Farangs in Thailand: "They break the rules but the authorities protect them"

webfact

My experience from renting condos in TH tought me that there is

0 % chance getting back your deposit
70 % chance that the landlord cheat with electricity

Bad bad farrang.....

Complete nonsense I have rented two houses and a condo from Thai landlords and always got a receipt for my deposit and the deposit was always refunded in full, minus a cleaning charge which was a token amount and was clearly stated in the contract which I agreed to,
I always paid the rent by internet banking transfer so there was always a record of the payments I made , not that there was ever a dispute about non payment
On occasion there were problems with air con plumbing and other things and these were all sorted out by the landlords at no cost to me
In all cases my landlords at the time submitted the TM30 as required by law and I received the receipt stamped by the local immigration office confirming that he had actually submitted said TM 30
Perhaps you have been dealing with the wrong type of landlord

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Owes 8,000 THB, rent must be very cheap in that Phuket condo,

the guy is reported to have said that he paid the rent cash and

the owner would not give him receipt ,so it's who you believe.

regards worgeordie

It's about average around Phuket Town because the over supply they are everywhere, but Im thinking there is more to this why he wants a receipt because he has to do his TM-30 and would need to prove where he lives so she is shitting herself because she has never declared anything as most Thai's I know

8 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"We are Thais and this is our country but we can't take any action. If it was someone from Burma they wouldn't be given this protection."

Sums this racist chick up perfectly, these two lines.

Hope the bloke wrecks the gaff now.

No. Sums up the dirty money,  money, money.  Rot with money Royalty with the poor. SHAMELESS.

Daughter is fibbing me thinks.

As a foreigner, it is impossible to sign up for the internet unless you sign a 12 MONTH contract and pay for the entire year up front.

Only way around this is to use a Thai proxy on the contract.  I don't think the daughter or the mother acted as the proxy because if they did they just would have cancelled the contact.  But that did not happen because the guy has internet and has used it to communicate with the British embassy.

Would luuuv to hear David's side of the story.

Please post hear Mr Maclean if possible.

5 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Never lost a deposit in 18 years, god knows how many homes.. 

hardest 2 to get were both farangs..

Mixed bag for me over the years. Had one wealthy lady (head mistress at private school) rent me the house next door to hers.  I stayed for several years and ended up quiet close with her family. Would pick her son up from school and piano lessons sometimes when her and her husband had to go to Bangkok. Helped them sell 2 of their cars (and one motorbike) to farang buyers, posted ads for their other rental properties on farang websites to help them find tenants, etc ... etc.

When I finally left I hired professional cleaners and gardeners to tidy the place up better than when I first moved in.

She tried to keep my deposit, and when I asked why, no response. I had a lawyer call her and threaten litigation and she finally paid me.

Not sure what the problem was.  Maybe just in too much debt and quite simply didn't have the money to pay me.

7 hours ago, BEngBKK said:

My experience from renting condos in TH tought me that there is

0 % chance getting back your deposit
70 % chance that the landlord cheat with electricity

Bad bad farrang.....

You must be a really shitty tenant then ???? And also don't know how to form a lease both parties are happy with (ie. electricity on government rate, liabilities for usual living excluded etc)

My long term rents have always followed the course of: 
House checked mutually

Something apparently broken by my household= deducted from the deposit
Something irrelevant to my living there = handled by the landlord before renting the place to next person

One Landlord / Tenant dispute, and it's grown into a nationwide story of outrage ! I was sympathetic to their plight. Not anymore.

Only in Thailand would everyone vilify all foreigners based upon some stupid minor disagreement between one thai and one foreigner.

Thailand - Most racist country ever. Eva.

37 minutes ago, Time Traveller said:

One Landlord / Tenant dispute, and it's grown into a nationwide story of outrage ! I was sympathetic to their plight. Not anymore.

Only in Thailand would everyone vilify all foreigners based upon some stupid minor disagreement between one thai and one foreigner.

Thailand - Most racist country ever. Eva.

Exactly, and 98% of these people have the same thought process! It is indeed a highly racist country. 

1 minute ago, Aussieroaming said:

Regardless of her reasons for being peeved her rascism against farangs is now well broadcast. Congratulations slapper.

In a normal society, such a broadcasting might lose her some respect. However, in Thailand virtually every Thai shares her racist views.

They will quietly appreciate that she has said these things and support her. Private Face/Image.

The media (especially English language media) will try to create an impression that average Thais don't believe in racism. Public Face/Image. 

Nearly all the Asians are the same. They are all xenophobic, clan culture people. We farang are often too gullible and good natured to believe otherwise. 

3 minutes ago, Fex Bluse said:

In a normal society, such a broadcasting might lose her some respect. However, in Thailand virtually every Thai shares her racist views.

They will quietly appreciate that she has said these things and support her. Private Face/Image.

The media (especially English language media) will try to create an impression that average Thais don't believe in racism. Public Face/Image. 

Nearly all the Asians are the same. They are all xenophobic, clan culture people. We farang are often too gullible and good natured to believe otherwise. 

I have lived and or worked in 5 Asian countries, plus visited several others and Thailand is by far the worst that I have encountered for overt in your face broadcast rascism. Disappointing but a fact of life I guess. Not that westerners aren't prone to being xenophobic either, but its better subdued by authorities.

19 hours ago, webfact said:

"Foreigners break the rules in Thailand and nothing is done. They are even protected.

"We are Thais and this is our country but we can't take any action. If it was someone from Burma they wouldn't be given this protection.

Translation:

"We Thais should be able to do whatever we want to all foreigners in our country, irrespective of the law."

"We routinely violate and take advantage of people like the Burmese, for example. We should be able to treat Farang the same way, without consequence or any due process." 

The thing that jumps out at me is that with this attitude, Thais will NEVER have a true democratic form of government under the rule of law.  If you had a deadbeat renter in the UK or the USA, could you just stand outside ranting and raving get him out?  Would ranting on Facebook have any effect?  Of course not. 

This crazy bird talks about following the rules, but she isn't.  There is a very specific legal procedure for removing deadbeat tenants under the rule of law.  If he is not paying the rent and SHE follows the rules, the foreigner will be removed, not protected.  Why do things like this warrant mention in the news?  It only encourages the stupid mob mentality.

1 minute ago, The Preacher said:

The thing that jumps out at me is that with this attitude, Thais will NEVER have a true democratic form of government under the rule of law.  If you had a deadbeat renter in the UK or the USA, could you just stand outside ranting and raving get him out?  Would ranting on Facebook have any effect?  Of course not. 

This crazy bird talks about following the rules, but she isn't.  There is a very specific legal procedure for removing deadbeat tenants under the rule of law.  If he is not paying the rent and SHE follows the rules, the foreigner will be removed, not protected.  Why do things like this warrant mention in the news?  It only encourages the stupid mob mentality.

Totally agree. They actually do not want a democracy. They, like China, only pretend to gain international benefit. I think it's a mistake to assume they aspire to our ideals.

They live in and believe in and find comfort in a society with traditional Asian values, paramount of which is the idea that everyone is UNEQUAL. They don't believe in equality. This is why it's so easy for them to expect that they can treat foreigners any way they want. Foreigners are NOT equal, not even under law, in their thinking. 

19 hours ago, Bullie said:

Apart from anything I have yet to meet the first farang that got his deposit back after termination of a rental agreement, so I am quite enjoying this spat....

Umm I got all my deposit back...6 months in Bangkok-Bearing 2017....

Yes, some are very kind - and have gone out of their way to help me when I needed help, even though I didn't even know them.

And I live on Phuket!
Then why have so many foreigners been scammed, had passports stolen, been robbed, drugged, beaten, lied on, drugs planted on them, and locked up for no reason?

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

Then why have so many foreigners been scammed, had passports stolen, been robbed, drugged, beaten, lied on, drugs planted on them, and locked up for no reason?

There is good and bad, in everyone.

Sent from my nobody cares what device your using.

All these years foreigners have been getting scammed; the gem scam, tuk tuk scam, seafood restaurant scam, sell you ganja and get you arrested scam, suit scam, jet ski scam, charge you double on everything scam, bird seed scam (the list never ends) but maybe now the tables have been turned? Oh, I see splash said the same thing, sorry.

52 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

Yes, some are very kind - and have gone out of their way to help me when I needed help, even though I didn't even know them.

And I live on Phuket!

19 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

Because (same as every country), some people are kind, whilst others are the opposite.

Archived