BANGKOK
Alex80

Digital nomad - visa and work permit

Hi everyone,

I'm from Italy and I'm a planning a mid term staying in thailand (6 months). I actually work for an italian company in the IT market and I want to keep working while in Thailand.

There is *a lot* of confusion about this kind of work. Which VISA should apply for? I should try to get a work permit or simply get a tourist VISA?

My goal is to be able to move permanently in the future, so I would like to understand if there is a way to make my position legal and to be elegible in the future for longer VISA's (I'm 38, so I'm out of a retirement visa and I don't earn enough to apply for a SMART visa)

Many thanks to anyone will help me to sort out this mess...

Alex

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sfokevin said:

Check out the Elite Thai Visa program... 500K baht for a five year visa...

But don't pop the $15,000(+) until you decide you want to live in Thailand long term.  elviajero's advice is sound for an exploratory stay, though some of us would be uncomfortable no matter how low the risk is of getting caught out.

I'd also point out that recent changes in the law eliminate any possibility of jail time for getting caught working without a WP.  And unless he's got some vested interest in living in Thailand, the minuscule odds of getting tossed out of the country are better than not giving it a try at all.

While the OP's exploring, he should hook up with other digital nomads to get their advice.  Maybe they'll even steer him on a path to get legal by "working" for a company that exists solely (or mostly) to provide WP's to digital nomads.  Nuff said.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

You can enter on a tourist visa (apply in Italy) which gives you 60 days, and you can extend that whilst in Thailand for an additional 30 days. 

I'm not sure how easy it is to leave Thailand for a few days and then return on another tourist visa? I don't believe that is as easy to do now, although I did a few years ago ... perhaps someone in the know could comment?

Alternatively, do a 6 month ED Visa, which means attending Thai language lessons ... which might interfere with your work and reduces the possibility to move around. 

3 hours ago, sfokevin said:

Check out the Elite Thai Visa program... 500K baht for a five year visa...

He is only coming for 6 months, rather wasteful don't you think?

2 hours ago, pr9spk said:

Worst answer of the year.

you didn't come up with a better solution

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

it was a 2 part question in the op, a temp 6 months solution and the 2nd part being a long term solution

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, steve187 said:

it was a 2 part question in the op, a temp 6 months solution and the 2nd part being a long term solution

Yes, excuse me.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Did you read his post?...

My goal is to be able to move permanently in the future

Even those "caught red handed" working online have not been prosecuted.  But, unlike those people, I would not recommend working in a public co-working space and bragging about it on FB.

• Thanks 1

Do as the rest of them , enter with a tourist visa and extend for another 3 months. 

If you want to live here permanently and pay taxes in Thailand  it will cost you a lot of money , I would not recommend that. 

OP you have good answers already. Your looking for 6 months. Very easy many options. Forget about work permit etc. Keep your online work private (very easy). Enter los on perhaps setv. Extend 30 day. Leave country for short trip to say Saigon and obtain setv. Repeat process. Remember you also have visa exempt 30 days which can be extended by 30. Your situation is simple. Forget work permit idea