War on smokers: Smoking rooms at airports scrapped

webfact

War on smokers: Smoking rooms at airports scrapped

2pm.jpg

The Thai airports authority have decided to scrap smoking rooms at all their airports effective immediately. 

Smokers will no longer be able to have a puff in the special rooms set aside at Suvanabhumi, Don Muang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Had Yai and Mae Fa Luang (Chiang Rai) airports. 

New laws that came in Sunday allowed for the rooms at airports to continue but Wing Commander Sutheewat Suwanwat the director at Bangkok's main airport and Airports Authority of Thailand chief has said that public health is more important. 

All such rooms will be dismantled and this started yesterday, the first day of new exclusion zones. Smoking is now banned for five meters around most public building entrances and exits. 

However, Sanook said that smokers will still be able to find a place to smoke at airports. Facilities will be arranged outside terminals in a suitable location away from other people. 

Offenders who smoke in an airport will be fined 5,000 baht. 

Source: Sanook

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-04

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think, they will lower the Airport Fees and the tickets will get cheaper, when this service is discontinued. Mostly this smoking rooms were financed by some cigarette companies. So it is a problem of educating the customers -mostly adults- in AOT's own sense.

Those smoking rooms were a total disgrace for any human being anyway...everything was filthy, broken or missing.....it never gave me a warm welcome feeling when arriving on swampy...and at don muang the ground staff took all the seats for smokers.

1 minute ago, Greyhat said:

NOOOOOO... this was the best thing about landing in Suvarnabhumi

I usually use the lavatory and exit the premises as fast as humanly possible ???? Can't recall a cigarette booth in swampy domestic side at all for ages x)

48 minutes ago, saigonsunset said:

Anyone told them the Chinese still like to smoke ... see a slight 180 degree adjustment of strategy coming up here soon.

The Chinese are used to being subservient, just leaves some of the pesky "expats" to continue to moan ????

Chinese airports have clamped down on smoking in recent years also, government have a better stream of income now, don't need the taxes from the smokers ????

3 hours ago, Aachen said:

I think, they will lower the Airport Fees and the tickets will get cheaper, when this service is discontinued. Mostly this smoking rooms were financed by some cigarette companies. So it is a problem of educating the customers -mostly adults- in AOT's own sense.

How did you come up with this nonsense?

'Smokers will no longer be able to have a puff in the special rooms set aside at Suvanabhumi, Don Muang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Had Yai and Mae Fa Luang (Chiang Rai) airports.' 

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Great reporting, probably only people from the UK will understand the funny side.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

4 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

The war is on all airborne pollutants.  Smoking is hazardous to everyone breathing smoke polluted air.  Do everyone a favor...

Do you have any scientific evidence to back this up or

do you just repeat what they say on TV ???

PS:

100 Lung Doctors in Germany just wrote an open letter to the Government saying that there is not a single piece of

evidence that fine dust particles in the air cause any health problems ... but that's just the people who know - or do they not ?

I gave up on travelling back to Europe to see family/friends when UK airports decided that smoking rooms were abolished - no smoking at all within the airports.

I 'wasn't happy' when they abolished smoking within airplanes, but lived with it as I needed my holidays - and could see how the air for non-smokers might be polluted by the air from smokers.

Sad to see that Thailand is following the same (stupid and pointless) path when it comes to smoking rooms at airports :sad:.

22 minutes ago, brain150 said:

Do you have any scientific evidence to back this up or

do you just repeat what they say on TV ???

PS:

100 Lung Doctors in Germany just wrote an open letter to the Government saying that there is not a single piece of

evidence that fine dust particles in the air cause any health problems ... but that's just the people who know - or do they not ?

The subject is smoke in the air which was proven hazardous to smokers health and non-smokers having to breath in their smoke.  Try getting health insurance...they will ask about your smoking habit...not breathing dust habit.

I'd be more concerned about the amount of jet exhaust I'm inhaling at all airports.

Good ventilation is the key to smokers rooms. A 2" gap all around at floor level, and a couple of jumbo exhaust fans in the ceiling extracting the air to outside ..... job done.

Anyway, if smoking at the airport is banned, no problem. I hope they make an effort to put decent signage to smoking areas. 

Smoking is still a legal pass-time, and airport staff will go nuts with pax asking "Where is the smoking area now ?"

3 hours ago, brain150 said:

Depends who's financing the 'evidence" finding? :wink:

1 hour ago, electric said:

Smoking is still a legal pass-time, and airport staff will go nuts with pax asking "Where is the smoking area now ?"

The domestic terminal has long had a "no smoking" policy and no smoking areas for guests to indulge their habit, the staff there must have already been "nuts" can see no difference in their behaviour ????

3 hours ago, brain150 said:

PS:

I read something about this recently too..............so is dirty diesel REALLY  dirty?

5 hours ago, roo860 said:

'Smokers will no longer be able to have a puff in the special rooms set aside at Suvanabhumi, Don Muang, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Had Yai and Mae Fa Luang (Chiang Rai) airports.' 

emoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.pngemoji23.png

Great reporting, probably only people from the UK will understand the funny side.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I'm not sure may will get the "double entendre". 

B5000 is a bit steep for a quick fag too.!

With all the PM2.5 in the air it might be healthier to filter it through a krongthip.

So how does this war go, you need to light up with a flamethrower and do some chinese flying dagger show while cutting off the heads of the security in order to enjoy your ciggie?

10 hours ago, webfact said:

However, Sanook said that smokers will still be able to find a place to smoke at airports. Facilities will be arranged outside terminals in a suitable location away from other people. 

So, once past imigration you're screwed. In transit; no smoking. Wonder if this might cause some problems on flights. I know I like my fix before flights and in transit. No matter what your stance on smoking is it must be remembered that it is an addiction and a tough one to brake. As for public health being more important, well that's just a nonsense arguement. The whole idea of smoking rooms is to isolate the smokers from the general public. Just more big ideas from small brains.????

3 hours ago, electric said:

I'd be more concerned about the amount of jet exhaust I'm inhaling at all airports.

Good ventilation is the key to smokers rooms. A 2" gap all around at floor level, and a couple of jumbo exhaust fans in the ceiling extracting the air to outside ..... job done.

Anyway, if smoking at the airport is banned, no problem. I hope they make an effort to put decent signage to smoking areas. 

Airport and airline staff will go nuts more than passengers. No nipping outside for a crafty one when you're 30,000 feet up.

Something like the set up at Singapore would be better. it's outdoor in a garden setting. Those smoking rooms stink, in fact you didn't need to light up, just walk in the door, 5 minutes in there and your clothes stunk as well.

I think this is easy. Smoking is a serious health problem for non smokers. Therefore, smokers need places to smoke that do not affect the health of others. Therefore, smokers should pay entry fees to enter smoking rooms at airports etc, and if they don't fines will be imposed, all to pay for the smoking rooms. I don't see why this would be controversial, or how it could be run another way. If you want to smoke when you are in a place like an airport, you need to pay for the right to do so. 

Archived