Is the Chinese New Year parade from Thaphae Gate to Chinatown on this year ?

flashlight92

There's normally a parade with lion and dragon dances from Thaphae Gate to Chinatown on the 1st day of Chinese New Year, starting around 9am. The Tourist Info at Nawarat Bridge says there isn't one this year which seems strange. Can anyone confirm this ? Also they only had the programme of events at the stage near 7-11 in Chinatown in Thai. Has anyone got it in English ? Thanks.

I'm a bit puzzled too as, like you say, the parade (well, mini-parade) has always started at Thaphae Gate and then entered the Chinatown area near Kuang Men Road; however, the CityLife article detailing the press conference of the Mayor specifically says the parade will start this year at the Kuan U Shrine on Soi Kuang Men and then proceed to near the 7-11 junction at Worarot Market.  If that's what happens tomorrow, it's going to be a short parade trip (and I'd expect Soi Kuang Men will be so jammed that any parade will have a tough time getting through).  The article doesn't say what time this will happen and I can't find anything on the Chiangmai Municipal website about it.  

Archived