Shower Too Hot

MrPatrickThai

4 minutes ago, colinneil said:

OP what are you a cheapskate?

Hells teeth the last thing to mess about with is a wonky shower.

You know...... Water and electric, great combination.

All you need is 3.000 baht and replace it.

I wouldn't buy one that cheap, the ones I'm looking at now are around 7,000. 

I've had good results having a Mr. Fix-it Guy repair appliances/utility tools here rather than get a new one straight away.  But when it comes to electric water heaters, meh, I'd get a new one and be done with it. 

No, you'll need to install a water pump, or a more powerful one, to increase your water pressure.

There is a thread about pumped water heaters somewhere. IIRC the conclusion was that they're not available here but can be obtained in Malaysia (220V 50Hz so no issues with power).

If the flow is too low check all the mesh filters and your shower head, if it's still too low after cleaning it's time for a pump and tank (or a bigger pump).

Meanwhile, if the heater is stuck "on" it's likely the triac, they're not expensive but not really a DIY job, your local Mr Fixit may be able to help.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:55 AM, colinneil said:

OP what are you a cheapskate?

Hells teeth the last thing to mess about with is a wonky shower.

You know...... Water and electric, great combination.

All you need is 3.000 baht and replace it.

I was thinking that we could take turns at splashing him with cold water during his showers ...seeing as he's looking for help with the problem 

Don't think it's worth repairing. By the time you've had it looked at and "repaired" it may fail again sooner rather than later. To me it's a safety issue...scolding water and water / lecky don't mix well.  Most DIY places will fit new units for free, and the fitter might give you a few Baht for the old unit.(scrap value).

Do you have a safety isolation switch on a wall for the water heater? If so turn to off, or in fuse box. At least now you can have a cold shower.. 

I bought a new unit 2 years ago and with fairly low water pressure pumping the water to 2nd level.. The pump was a large capacity Mitsubishi, so that wasn't the problem. I discovered a plastic mesh filter in the water outlet hose to the shower head that is supposed to reduce the water pressure to give the unit a higher star XXXXX rating. Removing it boosted the pressure by about 20%.

Also many of the multi selection shower heads supplied with the units have a restricted water flow again to improve star rating XXXXX. 

Changing the head to a cheap 20 bht non adjustable will usually increase the outlet water pressure too.. 

These will not fix your current problem with your heat adjustable switch broken, but whether you attempt to have it fixed or replaced, still worth considering how to boost your water pressure.. And fit an external isolation switch if having it reinstalled professionally.. 

On 2/4/2019 at 4:45 AM, MrPatrickThai said:

Is there  an easy fix for this or would you recommend just getting a new one?

It is about 5 years old.

About life-time for many an instant water-heater in Thailand, so due time for a change. Forget repair, it's not worth it...????

we have a shower water heater in each of our bathrooms, they are rarely used.  We all just use the mains filtered water at whatever temperature it comes out at, usually comfortably warm, as the tank the water is drawn from is in the sun all day.   It s always enough and in winter can be quite stimulating in the early morning,  for the first few seconds. 

On 2/4/2019 at 10:45 AM, MrPatrickThai said:

My shower heater has broken. The dial to turn down the heat doesn't work.

Is it a rotary knob/dial from off (locked) continually to max (270 degree turn or so)?

Does it feel to turn very easy?

Often it's simply a broken plastic nose or even just "jumped off" from the potentiometer that is behind.

A zero Baht repair if you would dare to do it on your own.

Of course breaker off and secured.

Usually only one screw on the bottom to get the cover off and see what has happened/broken.

Such thing?

knob.jpg

As written I would not throw the device away before having checked that is simply some broken plastic pin.

1 hour ago, Jaxxper said:

Don't think it's worth repairing. By the time you've had it looked at and "repaired" it may fail again sooner rather than later. To me it's a safety issue...scolding water and water / lecky don't mix well.  Most DIY places will fit new units for free, and the fitter might give you a few Baht for the old unit.(scrap value).

Agree, safety is the key point, buy a new one today...

You were on the right track when you asked about increased water pressure.  You won't have to worry about the water heater if you increase your water pressure.  Increasing water flow will decrease the heat. You will be able to regulate it with the water input valve to the heater.  

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 2:00 PM, MrPatrickThai said:

I wouldn't buy one that cheap, the ones I'm looking at now are around 7,000. 

You don't need to buy a new unit 

Sounds like its just a buggered thermostat

Fifty bucks in OZZ don't know about here and not hard to replace if you a bit of a DIY

On 2/4/2019 at 10:45 AM, MrPatrickThai said:

My shower heater has broken. The dial to turn down the heat doesn't work.

The title of this thread "Shower too hot" then "My shower heater has broken. The dial to turn down the heat doesn't work"

Well hate to point out the obvious but if the ambient temperature is around the 30c. you are not going to get a cold shower no matter how far down you turn down the dial.

:coffee1:

8 hours ago, Formaleins said:

Get a Panasonic!

I'd second that. Mine is about ten years old and has never had a problem. The time I thought there was a problem with water flow it turned out to be only that the mesh filter hadn't been cleaned in, like, five years. I pull it out and wash it under the faucet every couple of years now. Can't remember what we paid for it, but it wasn't expensive.

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

The title of this thread "Shower too hot" then "My shower heater has broken. The dial to turn down the heat doesn't work"

Well hate to point out the obvious but if the ambient temperature is around the 30c. you are not going to get a cold shower no matter how far down you turn down the dial.

:coffee1:

30° is cold for me, and the water is colder than that. In April, when the temperature gets up to 42° the ground will be hot enough that the water is warm.

3 hours ago, GTgrizzly said:

Sounds like its just a buggered thermostat

Another possibility.

But the cheap ones do not have a thermostat but just overheat protection.

You simply control them through the rotary knob that directly controls the electric power (thyristor or so).

Same setting gives different temperature depending on inlet water temperature.

Water pressure: to check whether the inlet (sieve) is stuck just detach/unscrew the inlet hose and compare the flow.

But as the poster hasn't come back to the thread it's all shooting to the dark.

Archived