a good hanging ?

orang37

I've never had someone else hang pictures on the wall for me, but, there are several reasons I may do that now, including my impaired vision, a fear of falling, and not wanting to damage the walls of a place I am renting. In the US I knew how to locate studs in the wall and use those, but these walls are typical Thai concrete whatever: afaik I am the only stud in the house.

I know several good local framers, but, don't know anyone who specializes in hanging. I experimented with some 3M stick-on mounts: they be crap.

Any ideas ?

thanks, ~o:37;

do you know a local thai handiman ?    best way to proceed is to  drill (with a good drill) a small hole, put a plastic thingy (pook, in thai) in the hole , and then a screw in the pook.

When/ if leaving the hole can be spackled and painted over to leave a smooth finish .  I just leave the few

in our rental house..... for other renters to hang something on.

Helps to know the exact color of paint on wall if owner wants you to fix hole when leaving.

These.....Hole is drilled the same diameter as the plastic anchor.....

The anchor should be snug & pushed/tapped into the hole....

The screw is then screwed into the anchor creating a strong compression grip into the wall.....

You want to drill in to the same depth as the length of the anchor....

images-133.jpg

Consider the weight of the object to be hung. That's important. Then find the corresponding size of expansion plug. These come in all sizes, from one inch long and very thin to several inches long and as thick as a small cigar. If you are just hanging a small framed picture, a one-inch plug will do. A Flat-screen TV will require more.

Yes to all the above.

Do check out your landlord first , if he requires you to conceal any holes upon leaving bear in mind that matching the colour is not always as easy as it sounds.

If the wall is concrete drill a small hole first ( around 3mm ) to stop the finish drill size wandering.

On the plus side , I learnt a new word today “ spackled “ !

9 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

The screw is then screwed into the anchor creating a strong compression grip into the wall.....

images-133.jpg

Note - cement/tile/masonry drills are different than wood/metal drill bits.....They have a more biting leading edge....Usually use exerting pressure then firmly easy,  then pressure then firmly easy to help the bite.....I mark the drill bit at the same length as the anchor to be installed know where to stop.....

images-71.jpg

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Do check out your landlord first , if he requires you to conceal any holes upon leaving bear in mind that matching the colour is not always as easy as it sounds.

If it's not a Rembrandt, just leave the picture on the wall when checking out.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

And I learned a new Thai saying I would have thought would be completely different... :coffee1:

a screw in the pook

Yes to all of the above.

orang37, if you find someone good, please pass on the contact. Thanks. We are also looking for someone who knows what they are doing. We have many items that need to be hung and they are identical in size, therefore they have to be absolutely straight, spaced evenly, and done by someone who knows what they are doing.

32 minutes ago, Bill97 said:

3M makes a super strength double sided tape for hanging stuff in bathrooms. Works well out of bathrooms too. Home Pro has it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thaivisa Connect

Yeah, the 3M stuff works on the tile walls quite well. Lasts for about 3 years or so.

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

I think we covered every base in my  tongue in cheek thread last month.

Loads of ideas here

That's a good thread. But I want someone who can hang about 3 rows; each row with about 8 frames, spaced evenly from frame to frame side to side and evenly spaced on each row. So someone who can properly measure and drill 24 holes at the correct spot.

10 hours ago, sfokevin said:
12 hours ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

And I learned a new Thai saying I would have thought would be completely different... :coffee1:

a screw in the pook

you never had a "screw in the pook" ?     yep, both spackle and pook were in my first post to the mystical and whimsical poster who needs help with such complex matters (real life, that is).   I also did not get a like for my suggestion and have been sitting at home moping all day.  booohoooo  .38

On 2/5/2019 at 11:30 AM, Bill97 said:

3M makes a super strength double sided tape for hanging stuff in bathrooms. Works well out of bathrooms too. Home Pro has it.

I wasted some baht on 3m rxtra heavy stick-on hanging hooks: not reliable.

~o:37;

39 minutes ago, orang37 said:

I wasted some baht on 3m rxtra heavy stick-on hanging hooks: not reliable.

how long did they last before you dropped ?

a little "black humor"  should elicit some barbs from the gallery .   

I use a leveler (liquid with air bubble) that has a laser beam attached, to get a picture to hang beautifully.  It takes two folks to get the markings done, but it’s a quick job.

If you’re not worried about power/water issues behind your drill-spot, I’d say go for it: forgiveness vs permission. (But that’s just me).

Also, I have used white toothpaste (tinted with acrylic or other pigments) to quickly cover drill holes.  Of course sparkle works too.  But, IMO, it’s really not that hard to get a spot-on color match.

On 2/4/2019 at 10:59 PM, pgrahmm said:

images-133.jpg

We used to call them RAWLPLUGS.

1 minute ago, orang37 said:

I don't remember ... I get all choked up trying to think about it.

call me next time.   I think i can put an end to that . 

give me five.   i won't leave you hangin  ????

Tsk, Tsk.

Can put a man on the moon but can't hang a picture on a concrete wall.????

Get a UK mate to bring you some picture hooks

standard-no.0-picture-hooks-including-pi

Or You might find below at Home Pro?

blitz-tris-hard-wall-hooks-large--1852-p

But they are not as good as the old fashioned one above.

4 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

Tsk, Tsk.

Can put a man on the moon but can't hang a picture on a concrete wall.????

Get a UK mate to bring you some picture hooks

standard-no.0-picture-hooks-including-pi

Or You might find below at Home Pro?

blitz-tris-hard-wall-hooks-large--1852-p

But they are not as good as the old fashioned one above.

Neither of those would work on 90% of walls in Thailand.

Archived