UK visitor visa application.

Further to my original thread, https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/1078039-uk-and-schengen-at-same-time-possible/   Things have changed slightly, in that we will now be taking my girlfriend's 6 year old daughter with us.

For the UK visa applications, I have been reading theoldgit's  UK Visa information compilation, and UK gov website, and trying to get my head around where to start.

I think I am totally misunderstanding something here. I/They (mother and daughter) apply online first to the UK? Then post original documents to the UK? Then take documents to VFS for scanning? Is this correct? Will they have to wait for documents to be returned from the UK?

I think I am going wrong here somewhere. Can I just do everything through VFS?

What sort of proof of relationship is acceptable? Photos? Screenshots from messaging app? What else?

Evidence of status of relationship and circumstances?

We live together in my apartment. Everything is in my name, so no documentary proof. What might suffice?

Screenshot from my phone of calls made over a period of time is the only thing I can think of.

Any advice on where/ how one can get a flight and hotel booking that is not paid for upfront?

We don't live in BKK, so we will need to fly there and connect onwards to UK.  Is it possible to book BKK Airways without paying?

So many questions, and I am only just starting.

Thanks in advance.

'I/They (mother and daughter) apply online first to the UK? Then post original documents to the UK? Then take documents to VFS for scanning? Is this correct? Will they have to wait for documents to be returned from the UK?'

Yes, they apply online and then they attend the Visa Application Centre to have their biometric details captured, the documents are scanned by VFS and sent to India electronically, the documents are then returned to the applicant.

What sort of proof of relationship is acceptable? Photos? Screenshots from messaging app? What else? 

We live together in my apartment. Everything is in my name, so no documentary proof. What might suffice?

Screenshot from my phone of calls made over a period of time is the only thing I can think of. If you live together in Thaiand, you'll need to prove that, does she have anything to show she lives at your address, bank statements, pone bills, etc etc. If you're both living together here in Thailand I doubt if you would be messaging each other. UKVI advise not to send photos. 

Any advice on where/ how one can get a flight and hotel booking that is not paid for upfront? You shouldn't book flights or make non refundable hotel bookings intil the visa has been issued.

We don't live in BKK, so we will need to fly there and connect onwards to UK.  Is it possible to book BKK Airways without paying? As I've said before you shouldn't book your flights until the visa has been issued.

Taking your girlfriends child to the UK isn't a slight change, it's a massive one. Is the childs father ok  with the daughter travelling to the UK, does your girlfriend have sole custody?

17 hours ago, theoldgit said:

'I/They (mother and daughter) apply online first to the UK? Then post original documents to the UK? Then take documents to VFS for scanning? Is this correct? Will they have to wait for documents to be returned from the UK?'

Yes, they apply online and then they attend the Visa Application Centre to have their biometric details captured, the documents are scanned by VFS and sent to India electronically, the documents are then returned to the applicant.

Screenshot from my phone of calls made over a period of time is the only thing I can think of. If you live together in Thaiand, you'll need to prove that, does she have anything to show she lives at your address, bank statements, pone bills, etc etc. If you're both living together here in Thailand I doubt if you would be messaging each other. UKVI advise not to send photos. 

Any advice on where/ how one can get a flight and hotel booking that is not paid for upfront? You shouldn't book flights or make non refundable hotel bookings intil the visa has been issued.

We don't live in BKK, so we will need to fly there and connect onwards to UK.  Is it possible to book BKK Airways without paying? As I've said before you shouldn't book your flights until the visa has been issued.

Taking your girlfriends child to the UK isn't a slight change, it's a massive one. Is the childs father ok  with the daughter travelling to the UK, does your girlfriend have sole custody?

We use LINE app all the time. As do all of her friends. Calls are free, and messaging convenient, as she cannot always answer the phone when she is busy at work. I just thought that with screenshots, it would show that we communicate a lot, as it shows dates and times.

Most things, such as phone bills and statement seem to be paperless nowadays, but I will ask her to get some paper versions. 

Thanks for advice regarding not booking flights. I wasn't sure if they would have to show a flight booking with their application.

You are right about needing father's agreement. I didn't even think of that. We will get a letter of consent from him.

I presume that like all other documents, it will need to be officially translated into English.

Once again, you have been very helpful.

Thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

A few more questions:

Does the visa service company give you a set appointment date and time? Or does one ask for one that suits oneself?

I ask because when my GF applies for visas for both herself and 6 y.o. daughter, I presume that they will need to be done as separate applications online. How would she ensure that the two applications are considered together?

TIA

Archived