BANGKOK 22 March 2019 15:31
Formaleins

Chiang Mai Immigration.

1 hour ago, arithai12 said:

-con: I don't understand why they cannot have a copy shop inside the compound as was the case before. Now you have to cross the main road even for one missing photocopy, and it was easier for Noah to cross the Red Sea.

It was explained to me by the  senior IO that the land is government owned whereas photocopy shops are private so they need to have special approval from the govt first.

Once they get the approval, we will have a photocopy shop inside the compound.

Edited by EricTh

Well, I am no longer a doubter! They have changed and changed big time! We were there 6:15, not much of a queue, we ended up with the 2nd Spouse appointment, they started working about 6:45, we went in just before 8am and were out at 9am! Fantastic, and they had a really friendly cheerful attitude to boot! What more can I say, let's just hope it stays this way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/5/2019 at 10:04 PM, EricTh said:

It was explained to me by the  senior IO that the land is government owned whereas photocopy shops are private so they need to have special approval from the govt first.

Once they get the approval, we will have a photocopy shop inside the compound.

They always had a copy facility at the old immigration before they moved to the Promenada. Don't see why it would be any different now.

Just now, Duvidl said:

They always had a copy facility at the old immigration before they moved to the Promenada. Don't see why it would be any different now.

Could be new rules about corruption ? 

25 minutes ago, Duvidl said:

Promenada is NOT on government property.

They were just renting shoplots (temporarily) there while waiting for the old  place to be renovated.

Edited by EricTh

15 minutes ago, EricTh said:

Promenada is NOT on government property.

They were just renting shoplots (temporarily) there while waiting for the old  place to be renovated.

They had a copy center at the current location before the move a few years ago.

If you have a carry case with duplicate photocopies of everything, and I mean everything, you dont have to worry about getting photocopies when you get there.Just basic forward planning.

1 baht each where I go

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Sparkles said:

If you have a carry case with duplicate photocopies of everything, and I mean everything, you dont have to worry about getting photocopies when you get there.Just basic forward planning.

1 baht each where I go

Trouble is that if you want to get a re-entry permit or do your 90 day report just after obtaining your annual extension, you need a copy of the chop they just put in your passport.  No way to "forward plan" for that.  I was at Imm. earlier this week and had a death-denying dash across the divided highway in order to obtain the copy of my new one year extension in order to dash back and apply for a re-entry permit.  

The copy shop at the petrol station is quite the amateur affair.  They charge just 1 baht per page for a copy, and let you use their pens and glue stick for free.  Not like the one at Prom, which incidentally was in space allocated to Imm by the mall.  There, copies were 2 cents/page, photos 200 baht for 4 (twice the going rate), you could buy pens for 10 baht and they would permit glue stick use only if you'd had your photo taken there.  Quite a little earner for whomever was tied into Imm to get that space allocated for their business.

• Like 1

Trouble is that if you want to get a re-entry permit or do your 90 day report just after obtaining your annual extension, you need a copy of the chop they just put in your passport.  No way to "forward plan" for that.  I was at Imm. earlier this week and had a death-denying dash across the divided highway in order to obtain the copy of my new one year extension in order to dash back and apply for a re-entry permit.  

The copy shop at the petrol station is quite the amateur affair.  They charge just 1 baht per page for a copy, and let you use their pens and glue stick for free.  Not like the one at Prom, which incidentally was in space allocated to Imm by the mall.  There, copies were 2 cents/page, photos 200 baht for 4 (twice the going rate), you could buy pens for 10 baht and they would permit glue stick use only if you'd had your photo taken there.  Quite a little earner for whomever was tied into Imm to get that space allocated for their business.

Death defying dash, bloody drama queen.

Have not run a step in 15 years and crossed that road many times.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, NancyL said:

Well the day I was there in mid Decemember, I noticed some Imm staff taking a photocopy or 2 on their own machines saving people taking a walk over the road.I never go there for 90 day reports haven't done for years and re entry permits you can get at the airport.

Needless to say going to Imm for me is like a vist to the dentist and little chance of getting another birthday cake.Once a year suits me.

Hopefully the service now, which is obviously a huge improvement, will continue.I dont see the influx of foreigners coming here to live declining .CM is featured on many web sites and in "Seniors" magazines labelling it the 'ideal retirement destination"

On 2/9/2019 at 3:37 PM, Bill97 said:

Death defying dash, bloody drama queen.

Have not run a step in 15 years and crossed that road many times.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

This poster is not a "bloody drama queen" when she talked about crossing the street from immigration to the copy shop and back.  It is nothing short of a miracle no one has been run over attempting to cross this street.  

It is common knowledge pedestrians do not have the right away in Thailand.  That coupled with the way Thai drivers tend not to obey any traffic laws, make for a dangerous situation for foreign visitors.   

• Like 2

8 hours ago, sanemax said:

No , cars come speeding from around a slight corner and drivers are not expecting people to be crossing there and the traffic is constant , meaning that you have to run infront of cars to get a across and people will have their passport in their hand and also holding photocopies , quite likely that there will be an accident soon

Actually, if there're no zebra crossing marker, it's considered jay-walking.

If there's an accident, the person running across is at fault too.

• Like 1

Hi , fantastic news indeed . Although I'm out for a few years now and will be some more , I'm still following with interest as I might need the information soon . I was wondering reading about an appointment , is it back as in the old days ? Or did they gave you a queu number at imm ? That would be a major improvement .Thanks for sharing all of your experiences .

"...had a death-denying dash across the divided highway in order to obtain the copy of my new one year extension in order to dash back and apply for a re-entry permit. "

I asked them to make the copies for me, and they did. Without a fuss or snooty look at all.