it in Wales. That's why when there was a massive dust storm in the middle east, a lot of those dust particles floated them halfway around the world! In fact, it takes about a week for China's pollution to drift across the pacific before reaching Canada/USA. 

I predict it to be more deadly because we are in an El Nino. Basically, we are getting weather opposite to normal. Expect less wind, more heat, little rain. That all equals more greenhouse gases, more intense heat and more pollution blankets over our city.

Perhaps a world wide ban on stuff such as baked beans would be a start ? ????

• Haha 2

On 2/4/2019 at 12:45 AM, richard_smith237 said:

... I believe corruption and lethargy is the cause of this pollution ,,,

I don't think "lethargy" is a good word to describe the outcome of the development of Thai society, and culture, over centuries as impacted by colonialism, modernization, westernization, etc. An outcome which appears to the western observer of explicit behavior as selfishness, indifference to collective social welfare and law, reckless  driving, etc.

I think it's important not to project onto Somchai, who is burning his trash now, an awareness he does not have because it has never been developed. In saying that, I do not intend to say said behavior is not stupid, amoral, and selfish ... by my standards.

~o:37l

All good points, but trying to magnify it and get momentum going through TV community won't work...you have to find your leverage point through Thai social media.

Expat community is a blip on the *ss of the Thai population totals...the momentum needs to come from within, not finger pointing farangs telling them everything they know and do is wrong/backwards....

{Incidentally saw an Air Asia advert with the air hostess pointing to herself yesterday, under (no doubt) western photographer direction...didn't he brush up on his rude gestures in Asia 101 ?}

• Thanks 2

On 2/11/2019 at 10:31 PM, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

Fantastic idea! That's similar to what Obama did with Solar Cell in the USA. Thai's would love hybrids too. I've seen them a lot in THailand. In China, my expat buddies talk about electric motorbikes. I saw them in Malacca, Malaysia too. Perhaps that's a viable option. If you have facebook, maybe float that idea around and ask about if any Thai's would be willing to make a petition to request a company to make them www.change.org

Solar would certainly be the way to go, given the weather conditions here. 

Yet, considering how Thais manage their regular electrical grid... have you seen the wires, the exploding transformers, the cables dangling all the way down to head level... I can't imagine them dealing with a much more complex solar grid. 

In short, besides the sun itself, they don't have anything ready to make good use of solar energy... and it is obviously out of question to ask for foreigners' assistance. 

As for electric means of transportation, they won't fix anything as long as the electricity itself will be produced from coal power stations...more electric vehicles will translate into more coal burning... 

Finally, the Thai population is blissfully unaware of any pollution problem, as it is unaware of anything else, except maybe for the lottery results... 

• Like 2

On 2/4/2019 at 1:54 AM, NCC1701A said:

I lived though it. But the difference is California has real police that enforce the law and 99% of the public understand they will go to jail or face a serious fine for whatever the issue is. That will never happen in Thailand because the entire police force is a mafia that turns every new rule or regulation into a opportunity to shake down the public. 

I salute you for your effort. I must have thoughts like this ten times a day living here.

And a 13 percent state income tax, double gasoline prices,  and a hundred billion dollar state debt and companies leaving in droves relocating to Texas. Thankfully Thailand will not become California. Seriously not meant as an attack on you just California.   I really like your funny posts keep them up. ????

• Thanks 1

From what I see Thailand is trailing the west by about 30 or 40 years, with regards to pollution and the environment. Pollution in California was horrific when I was a kid. They will catch up eventually and it most likely won't take 30 or 40  years, probably more like 20 years or less. You can see they are catching on by the banning of cigarettes in many areas and trying to use less plastic bags. Shoot, in most states in America they still give out all of the plastic bags you can handle and then some, so they really aren't that far behind. By far Thailand's biggest problem is enforcement but even in this area, there was massive corruption in law enforcement in America not too long ago, they are not all that far behind. The fact that people are wearing masks and they have been selling out at the stores is another tell tale sign that they are catching on. Education of the population is taking place and it will take hold eventually. 

For now, wear a mask when the pollution is bad and keep educating those around you. They're getting it, it's just going to take some time, just like it took some time in the west.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, runamok27 said:

From what I see Thailand is trailing the west by about 30 or 40 years, with regards to pollution and the environment. Pollution in California was horrific when I was a kid. They will catch up eventually and it most likely won't take 30 or 40  years, probably more like 20 years or less. 

30 or 40 years ago, people in the West were not dumping their garbage on roadsides, from cars emitting black smoke because they never changed the oil... 

Like many third world countries, Thailand was given access to technology without the user's manual, and the education to understand the responsibilities going with it (a car is not a toy). 

There is no turning back from such mistakes. 

Terrible habits have been ingrained in the population and are not going away. 

20 years from now, expect worse than now, that is if the crazies in the Land of the Free let us live that long... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/12/2019 at 2:26 AM, LetsCleanUpTHAILAND said:

I used to think the same, but many people just don't know. Maybe we gotta treat this similar to cigarettes. (1) awareness (2) warning (3) big ticket.

Congratulations on posting a topic that affects us at the core.

YES.....Awareness is key to and for change, but only if it is also if the law enforces its powers.

I have been coming to Thailand frequently, remembering the 1st time I came here in 2005 falling in love with the rawness, the backwardness, the relaxed nature of the Thai's as compared to the hussle and bussle of Sydney, as beautiful as her surrounds and the rest of the country are, but when comparing the cost of living, Thailand won hands down, hence the reason I have retired here with my family.

That is were the problem is, we, or perhaps I should say I chose to live here 3 and a bit years ago for my retirement, the plan in the making for a decade and it has worked out well, except I didn't see how bad things really are here, and unless your prepared to fit in with the Thai's and without picking on them, their ignorance and self righteousness, and selfishness, which is imbedded in their culture, no fault of their own, and the problem is, they can't be turned around, nor can they comply, or will they, they do what they want, after all, they only live day by day and do not challenge, they don't know how to, they don't want challenges/problems, authority is authority, and corruption is corruption, i.e. there is always a way out when it suites one, from school to cops to government.

Burning of rubbish, how can you make a change when they don't want the added cost, e.g. we live in a village in the north-east, our village is in the middle of two adjoining villages, one separated by a bridge heading east, the other west.

The burning of rubbish is horrendous as is the burning of crops that surrounds us, the village over the bridge does NOT allow burning of rubbish of any kind in the village, they have yellow bins which are collected by a garbage truck, our village and the adjoining village heading west do not have bins, it's burn at will wherever you like.

We raised the issue and benefits of bins with the mayor and his reply was, yes, yes, I have brought it up many times with the council but they do not want bins, thank you for coming to me about this, now I have to go, and off he went, where too, to gamble my wife told me.

We drive the kids to school 25 kilometres away, do not trust minivan drivers or anyone else for that matter as we see how they drive, with sardines (kids) jammed packed in vans.

When we drive through the villages at 7-7.30am we can see the smoke filled street, then the fields outside the villages, we cannot open our car windows, something I miss from back home. Dropping the kids to school at 7.45am one morning the smell of rubber thick in the air, who was burning that, the school, right next door to our daughter kindergarden and the kids had to stand there through assembly for 45 minutes breathing that in.

My wife's father got sick the other day and she rushed him to the local Dr in the village, he got sick from burning a heap of rubbish and stood there while the plastics he was also burning burnt, him breathing it all in, the doctor gave him some pills and told him to get a chest x ray and a blood test, do you think he went, nope, said to the wife to buy him some vitamins that he has run out of, cost 550 baht, and that he was sick because he ran out of those vitamins, she declined, although one of the other sister's came to the rescue with the vitamins, is he much better now, well that lingering cough is still there, just goes to show their mentality.

Thailand and the world in my opinion will not change, some parts will, but our species doesn't allow for ALL of us to unit and agree on a single issue, "climate change" while I believe it is real issue, politicians don't, even if they knew it was a real concern, they wouldn't stop the rich from polluting the earth, it's big business and they don't have the good of the people in their sights, they only have interest in filling their pocket linings.

This will all come to an end one day when we all kick the bucket and our kids or their kids are left to suffocate from the worsening pollution, as you say, it doesn't escape, it just travels to another corner of the world, like a bottle slowly filling up until one day, you cannot put in anymore smoke in it.

All we can do while we live out our remaining years here is to hope the kids don't get too ill, with a plan B to move back to the old country when it gets worse which is already being looked at seriously, although is 7 years away, but can be brought in, if things don't improve of which I dare say won't, excuse my pessimism, but you can only expect so much from people who have have limited schooling and don't question those above them, with there being no real leaders in this world, only followers.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

We raised the issue and benefits of bins with the mayor and his reply was, yes, yes, 

Thailand and the world in my opinion will not change, some parts will, but our species doesn't allow for ALL of us to unit and agree on a single issue, "climate change" while I believe it is real issue, politicians don't, even if they knew it was a real concern, they wouldn't stop the rich from polluting the earth, it's big business and they don't have the good of the people in their sights, they only have interest in filling their pocket linings.

This will all come to an end one day when we all kick the bucket and our kids or their kids are left to suffocate from the worsening pollution, as you say, it doesn't escape, it just travels to another corner of the world, like a bottle slowly filling up until one day, you cannot put in anymore smoke in it.

Not only my village has no garbage collection, but the whole amphoe doesn't. 

Thus, I separate my garbage in two bins: what I can burn (99% plastic containers) and what I can't. 

I do the burning myself, about once a week, in the garden where I have planted more than enough trees to absorb the small resulting emissions. 

As for the other part, I bring it to the city and drop it in a garbage bin in one of the streets. 

Now, garbage disposal is small potatoes compared to the ongoing soil, crops, air, water and food poisoning, which is killing (cancer) Thais in droves, and most probably not only Thais. 

In the last few years, it is incredible the number of Thai families around me who have lost at least one rather young member to cancer. 

As a matter of fact, my wife will go tomorrow visit her best friend's mother, who is dying from liver cancer. 

Of course, Thailand and the world, both terminally mentally ill and corrupt, won't change. 

The billionaires are in charge, with well paid politicians protecting their interests. 

They eat food not available to the serfs, and get a full medical check-up once or twice a year, so that like Soros, Buffett, Munger and others, they never die! 

They meet in Davos, each of them coming in his own private jet, to officially discuss the dangers of climate change, and unofficially to see how they can profit from it... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Brunolem said:

Not only my village has no garbage collection, but the whole amphoe doesn't. 

Thus, I separate my garbage in two bins: what I can burn (99% plastic containers) and what I can't. 

I do the burning myself, about once a week, in the garden where I have planted more than enough trees to absorb the small resulting emissions. 

As for the other part, I bring it to the city and drop it in a garbage bin in one of the streets. 

Now, garbage disposal is small potatoes compared to the ongoing soil, crops, air, water and food poisoning, which is killing (cancer) Thais in droves, and most probably not only Thais. 

In the last few years, it is incredible the number of Thai families around me who have lost at least one rather young member to cancer. 

As a matter of fact, my wife will go tomorrow visit her best friend's mother, who is dying from liver cancer. 

Of course, Thailand and the world, both terminally mentally ill and corrupt, won't change. 

The billionaires are in charge, with well paid politicians protecting their interests. 

They eat food not available to the serfs, and get a full medical check-up once or twice a year, so that like Soros, Buffett, Munger and others, they never die! 

They meet in Davos, each of them coming in his own private jet, to officially discuss the dangers of climate change, and unofficially to see how they can profit from it... 

YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD AS THE SAYING GOES, GLAD THERE IS SOMEONE ELSE OUT THERE AS PARANOID AS ME ????

Image result for picture of nail on the head

While I agree that trash/farm burning should be stopped by enforcing the laws that are already on the books as the right thing to do I don't see a catastrophe that is imminent. The monsoons winds and rain will come both cleaning the air and pushing the particulate away and everyone will quickly forget until next year.

• Like 1