Sending money OUT

I have a fairly basic (standard?) Bangkok Bank, savings account with passbook and debit card. I want to send money to UK from Thailand. So far I have not been able to register for any sort of on-line access to this account, online. Maybe I can if I go to the bank but even then I read on the Bangkok Bank website that sending money out through their on-line system could only be done with a work permit. I don't have a work permit.

What options do I have for sending money from Thailand to a UK bank account?

Thanks

Bob

If it's a large amount i think the only real option is going into the branch.

If you're not in Thailand i guess the only option is ATM card.

To set up online banking for sending money out of the country i did not know you needed to have a work permit......interesting.

Depending on how much you want to send back you may find it easier to use the ATM as suggested first. Mine will allow just under £500 (at current exchange rates) and charge 100 baht for the priviledge on a daily basis

Depends really how much you want to send back

Edited to add I can raise that to 50,000 Baht a day withdrawal via the app if I wanted to

The following was cut and pasted from Bangkok Bank's Bualung iBanking web page regarding International Transfers. Note that one of the stated required documents for foreigners is a work permit, but I do not know if this can be waived if you do not work. I have asked at my Bangkok Bank branch about making a withdrawal in the form of a check rather than in cash, and they told me this could be done (although please note that I have not actually done this myself.) 

"How To Apply for International Funds Transfer Service

In a few easy steps and enjoy the lower fee!

No need to go to the bank branch, Click here to apply online for the International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking*

*Remark: To apply online, you will need SMS OTP to complete the application.

You can also opt to apply for the International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking by following these steps:

1. Print out the Application for International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking.
         2. Complete the application form.
         3. Submit your application along with the required documents to any Bangkok Bank branch.

Documents Required

Foreigners

• - Passport
  • - A document indicates that the foreigner works in Thailand, e.g., work permit, employee card, a certificate of income issued by an employer.
  • - Passbook or cheque book or cheque request form of the deposit account used for Bualuang iBanking Service

Thai Nationals

• - Citizen ID card or government ID card or state enterprise ID card or driver license stating citizen ID.
  • - A copy of house registration (in case of such identification card does not contain a identification number)
  • - Passbook or cheque book or cheque request form of the deposit account used for Bualuang iBanking Service

Remark: you will need to sign the application form as well as the form titled Terms and Conditions governing the International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking, which will be provided to you at branch, in front of a bank officer (the signature in the Application for International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking and the deposit account used for Bualuang iBanking Service need to be the same)."

23 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

The following was cut and pasted from Bangkok Bank's Bualung iBanking web page regarding International Transfers. Note that one of the stated required documents for foreigners is a work permit, but I do not know if this can be waived if you do not work. I have asked at my Bangkok Bank branch about making a withdrawal in the form of a check rather than in cash, and they told me this could be done (although please note that I have not actually done this myself.) 

"How To Apply for International Funds Transfer Service

In a few easy steps and enjoy the lower fee!

No need to go to the bank branch, Click here to apply online for the International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking*

*Remark: To apply online, you will need SMS OTP to complete the application.

You can also opt to apply for the International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking by following these steps:

1. Print out the Application for International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking.
         2. Complete the application form.
         3. Submit your application along with the required documents to any Bangkok Bank branch.

Documents Required

Foreigners

• - Passport
  • - A document indicates that the foreigner works in Thailand, e.g., work permit, employee card, a certificate of income issued by an employer.

Thai Nationals

• - Citizen ID card or government ID card or state enterprise ID card or driver license stating citizen ID.
  • - A copy of house registration (in case of such identification card does not contain a identification number)

Remark: you will need to sign the application form as well as the form titled Terms and Conditions governing the International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking, which will be provided to you at branch, in front of a bank officer (the signature in the Application for International Funds Transfer Service via Bualuang iBanking and the deposit account used for Bualuang iBanking Service need to be the same)."

If you have maintained a decent balance with them for a significant amount of years at the same branch i think quite a lot can be waived.

I've found that in my experience anyway...

1 hour ago, JaiLai said:

To set up online banking for sending money out of the country i did not know you needed to have a work permit......interesting.

I sold a condo...deposited the money in BKK Bank Then sent 1MB to my bank in Europe. Did not need "online banking". Just gave the bank my a/c No. along with sort code and swift no's, and they transferred it with no problems?

Thanks for the useful info guys.

I have resolved the immediate problem by going to a bank branch. Not all branches will do this but I was pointed to a branch very near to me that has this facility. The process was painless, indeed enjoyable and even paying the fee was pleasantly tempered by the very attractive staff who couldn't do enough to help. So for the sake of a 5 minute drive to the branch I'll call that sorted, at least for now. If I'm out of Thailand hopefully I know I can use my ATM card so that's not an issue

If you are in Bangkok, walk into a branch of DeeMoney - one of which is at Nana, corner of Sukhumvit Soi 8.  One time registration involved, (Passport, the first time).  In addition to cash transactions at the branch, they have an app as well, which can be linked to your bank account.  Fees are THB 150 per transaction and the outgoing F/x rates are better I think.  Moreover no charges imposed by the receiving bank.

If you want to ask them questions before you go in, add them on Line.  Believe they advertise in this forum as well.

I found them partly because of the onerous paperwork requirements from Bangkok Bank.  I could have complied, but to give them everything they needed would have taken me months.  Hope this helps.

18 hours ago, Chivas said:

Depending on how much you want to send back you may find it easier to use the ATM as suggested first. Mine will allow just under £500 (at current exchange rates) and charge 100 baht for the priviledge on a daily basis

Depends really how much you want to send back

Edited to add I can raise that to 50,000 Baht a day withdrawal via the app if I wanted to 

I presume you mean using a thai bank ATM card in a foreign country say the UK. So you can withdraw funds in Sterling at a UK ATM machine drawn on your thai bank. If you can withdraw 50,000 baht a day you could soon transfer a large sum into the UK with no issues.

18 hours ago, dotpoom said:

I sold a condo...deposited the money in BKK Bank Then sent 1MB to my bank in Europe. Did not need "online banking". Just gave the bank my a/c No. along with sort code and swift no's, and they transferred it with no problems?

Did the BKK bank send

Thai Baht

or

Euro 

to your bank in Europe?

1 hour ago, charliebadenhop said:

Seems to me that if www.dee.money works well, everyone's problems are over, in regard to sending money. Seems like no documentation necessary in regard to work permit and proof of money having oome into Thailand at some previous time. 

Who here has some good experiences?! 

No proof of anything required.  Just send.  I have sent twice to my USA bank using their app....works like a charm.

The most economic way is to do a swap with a trusted countryman.  You give him an agreed amount of Baht, when he transfers an agreed amount of your currency (e. GBP, EUR, etc.).

No fees involved, and you can agree to using the Mid-rate. 

8 minutes ago, steve73 said:

The most economic way is to do a swap with a trusted countryman.  You give him an agreed amount of Baht, when he transfers an agreed amount of your currency (e. GBP, EUR, etc.).

No fees involved, and you can agree to using the Mid-rate. 

One problem with that method is with the many (thousands) of money transfers into and out of Thailand every day is finding thousands of trusted countrymen to participate whenever and for whatever amount you want.   

40 minutes ago, Pib said:

One problem with that method is with the many (thousands) of money transfers into and out of Thailand every day is finding thousands of trusted countrymen to participate whenever and for whatever amount you want.   

True.. there are many transfer in, but relatively very few transfers out.  So if anyone does need to transfer out, just ask amongst your mates...  Another problem now, is that many of the transfers "in" may need to show as foreign sourced.

I rarely transferred money out, now I wish to transfer some amount and I don't have work permit. Seems that there are more restrictions actually. I supposed to be entitled to send back money that was previously sent in Thailand but the bank put many problems.

They want documents about the story of the money from the first day till now, copies of contracts and cashier checks for example, something not easy to find now.

If bought condos in company name or simply left the money is saving and fixed account they say is a problem.

Now I think is better to not have money in thai bank and I'll move all asap. If wish to buy again something I'll send the money in just in time and send out same day of resale.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to my local BKK bank branch and asked about this last Friday. They told me you can come into the branch with no advance notice, fill out a request for an international transfer of funds to your foreign account, they'll calculate the exchange rate to the desired currency, and the transfer will be processed immediately. I got the impression that the speed was similar to a wire transfer, and the commission was ballparked at around 1400 baht.

Archived