Farangs in Thailand: "They break the rules but the authorities protect them"

webfact

21 hours ago, pomozki said:

I don't believe them. This guy might be overreacting (!) but he keep insisting he withheld the rent because the woman refused to give him a receipt. I find it hard to believe that he would simply refuse to pay the rent and lock himself in because he didn't have the money or didn't have any reasonable excuse.
Just ask the lady to show a copy of the receipt, or at least let her answer the question: did you refuse to give him a receipt, if so why?

I had a similar problem when I was renting. The landlord would not supply evidence of his id for immigration when applying for an extension. The guy may have needed a receipt for visa extension. It is his right to have it and he can refuse to pay without a receipt being furnished. Landlords here try their best to avoid taxes on their condo rentals. That being so they create problems for foreigners who are required by law to provide proof of where they live / contracts etc.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 hours ago, Bullie said:

To me it sounds like she is angry because farang can sometimes have the law on their side, too. It is well possible the man has mental problems, and the consulate is rightly assisting a citizen in need of help.

Apart from anything I have yet to meet the first farang that got his deposit back after termination of a rental agreement, so I am quite enjoying this spat....

I've rented loads of properties and not once lost my deposit, you must mix with a different sort to me.

22 hours ago, Bullie said:

To me it sounds like she is angry because farang can sometimes have the law on their side, too. It is well possible the man has mental problems, and the consulate is rightly assisting a citizen in need of help.

Apart from anything I have yet to meet the first farang that got his deposit back after termination of a rental agreement, so I am quite enjoying this spat....

Actually I DID get my deposit back on the last house I had rented for three and a half years.  The landlady was sorry to see me go.  

When after a couple of days I went back to get my deposit returned the only deduction was for the electric I had used and the broadband.  Which I felt was fair enough.

Wow, all over 8,000 THB!

I have had shocking experiences renting motorcycles from Thai teachers. As a consequence, I would always pay into their bank accounts, ideally getting a Thai friend to send it online with a message. "Honda Wave rent, Jan - May 2019".

(They tried double dipping - demanding rent be paid  a g a i n  after me having prepaid for months! No, they didn't need the money. 

No pay? No stay! 

23 hours ago, CelticBhoy said:

"We are Thais and this is our country but we can't take any action. If it was someone from Burma they wouldn't be given this protection."

Sums this racist chick up perfectly, these two lines.

Hope the bloke wrecks the gaff now.

Hmmmm. She sounds very reasonable to me. What is bigoted about her comment? If the roles were reversed who would you side with? 

Do you really think a Burmese expat would be treated the same as this guy? I don't. 

Should the owner be providing catered meals to the guy?

From the limited content in the Fakebook account, I'd have to side with the condo owner. Just because other expats may be screwed by Thai landlords has no relevance to this case in particular. 

I've been in this situation in the USA with renters and I had to take them to court, get a judgment against them, and then garnishee their wages for 2 years. To me it was a net loss. Was I wrong to do so

Rentals are business arrangements, not social causes. Personally I'd be asking the internet company, the electric and water companies to cut his service, but I doubt I'd be successful. I couldn't legally do so in the USA. 

It's painfully obvious that you've never owned rental property. 

We are Thais and this is our country but we can't take any action. If it was someone from Burma they wouldn't be given this protection

Very racist and low people ! Hopefully I will never have to deal with these kind of witches ( mae mot ) ????

On 2/5/2019 at 12:12 PM, RocketDog said:

Hmmmm. She sounds very reasonable to me. What is bigoted about her comment? If the roles were reversed who would you side with? 

Do you really think a Burmese expat would be treated the same as this guy? I don't. 

Should the owner be providing catered meals to the guy?

From the limited content in the Fakebook account, I'd have to side with the condo owner. Just because other expats may be screwed by Thai landlords has no relevance to this case in particular. 

I've been in this situation in the USA with renters and I had to take them to court, get a judgment against them, and then garnishee their wages for 2 years. To me it was a net loss. Was I wrong to do so

Rentals are business arrangements, not social causes. Personally I'd be asking the internet company, the electric and water companies to cut his service, but I doubt I'd be successful. I couldn't legally do so in the USA. 

It's painfully obvious that you've never owned rental property. 

He says he paid the rent, she says he didn't, that is all we know, its a civil case, it should go to court not the internet judge and jury.  As for cutting off services, that is unethical and I would support jail time for anyone involved in that.

On 2/4/2019 at 12:28 PM, worgeordie said:

Owes 8,000 THB, rent must be very cheap in that Phuket condo,

the guy is reported to have said that he paid the rent cash and

the owner would not give him receipt ,so it's who you believe.

regards worgeordie

Hope he has proof to that effect, a receipt at least.........the landlord may be old and forgetful which is not out of the question,,,,,,,,,,,,or, maybe the 8000 was for the Internet connection they helped him get and he is refusing to pay  -  who knows..........stay tuned.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 12:54 PM, pomozki said:

I don't believe them. This guy might be overreacting (!) but he keep insisting he withheld the rent because the woman refused to give him a receipt. I find it hard to believe that he would simply refuse to pay the rent and lock himself in because he didn't have the money or didn't have any reasonable excuse.
Just ask the lady to show a copy of the receipt, or at least let her answer the question: did you refuse to give him a receipt, if so why?

i hold to the principle myself, 'no receipt-no money'

and the maids here simply can not accept the principle

of proper business manner

On 2/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, Thailand said:

My thoughts also, the British Embassy are generally very little help for anything and this just does not ring true. Or maybe they have more time on their hands not issuing income letters to their citizens nowadays.

Ah now lets  talk about thai landlords and deposits.  I have been renting a Bangkok condo for 18 months and just given the contractual 3 months written notice to terminate, also asking if the deposit could be paid back on inspection as i will be leaving Thailand, to which a phone call told me i would have to forego my 26.000 bt deposit due to a late monthly payment, which i have to admit is true, 1 day late at month 9 and at month 12 the contract rolled on for another 6 months without any mention of this penalty ir comment, but the landlord hasnt taken into account the frothing at the bit Thai Mrs.  Ouch !!

Had someone arrive at my condo to check up on an elderly sick man from Brit embassy once. Although I do side on those saying embassies are usually not helpful.

Anyway. Guy hasn't paid. Can't show receipt or proof of payment. Kick him out after giving him a week. Simple things of reasoning, why so hard.

I witness Thai nationals braking the law everyday in full view of the Thai authorities, and getting away with it!

I feel there is more to this story than meets the eye.

Extortion? Over charging? Normal change of the rules and regulations or hidden charges being pulled out of the bag etc, possibly on her part?

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2019 at 12:44 PM, Thailand said:

My thoughts also, the British Embassy are generally very little help for anything and this just does not ring true. Or maybe they have more time on their hands not issuing income letters to their citizens nowadays.

If true then it would probably be the Honorary Consul who is an unpaid volunteer, 

Archived