Sodium content of soda water

HauptmannUK

I don't think that there's a sodium issue with soda water but the CO2 reacts with the water to give a pH of around 3 - 4 which is acidic and can maybe cause problems with the enamel on yer teeth...a dentist told me once a long time ago that I might wanna ease up on acidic stuff like fresh oranges and orange juice as the enamel on my teeth wasn't very substantial...now in my late 60s these days my teeth are fairly disintegrating...

I drink a lot of vodka and use soda and a splash of lime juice as mixers...ease up on the soda and add more vodka and then trade off with the damage to yer liver...

• Haha 2

Nothing readily available on the net for local brands and nothing of use on the bottles.

Looking big name, Schweppes soda water contains carbonated water and sodium bicarbonate. From here https://www.coca-cola.ie/drinks/schweppes-mixers/schweppes-soda-water nothing about just how much sodium bicarbonate (I'm assuming it's being used as an acidity regulator).

One has to assume the local stuff is similar (I can't imagine them adding extra ingredients, they cost money).

EDIT And we have this thread from April 2018 

Here’s a good source of what’s in packaged food: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/search/list?maxsteps=6&format=&count=&max=25&sort=default&fgcd=&manu=&lfacet=&qlookup=Club+soda&ds=&qt=&qp=&qa=&qn=&q=&ing=&offset=0&order=asc

A quick look shows that Sodium (NA) is identified as an ingredient in some but not all Club Sodas. Sometimes the specific NA mg count is shown but not in all cases.

These databases are focused on us foods only (USDA).

• 8 months later...
  • 9 months later...
On 2/5/2019 at 3:36 PM, Crossy said:

Nothing readily available on the net for local brands and nothing of use on the bottles.

Looking big name, Schweppes soda water contains carbonated water and sodium bicarbonate. From here https://www.coca-cola.ie/drinks/schweppes-mixers/schweppes-soda-water nothing about just how much sodium bicarbonate (I'm assuming it's being used as an acidity regulator).

One has to assume the local stuff is similar (I can't imagine them adding extra ingredients, they cost money).

EDIT And we have this thread from April 2018 

Yes but why is it closed ? it's so annoying sometimes to find closed threads for no reason ! At least it should be explained ! Thank you.

1 hour ago, scoupeo said:

Yes but why is it closed ? it's so annoying sometimes to find closed threads for no reason ! At least it should be explained ! Thank you.

On my phone screen, this explanation is  hown above the topic title:

Screenshot_20200804-193304.png.d6d3d3744f77e9dd4bac858210405174.png

It seems that when there has been no new reply in a topic for a certain period of time the topic is closed, probably automatically.

Edited by Puccini
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Puccini said:

It seems that when there has been no new reply in a topic for a certain period of time the topic is closed, probably automatically.

Forum software has this option because most replies made on old forum posts are spam. 

I assume that also in Thailand, the drinking water contains several naturally occurring minerals, including sodium (Na), in varying concentrations.

Not for drinking water in general but for bottled water labelled as mineral water, I have found this Notification of the Ministry of Public Health dated 19 September 2000. If this notification is still valid, the main mineral content should be declared on the label (see highlighted text on page 3 of this PDF document):

Thailand mineral water.pdf

I do not know whether there is any regulatory requirement for soda water in Thailand, eg if and how much sodium must be added to qualify for that name on the label.

Edited by Puccini

On 10/23/2019 at 4:15 AM, Selwyn said:

Singha soda water 0.2g of salt per 100 g

That is sodium chloride (NaCl), presumably added to the water by the manufacturer/bottler of the Singha soda water.

I should think that Singha got the water they use analysed and has a record of its concentration of sodium (Na) and other main minerals on file. Somebody could try and inquire by email.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2020 at 2:57 AM, Puccini said:

That is sodium chloride (NaCl), presumably added to the water by the manufacturer/bottler of the Singha soda water.

I should think that Singha got the water they use analysed and has a record of its concentration of sodium (Na) and other main minerals on file. Somebody could try and inquire by email.

Here is a further independent assessment you may find of interest which aligns with figures provided by Selwyn

Salt. 0.2g

Sodium 0.08g

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/product/8850999220000/soda-water-singha

product submitted 2016 edited 2020

Edited by Outbackoz
further info