BANGKOK 23 July 2019 17:59
TravelerEastWest

Best Brand for 2,000 liter water tank?

Best Brand for 2,000 liter water tank?

So far I have used Sandstone and DOS.

DOS is fine except the top hatch is too small so not convenient for cleaning water sediment.

So I am thinking about buying 6 new tanks this week and "Wave" is a new option that I heard about - see photo.

I am not very concerned about the price and don't like the look of steel tanks.

So I am looking for 2,000 liters

Sand Color

Large hatch up top for cleaning

Good quality materials

Any thoughts?

Wave water tank.jpg

Seems you are already half way there with your spec.

Maybe if your tanks are sited outside you just need to consider the UV standatd of the plastic.

My tank supplier i recall only made one comment on what to choose and that was that the cheaper(lets say blue tanks) have a thinner guage wall and will not last as long in direct sunlight...uv breakdown etc.

If your tanks are under cover it dont see that bit matters.

DOS, Safe Tank, Diamond are three brands worth your time and consideration. Each of those three have different styles of tanks. Your hatch situation is not unique and worth checking each company.  Each of those three brands offers different series of plastic water tanks. The price will reflect the quality of the materials.

• Like 1

We have a 4000 and 2000 L UV protected DOS brand tank both good quality and standing up to the test of time out in the sun.

I am soon to purchase a 1000 L RO tank which might be a Wave brand because I like their low level inlet design.

The most expensive one I guess.

I believe that the black plastic ones are more UV resistant than the green ones...

Thanks all

No blue or black plastic or steel as they are ugly.

So far I have narrowed it down to Wave as in the above photo and Diamond brand sandstone color 2,000 liter.

Still waiting to get the Wave hatch size I need 53 cm plus

DOS is much smaller so not a choice.

I am now making a concrete pad and roof will have that finished in a week or so and it seems around 3 days top order.

My choice would be stainless steel, they come with a base that makes it easy to clean by draining through the bottom 🤔

Don't like the colour, spray it whatever colour you like, mines matt black 🙂 

2 hours ago, CGW said:

My choice would be stainless steel, they come with a base that makes it easy to clean by draining through the bottom 🤔

Don't like the colour, spray it whatever colour you like, mines matt black 🙂 

SS is mostly not advisable when your water is coming from a well.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arjen said:

SS is mostly not advisable when your water is coming from a well.

Why would that be, I have used SS for the past 17 years with no problems?

1 minute ago, CGW said:

Why would that be, I have used SS for the past 17 years with no problems?

I write MOSTLY, on all SS tanks is a warning. Well water can contain high amounts of iron, your SS tank is gone in a few weeks when that is the case. You are lucky your well gives iron free water.

^Correct me if I am wrong but as SS is basically Iron with added chromium, its not the iron that causes the damage but the hydrogen sulphide that can be present, if your water is high in H2S you pretty well screwed anyway 🙂 

Hmmm, yes, I am sorry, I want to correct you....

When there is Iron in water, the chrome wants to reach an equal level of % in the iron and in the metal from your tank (mostly 18% Cr, 8% Ni, a lot of other metals in very low amounts, and, you are correct, mostly Fe.) Rust protection stops when the % of Cr is below 12%. You can test this easy, throw a normal steel nail in a SS pot. Ad some water and see what happens. Your SS pot will start to rust on that spot in a few days.

The rust protection from SS is based on the fact that Cr oxidises very fast. The layer Cr oxide is not penetratable by oxygen. So the process stops.

That is anyway how I remember it when I learned it, many, many years back....

• Like 2

^ OK, thanks I understand the point you are making, the low grade SS tanks here would be extremely susceptible.

Turns out Wave and DOS at 2,000 liter size have small hatches so I will go with the sandstone that I have used before - steel is ugly - not being considered. Spraying is a messy solution and still won't look right.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts...