Eight different ‘Thaksins’ and a ‘Yingluck’ vying for votes in Northeast

webfact

Eight different ‘Thaksins’ and a ‘Yingluck’ vying for votes in Northeast

By The Nation

30b0586e0fffbb657085c73daeb07a2f.jpeg

Several Pheu Chart Party candidates in the coming election have actually changed their names to “Thaksin” in the hope of capitalising on the continuing popularity of the party’s ostensible patron, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

No fewer than six candidates named Thaksin registered under the Pheu Chart banner on Monday morning in Nakhon Ratchasima, and another two in Phayao.

Pheu Chart was established as a strategic stopgap in the event the Pheu Thai Party’s ambitions are tripped up by complicated new electoral regulations.

One rule prevents a party that wins many constituency seats to win more party-list seats, so Pheu Chart is there to share votes cast for party-list seats without seeking victories for constituency MPs.

In Nakhon Ratchasima, where 14 House seats are up for grabs, Pheu Chart registered six Thaksins and a woman candidate who changed her name to Yingluck, after Thaksin’s sister and fellow ousted ex-PM.

Sod Foksanthia, who’s contesting the election as Thaksin Khuankhoksunng, said the former premier brought prosperity to Thailand and was well known globally.

“I changed my name because Thaksin remains in the hearts of both the grassroots and middle-class people,” Sod-Thaksin said. “Everybody in our country knows Thaksin and Yingluck.”

The new “Yingluck” was heretofore known as Kanokwan Phetraksa and has kept that surname, but fancied a new first name that would be easier for voters to recognise.

“This is our party’s tactic,” she said. “Yingluck has done a lot of good things for the society. We don’t want people to forget her – we would like them to remember her forever.”

In Phayao, where 12 parties registered candidates on Monday morning, Pheu Chart unveiled two more Thaksins.

The former Jiraroj Kiratisakworakul and Praphan Sinchai will contest Constituency 1 and 2, respectively. They too kept their surnames.

Pheu Chart’s other man in the race stuck with his original moniker – Pichet Chaiyanetr.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/detail/breakingnews/30363486

thenation_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation 2019-02-04

“Yingluck has done a lot of good things for the society. We don’t want people to forget her – we would like them to remember her forever.”

But she couldn't actually state all those good things!

People will remember her for being a good actress, a puppet, hardly attending parliament, never attending the rice committee she was supposed to chair, flying outside Thailand a lot, trying to set up a 2.2 trillion baht mega scam opportunity, all her lies, and allowing her crooked non elected bro to run the country whilst on the run.

Yep people will remember her for sometime - but forever is a bit of stretch!

13 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

“Yingluck has done a lot of good things for the society. We don’t want people to forget her – we would like them to remember her forever.”

People will remember her for being a good actress, a puppet, hardly attending parliament, never attending the rice committee she was supposed to chair, flying outside Thailand a lot, trying to set up a 2.2 trillion baht mega scam opportunity, all her lies, and allowing her crooked non elected bro to run the country whilst on the run.

Maybe just remembering a rather small detail of she being an elected leader. It has been 5 years and perhaps you forgotten the legitimacy of being elected. 

I have always been amazed how easy (and fast) it is in this country to change your name on a whim and without any compelling reason. It seems like a great way for all sorts of criminals to achieve a clean slate. Which does not go to imply that there might be any criminals among that bunch of individuals mentioned in the OP; for in that case they're little more than shameless opportunists. 

16 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Just think, every expat should go home and change their name by deed to John Smith.

Would love to see 3 plane loads of them arriving within 10 minutes at DMK and SVB.

I'll change mine to Teresa May. Maybe I can get a hefty discount on British Airways.

17 minutes ago, Misterwhisper said:

I have always been amazed how easy (and fast) it is in this country to change your name on a whim and without any compelling reason.

I had an ex change her name (and phone number) "for luck"

needless to say that relationship didn't last too long.

2 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

I will remember her for being pretty hot!

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Several Pheu Chart Party candidates in the coming election have actually changed their names to “Thaksin” in the hope of capitalising on the continuing popularity of the party’s ostensible patron, former prime minister Thaksin Shinawatra.

This action is worse than kindergarten.... :omfg:

Personally I think it is brilliant...and totally necessary to try and side step any tricks that the Junta might try...think about that debacle they tried with changing the ballot form format for example where no party name or symbol could be used...would this changing of names not been a perfect antidote?

It is quite cunning......

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

i remember Yingluck for that grand flood mitigation program something akin to Prayut's drought program , nothing happened and how can we not remember the new improved once every three months a new education guidelines along with a new minister.

3 hours ago, Baerboxer said:

True, & they will be thinking at least she wasn't as bad as everyone of her predecessors, everyone of whom, apart from here brother were thrown out of power before their term ended for massive corruption :shock1:

The first Thai woman I went out with...had changed her name twice before I met her and my last GF changed her name twice in a year. 

They can only change the first name not the family name as far as I am aware.

The faffing about at City hall and her going back to back woods Isaan to do the paperwork and get new I.D. card and bank cards was a pain.

And why - because some monk told her the new names were lucky....after she paid him to tell her all this. 

As for the election - complete waste of time. Nothing will change nor the people really in charge.

11 hours ago, bowerboy said:

Personally I think it is brilliant...and totally necessary to try and side step any tricks that the Junta might try...think about that debacle they tried with changing the ballot form format for example where no party name or symbol could be used...would this changing of names not been a perfect antidote?

It is quite cunning......

Is it as cunning as a cunning fox who has been appointed as professor of cunning at Oxford university?

Archived