BANGKOK
webfact

Brit in Phuket Town condo saga continues amid fears of nine-story jump

Sure seems like there has been an increase in bad Brit stories.

Mind the gap!

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, robblok said:

Do you have a link to his version of events ? But even so he is not that smart if he thinks that this will go away if he locks himself up.

The bond might be something in his head I know its common to happen still the action of not paying rent the last months is as illegal as not giving the bond back. Its actually worse as it happens before there is a conflict over the bond. 

I gotten my bond back but I rented only once.  

There's no link to his actual email, but this was reported in the original story.

"Mr Maclean, who sent a detailed email to The Phuket News, flatly denied the claim.

Instead he gave a detailed description of events, including dates, times, names and places, of how the rent was no longer being collected as the landlady had sent her adult children to collect the rent, but refused to give receipts for rent paid.

Mr Maclean also alleged two attempts of forced entry to gain access to the condo."

Two things. He has a bolt. And, if you are on the premises, they cannot enter without permission. It is a peculiarity of Thai law that I happen to support. At least it was leading up to the coup. I'm pretty sure it still stands.

24 minutes ago, NamKangMan said:

Seems to be a bit of Brit bashing posting.  

Isn't he Australian?

"The Australian-born Brit, David Maclean, 50, from Brisbane"  

Maybe convict stock repatriated  :w00t:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Rent scams are common enough all over Thailand. This guy should have been given a receipt, and that's all there is to it.

But apparently the Phuket authorities prefer to side with the Thai landlord rather than protect the interests of tourists. There's a surprise.

As someone who has rented budget condos in Thailand I think that what he demanding is a receipt that shows the "breakdown" of the total of 8000 Baht. The rent is probably 5000 Baht, let´s say and he is being ripped off in the electricity, that´s the usual way that greedy landlords find to rip off clueless farangs. Probably he wasn´t so clueless and was saving in electricity consumption, trying not to use the air conditioning and when this 8000 Baht bill came out of the blue he just freaked out, lost his mind thinking that he would go bankrupt. If I were in Phuket I would go to his window and scream that I will pay his bill myself. That would end this ridiculous situation. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

Two things. He has a bolt. And, if you are on the premises, they cannot enter without permission. It is a peculiarity of Thai law that I happen to support. At least it was leading up to the coup. I'm pretty sure it still stands.

I find that very hard to believe. So if you know the upstairs neighbor is flooding into your unit ( as in the landlords unit ) and your crazy tenant is home enjoying the flood and he says you can’t enter you have no right to enter??  I call major BS on you!!  Owner has right of entry. 

Edited by alex8912
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, riverhigh said:

50 years old. Likely no job in home country. Living here 6 months. Most probably benefits cut off. Barricading himself in his room and threatening to jump for the princely  sum of 8,000 baht. "Give me a receipt for my 8000 baht or I'll jump".  A real waste of space.

True very well described , this guy in the story is trying it on , the good news is when he is deported he will be banned from coming back , hope he does not live near me in uk 

2 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Rent scams are common enough all over Thailand. This guy should have been given a receipt, and that's all there is to it.

But apparently the Phuket authorities prefer to side with the Thai landlord rather than protect the interests of tourists. There's a surprise.

What is a rent scam? I've lived and paid rent for 20 years in Los  but never had a problem with rent or landlords. Pay rent and get a receipt.End of story.I am more inclined to believe the Thais on this one. Thais love renting to farang

Good source of steady rental  income and farangs are generally well behaved. Thai tenants are a disaster.Here today gone tomorrow at 4am

PEPPERCORN RENT. Still exist in Thailand but drying up now .One of my last 'landords'was actually on a30 year PEPPERCORN and suddenly came around to my place and removed all the timber that was piled up on the roof. Few days later I was approached by wife of the retired general who apparently owns the whole street. They wanted me to pay for the missing timber...I refused because they never told me the'landlord' was on a 200 b/_month peppercorn that had now expired. 1978-2008.

They gave up on the timber and we parted on amicable terms... No problem!

Never heard of rent scams but title deed scams are rampant. Alot of deeds are on Buddha land ..sort of like a pro-forma Deed. Thais get hoodwinked all the time by other Thais.

• Confused 1

I don't get it, why don't they just break the door down , if he's suicidal just take him out of there.  He is a lost case anyway in the eyes of the police.

Ask for assistance from the Australian embassy , maybe he is broke , send him home. 

• Like 1

1. I feel bad for the landlord.

Think of what they will be stuck paying the cops and firemen - the landlord filed a report, so they are now on the hook for all those brown envelopes. Whose idea do you think it was for the fire brigade to show up? No doubt the fire brigade!

2. If the poor disgrace of a man jumps from his flat, the landlord will believe they and the flat are cursed by his ghost. Not worth 8,000baht.

3. Clearly, someone needs to call David Maclean’s Mom. She is likely the only one who can resolve this.  If Big Joke flew her in, though, we would have a TV poster threatening to jump each week, in hopes of a free visit from Mom.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, NamKangMan said:

Can you name a place in Thailand where tourists are not scammed, in one form or another?

It's been a long time since I qualified as a tourist, but I don't recall being scammed then or since. Some tourists may have a "kick me" message on their backs and probably have similar problems wherever they are.

• Like 1

If you pay by direct debit then receipt is not an issue, as you have all the evidence needed.  DD is not easy to explain here, but it's just as possible as in most countries.  My Landlord (LandLady in my case) never ever makes issues, and has always been a stand up character.

In the above case (and for disclosure I haven't read the full article), it seems that a nothing burger turned into a 'thing' with no good for either party.  Probably an apology, misunderstanding, a wai and a bunch of finger pointers showing where the plane leaves would be a probable outcome.