Cough it up! Cheapest Thai cigarettes set to be 93 baht from October

webfact

Cough it up! Cheapest Thai cigarettes set to be 93 baht from October

3pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

The days of being able to smoke Thai cigarettes for 60 baht will soon be over. 

All cheap brands produced by the Thai Tobacco Monopoly will be at least 93 baht from October. 

This means smokers will have to cough up an extra 33 baht per pack on five brands in ten categories. 

Cigarettes currently priced in the 90 baht range may also increase in price. 

Director of the TTM Daonoi Suthiniphaphan said this paved the way for 100 baht per pack Thai cigarettes.

She defended the move saying it was not to increase TTM profits - the new prices are merely in line with the state's new excise tax rates that means prices must increase by 40%. 

A 55 baht per pack "cool" cigarette recently introduced to compete with foreign brands will be one of those hit, reported Daily News in the latest bad news for smokers. 

After new laws were enforced Sunday they will be unable to light up near virtually any public buildings. 

And the airports' authority have decided to scrap smoking rooms inside terminals.

Source: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-04

Good news,anything that maybe prevents new smokers and

also make smokers cut consumption is a good thing,smoking

really is a filthy habit,and the health issues it causes,they should

be banned completely ,that could never happen i know,expect

the smuggling of cigarettes from neighbouring countries to boom.  

regards worgeordie

31 minutes ago, jabis said:

Cambodia, 1.2$ per pack, Thailand: 3.7$ per pack - pick a guess who makes a profit ????

Cambodian ciggies are not the same. They are more like camel dung wrapped in slightly used toilet paper. They don't burn properly, taste horrible even by cigarette standards, and Thai song tow drivers won't take them when freely offered.

11 minutes ago, quandow said:

Cambodian ciggies are not the same. They are more like camel dung wrapped in slightly used toilet paper. They don't burn properly, taste horrible even by cigarette standards, and Thai song tow drivers won't take them when freely offered.

Maybe they can afford some phillip&morris shit after 1$ added to thai price by october ???? 

3 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Yes go the way of the UK and revenue your fags onto the black market then moan about no tax coming in ????

Our friends went to singapore last week, brought me 8 cartons taxfree high quality cigarettes!

They went there to escape the pollution 55555. So please don't stop the pollution and i'll get taxfree stuff nonstop.

A pack of smokes in Australia set to hit $40 later in 2019. Even at 100 baht smokes here will be one tenth the price in Oz.

Problem for Thailand Is smokes in neighbouring countries cost less than 20 baht / packet wholesale.

Corruption will guarantee a flood of cheap Laos smokes.

Thai gov will lose revenue not increase it. Buying Laos smokes will be under the counter or home delivery.

93 baht is almost half a days pay for many.

37 minutes ago, Lucius verus said:

A pack of smokes in Australia set to hit $40 later in 2019. Even at 100 baht smokes here will be one tenth the price in Oz.

Problem for Thailand Is smokes in neighbouring countries cost less than 20 baht / packet wholesale.

Corruption will guarantee a flood of cheap Laos smokes.

Thai gov will lose revenue not increase it. Buying Laos smokes will be under the counter or home delivery.

93 baht is almost half a days pay for many.

Where there's a will there's away.

3 hours ago, happy chappie said:

5-10kg of hand rolling tobacco is around a couple of hundred baht up here.so sod em.

I've always wondered what a few kg of tobacco was worth..... seems crazy if your a smoker not to roll your own.

A filthy habit I'm glad I never started. 

Those who need a fag will either spend more buying the Thai ones, or turn to the cheaper "imports" from neighbouring countries. 

9 minutes ago, wombat said:

I've always wondered what a few kg of tobacco was worth..... seems crazy if your a smoker not to roll your own.

The local farmers sell it up here and some is ok.im now waiting to read that cigarette papers are to be made illegal or 500baht a pack.

4 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Good news,anything that maybe prevents new smokers and

also make smokers cut consumption is a good thing,smoking

really is a filthy habit,and the health issues it causes,they should

be banned completely ,that could never happen i know,expect

the smuggling of cigarettes from neighbouring countries to boom.  

regards worgeordie

A slave calling for more slavery !

Just wait until somebody comes and tells you what to eat, look on TV or what to think ...

ups ... sorry: they told you what to think already - and it's pretty much all wrong

2 hours ago, fruitman said:

Our friends went to singapore last week, brought me 8 cartons taxfree high quality cigarettes!

They went there to escape the pollution 55555. So please don't stop the pollution and i'll get taxfree stuff nonstop.

Define high quality cigarette. Are they good for your health or something?

Rooster

1 hour ago, brain150 said:

Just wait until somebody comes and tells you what to eat, look on TV or what to think ...

ups ... sorry: they told you what to think already - and it's pretty much all wrong

Choices,choices, some people make good ones,some make really 

stupid ones,who is the slave ? how long can you go without a cigarette  ?

regards worgeordie

11 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Choices,choices, some people make good ones,some make really 

stupid ones,who is the slave ? how long can you go without a cigarette  ?

regards worgeordie

Gave it up an hour before a heart attack, aint had one since, and I even have a dog end on the balcony to tempt me too

2 hours ago, brain150 said:

Did you aim for dumbest comparison of the week? 

Disencouraging smoking by not allowing it in certain public places is hardly the same as trying to brainwash the population. But this is a typical smokers way of thinking.

1) Why should I have to deal with the stench when people want to smoke in a public place? Fresh air is hard enough to get by these days without people spewing cancerous air into my and my babies face.

2) Although this does not count for Thailand, but back in Netherlands, why should my monthly health insurance fee go up because of all the health problems smokers have an increased risk on? 

In short, what gives a smoker the right to negatively influence my health and wallet? 

It was also mentioned in November that cig prices would increase to min 80 Bht per pack in Jan 2019 but it never happened.. 

It's a habit I stopped for many years, but unfortunately took it up again after divorcing my Thai wife recently.. Now another good opportunity to finally break the habit.. It is disgusting.. 

4 hours ago, GeoMill said:

Did you aim for dumbest comparison of the week? 

Disencouraging smoking by not allowing it in certain public places is hardly the same as trying to brainwash the population. But this is a typical smokers way of thinking.

1) Why should I have to deal with the stench when people want to smoke in a public place? Fresh air is hard enough to get by these days without people spewing cancerous air into my and my babies face.

2) Although this does not count for Thailand, but back in Netherlands, why should my monthly health insurance fee go up because of all the health problems smokers have an increased risk on? 

In short, what gives a smoker the right to negatively influence my health and wallet? 

Why should I have to breathe in the crap other people's cars spew out? Why should overweight people receive medical treatment? Why should rock climbers or lovers of contact sports burden society's wallet when they injure themselves?

The ostracising of smokers is going too far. I don't smoke myself, but if a (wo)man wants a fag in the same park as I am in or a designated smoking room at an airport, good luck to 'em, I say...

3 hours ago, owenm said:

It was also mentioned in November that cig prices would increase to min 80 Bht per pack in Jan 2019 but it never happened.. 

It's a habit I stopped for many years, but unfortunately took it up again after divorcing my Thai wife recently.. Now another good opportunity to finally break the habit.. It is disgusting.. 

It was 60 baht, and I've seen local vendors raising the SMS and Winston etc to 60 baht per pack in unison ???? Welcome cigs from cambodia for a fraction of the $ here.

Careful of the 200B cartons of MB's at the Laos friendship bridge duty free.  I thought I had bought a couple of rogue cartons a year (or so) ago.  But...I just bought a carton last week, and after a couple of cigarettes from a pack from the carton, I started coughing and hacking.  Same, same, as the last carton from there from the year before.  I went to 7-11 here, and bought a pack of MB...no problems.  Buyer beware. 

9 (1 pack from the carton gone) packs up for grabs (free for the taking), for anyone brave enough to want them....  

• 4 months later...

For years I have been buying my cigarettes in Mae Sai. Benson and Hedges made in Singapore at 40 baht a pack until recently increased to 50 baht.  I have dealt with the same supplier as long as I can remember, and just tell him how many cartons I require calls me when he has them and I give him the cash. I don't even have to cross the border as he has this all arranged. 

I can see more of this happening in the future. Would be nice to give it up, but.......................................

On 2/4/2019 at 10:38 AM, quandow said:

Slightly used toilet paper, I'm so relieved its not heavily used  ????????????

Archived