Non O visa at Usa embassy Washington Dc

Why does the USA Thai Embassy want a flight ticket going to Thailand and leaving Thailand to give a Non O visa? I am planning on living there and not returning. Is there a work around to not have to buy an expensive ticket to return if not going to use? Thank you

Edited by raptorea
edit spelling

If it is a Multi entry non-O, you will have to leave every 90 Days.

But they do they require a ticket back to the USA, or are they happy with a cheaper ticket, for a weekend to Hong Kong or the like? (would have to be careful ready your travel insurance small print as well, if going to adjacent countries).

I suggest that if you're going to stay in Thailand that you apply for a Non Imm O-A VISA. If you meet the requirements, then there is no need to show them any flight arrangements at all. Plus you will be good to go for the next 1 - 2 years stay in Thailand...

1 hour ago, mosan said:

I suggest that if you're going to stay in Thailand that you apply for a Non Imm O-A VISA. If you meet the requirements, then there is no need to show them any flight arrangements at all. Plus you will be good to go for the next 1 - 2 years stay in Thailand...

The USA Thai embassy is asking as one of there requirements to issue a non o visa is to have onward travel? I wonder if a one way with an additional ticket that shows leaving BKK to Cambodia would suffice? I am planning on doing a one year extension based on Thai marriage.