Due To Thai Immigrations new financial Rules / Reqs I Need Help With Money Transfer(s)

28 minutes ago, rocketman777 said:

You can use PayPal - need a US PayPal Acc and Thai PayPal Acc.

I used this method in the past, however I use Transfer wise now as its cheaper and I do not transfer back to the US

Excellent rocketman ... thank you ... I've had a US Paypal acct ... for many many years ... I have been tryin'(not to hard) to figure out the steps needed to open a Thai PayPal acct ... can you tell me how this can be accomplished? ... I think I need 2 valid email addresses, one for US PP, one for Thailand PP

Also gonna spend sometime researchin' "Transfer Wise"

OP you send “X” amount here then send some back to US?.......

as things go even though OP asked no jabs..  someone had their 

hand on the button and couldn’t refrain.

US Embassy letter I used it everytime with 4x legit required income needed.

But didn’t keep money in Thai bank.... it was less hassle and time consuming.

21 hours ago, arithai12 said:

That was a long preface, I lost you at chapter 3.

Anyway, your question would be better answered if you actually specified how much money you want to transfer and how often.

Thank you arithai12 for taking time to help me ... the long preface was to assist other admirable positive folks like yourself to understand why I needed help and answer any questions you may have upfront .... I would like to transfer $100 USD back and forth once every month

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Dee Money easy to transfer money out.  I guess you don't live in Thailand. 

Thanks for Dee money info marcusarelus, appreciate it ... as I mentioned, in original post, I have been living in Thailand since 2006 (13 years) and still live here with my fantastic Thai wife and 2 sons all living in our completley paid for Thai home, built by very capable Thai people. I hope to live with my Thai family in our Thai home til I die or Immigration decides to ruin the lives of four happy people by running me out of Thailand for no reason at all, except just because they can

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, adam1948 said:

Thank you arithai12 for taking time to help me ... the long preface was to assist other admirable positive folks like yourself to understand why I needed help and answer any questions you may have upfront .... I would like to transfer $100 USD back and forth once every month

Are you stating your income from the US doesn't meet the 40K monthly requirement.

4 hours ago, robertson468 said:

Does your Wife work?  It might be to get her to take out a 400,000 baht loan from her Bank and deposit that in your Thai Bank Account and leave it there for ever?  Good luck, you must be beside yourself with worry on how to solve this problem.

Thank you so very much robertson468 for your compassion and well wishes, means a lot to families such as ours ... taking out loan is good suggestion, may end up going to Thai bank and using paid for home as collateral ... No my wife does not work ... we live in a very remote area and no decent jobs available ...

• Like 2

3 hours ago, pr9spk said:

I had terrible issues getting my Thai bank to transfer money abroad, ending up withdrawing the sums as cash and going to super rich, worked out very good rates actually.

Hi pr9spk, thanks for your reply ... what is the "super rich" you spoke of?

On 2/4/2019 at 4:21 PM, Myran said:

Best way to transfer money to your Thai account would probably be Transferwise. Don't think they transfer from Thailand, though, so you'd have to try a difference service for that or just do a regular bank transfer.

I use Transferwise and it works great, but it shows up in my Thai bank account as a DOMESTIC deposit from TMB bank. I'm going into Thai Immigrations next week to do my 90-Day, and am intending to take my bank book and ask them if they will accept this as proof of income. I'll post the results here on Thai Visa. However, I live in Phetchabun, so what is accepted here might not be the same as in other Immigration offices. And, they might not even be able to tell me yet since all this is so new. 

52 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Are you stating your income from the US doesn't meet the 40K monthly requirement.

Yes, with the drop of the USD in the exchange rate I'm now $30/$40 USD short each month ... I guess this means to some I should pack my bags, kiss my wife and sons goodbye and go back to USA, leaving them to fend for themselves ... sounds a little cold and heartless to me, but oh well why worry about them, we are just a small family and they are just my wife and sons who I happen to love and they love me ... lets by all means throw the baby out with the bath water and simply go about our lives like everythings just fine ... I'm sure wife and sons will be able to find work without any problem and they and Thai economy will certainly never miss my paltry 39,000 Baht every monthe ............ one must always remember common sense is a flower that doesn't grow in everyones garden???????? 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, billsmart said:

I use Transferwise and it works great, but it shows up in my Thai bank account as a DOMESTIC deposit from TMB bank. I'm going into Thai Immigrations next week to do my 90-Day, and am intending to take my bank book and ask them if they will accept this as proof of income. I'll post the results here on Thai Visa. However, I live in Phetchabun, so what is accepted here might not be the same as in other Immigration offices. And, they might not even be able to tell me yet since all this is so new. 

I would love to hear your IOs reaction to your "DOMESTIC" deposit. If they accept it there's a good chance my local IO will also ... could make a world of difference in my situation, please let me/us know the outcome ... will be waiting on pins and needles to hear the results .... thank you billsmart ... gonna keep my fingers crossed????

Would like to take this opportunity to thank overherebc, Myran, ThomasThBKK, happy chappie, arithai12, freedomnow, Sheryl, how241, Danthai, tgeezer, JackThompson, marcusarelus, Chassa, lmaxv, crees, robertson468, AAArdvark, pr9spk, dcnx, Tanoshi, rocketman777, DJ54, billsmart for your help and support

• Like 2

One last question guys
I've read all the online TVF threads/pages(several hundred) and no one seems to know for sure if the funds coming INTO ones bank account has to be coded as a incoming "foreign" deposit or can it be simply coded as a regular/normal "in country Thailand" deposit?(domestic) With all the threads and pages dedicated to this IO rule/req. it still remains as a fuzzy mystery as to what is required
   1) Does deposit have to be from outside  Thailand(foreign)
   2) Can deposit be made inside Thailand(domestic)

Does anyone out there know for sure what is required by Immigration Office?

i.e. Can we just use ATM to get money from USA and then simply deposit the money ourselves into Thai bank account which would show up as a "domestic"(?) deposit or must we have funds transfered from USA bank into Thai bank which would show up as "foreign" deposit?

If only Lamont Cranston were still alive He would know the answer

Edited by adam1948
bad spacing
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, adam1948 said:

I've read all the online TVF threads/pages(several hundred) and no one seems to know for sure if the funds coming INTO ones bank account has to be coded as a incoming "foreign" deposit or can it be simply coded as a regular/normal "in country Thailand" deposit?(domestic) With all the threads and pages dedicated to this IO rule/req. it still remains as a fuzzy mystery as to what is required

I've had this question answered by a couple of long-time and knowledgeable posters on here and they are in agreement that this deposit for the 65k per month income method has to come from outside of Thailand.

As for the other question, well I would suppose this "outside of Thailand" funds deposited here would also apply rather than an internal deposit.

1 hour ago, adam1948 said:

One last question guys

If you can no longer obtain an Embassy Income letter then according to the orders income must be transferred from overseas into a Thai bank. Whether they enforce that rule is arguable.

The reason being it is how overseas funds are transferred and recorded by Thai banks.

Pension paid directly from Government/Armed Forces go through the Bank of Thailand and show as a BTN payment.

Transfers foreign bank to Thai bank go through the Head office branches and may be recorded as 'local' payments.

Transfers through agencies such as Transferwise are paid from one of their local accounts with BKK, Kasikorn or TMB.

Bangkok bank appear to be the only bank that record the origination of the transfer.

Typically transfers direct from your foreign bank or Transferwise are coded FTT (Foreign Telex Transfer).

On 2/7/2019 at 5:26 AM, Blue bruce said:

i have also used Bangkok Bank to transfer money into and out of Thailand. No problems

Please enlarge on exactly how your remittances FROM Bangkok Bank TO your overseas bank account are enabled. Please be precise.

Thanks,

It's really very simple, you must go into the Bangkok Bank branch and tell the clerk you want to trsnsfer money out of Thailand to wherever.

You then fill out a form stating whom you are sending the money to, their account number and swift number. You hand the clerk the money and she gives you a copy of the transfer. Usually takes 3 days. Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

Transferwise. Meh. Very slick marketing.

Too bad they're actually WORSE than most banks if you do some basic research. 

Even the most dotardly among us should know by now, modern media and marketing exist to manipulate first and 'inform', comes a distant second.

For money transfers that don't rip you off with 'idiots dancing' marketing, try Worldfirst.com instead.

On 2/4/2019 at 4:44 PM, happy chappie said:

Yes money sent to Thailand very rarely leaves the country.its a one way ticket in most cases.

Most Thai banks have a facility to transfer money out of Thailand, but you may be disappointed with the exchange rate, unless you transfer from Thailand to off-shore and then to the home country. more expensive in fees,  but a much better exchange rate. 

The sanest post that I have read on this subject. Before I moved here, I never imagined that there would be a group of expats so prepared to look down their noses at those who brought less of a lump sum or who qualify fully under the monthly regulations but fall short due to technicalities. I continuously get the attitude of "tough donkey, Jack, should've saved your money for a rainy day."   In my case, I suppose that sentence could be lengthened to "...shouldn't have developed cancer and a brain cyst in the same six-month period".  I seriously doubt that I am the only one in this situation. Some times, I look back and can't believe that I survived all that medical trauma. My monthly income is more than enough to satisfy the requirements, but half of it has had to stay in the USA to pay bills that I owe there. Posts that exhibit the kind of attitude that I mentioned, should be deleted and the offenders put on notice or banned. Many of us never had the advantage of "golden parachute" separation from jobs paying more than 100 K a year. Many more could not bring 400 to 800 K in a lump sum with them to enrich the same Thai banking system that does not want to open accounts for many of us. Still amazed at the attitudes displayed on TVF.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Small Joke said:

Even the most dotardly among us should know by now, modern media and marketing exist to manipulate first and 'inform', comes a distant second.

For money transfers that don't rip you off with 'idiots dancing' marketing, try Worldfirst.com instead.

Nothing to choose between them, but TW come out on top for personal transfers up to $20,000.

TW, small fee but better rates.

WF, no fee, but lower rates.

https://www.thecurrencyshop.com.au/reviews/transferwise-vs-world-first

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Small Joke said:

You really believe that TransferWise are worse than what I was using before?

quote "Transferwise. Meh. Very slick marketing. Too bad they're actually WORSE than most banks if you do some basic research."

Strange as it may seem to you, I did some basic research and settled on TW as my best option and they are far better than most banks.. You may not agree with my decision and I really don't care, but please try not to assume that everybody is stupid.

I made TW my choice as have many others on TVF. 

You made your choice.

Since I went over to TW last November I no longer wait 3 to 5 days for my pension to appear in the bank. I get an sms from TW the moment my pensions are deposited, I set up the transfer to my BKK bank account and unless the pension is paid on a Friday them money from TW is in my BKK band usually by 2:15 pm the next day.

I can track the transfer plus TW gives me a better rate of exchange than my bank normally gives. They also detail how much I transfer and what the forex rate is and they stick to that amount until the transfer is completed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Small Joke said:

Todays exchange rates;

TW £1000 = 40,478 received.

WF £1000 = 40,402 received.

TW £10,000 = 405.331 received.

WF £10,000 = 404,020 received.

In the words of Forest Gump; Stupid is, as stupid does.

Guess you've just highlighted who's the idiot.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

Todays exchange rates;

TW £1000 = 40,478 received.

WF £1000 = 40,402 received.

TW £10,000 = 405.331 received.

WF £10,000 = 404,020 received.

In the words of Forest Gump; Stupid is, as stupid does.

Guess you've just highlighted who's the idiot.

I  didn't like that the transfer fee went up with the amount transferred with Transferwise, I don't pay anything for a Swift. But TW still worked out better because they offered a better exchange rate. Not sure if that advantage is lost with bigger transfers.. but unlikely.

• Like 1