Jump to content
BANGKOK
webfact

Tourists in Chiang Mai: We'd rather use Grab or Uber than rip off Red Buses

Recommended Posts

22 hours ago, Saladin said:

Songtaews (Red buses) get an undeserved bad press in Chiang Mai. At just 30B they do provide a cheap convenient service. Often, they must travel from one side of the city to the other for 30B or maybe not pick up a fare at all. I usually use GRAB because it's door to door service, air conditioned and comfortable and reasonably priced, although a couple of nights ago I was quoted 325B from Nimmanhaemin to Chiang Mai Gate, which I declined in favor of 40B on a songteow. The real rip-off merchants are the tuk-tuks who demand a minimum of 100B for even a 2 minute ride.

IDK what app you use but Nimmanhaemin to Chiang Mai gate is nowhere near 325B ever. I never even paid more than 200B for that from Sansai. And cheap songtaews? Never found one near the city. Also they easily do 4 loads of a dozen people * 30THB = 1,440B per day in peak hours alone.

Most just pretend to be sad and poor but are nowhere near it and if they are because of poor decision making.
I rather think they are spoiled instead as they earned even more before ripping off boat loads of tourists.

Should simply restrict the amount of them outside of peak hours and at least force them to install an exhaust filter.

Edited by tabarin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 4:56 PM, Vacuum said:

They are two-strokes and use lpg (or something like that). They can't produce black smoke from their exhaust.

They may not produce "black smoke" but the emissions are significantly higher than would be the case with 4 stroke engines where petroleum oil is not injected directly into the fuel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ahhh??? <deleted> is 2019 and it's news that people don't like riding in the back of pick-up truck..  more information for the low IQ. what a joke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

as for me english speaker .. i like grab . i can see the cost and dont have to speak thai ..       

now when i am with thai wife she can negotiate price and location  easily

 

red taxi have limitations . they travel a select area  for the most customers . around the moat 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 2/5/2019 at 3:19 PM, Saladin said:

Songtaews (Red buses) get an undeserved bad press in Chiang Mai. At just 30B they do provide a cheap convenient service. Often, they must travel from one side of the city to the other for 30B or maybe not pick up a fare at all. I usually use GRAB because it's door to door service, air conditioned and comfortable and reasonably priced, although a couple of nights ago I was quoted 325B from Nimmanhaemin to Chiang Mai Gate, which I declined in favor of 40B on a songteow. The real rip-off merchants are the tuk-tuks who demand a minimum of 100B for even a 2 minute ride.

It isn't cheap when you consider all the costs, such as treating respiratory disease in hospital. Lung cancer, emphysema and premature death is a high price to pay for a 30 baht ride. Who wants to visit a city when it's recording the highest PM 2.5 pollution levels in the world. There is a high price to pay when tourists avoid the city. Businesses suffer; millions of baht lost.

But on the bright side, electric Tuk-Tuks (Grab) are being introduced in Chiang Mai. If they introduce Songtaews with cleaner-burning fuel, I would gladly pay a bit more to breath clean air. I might even consider going up to Chiang Mai and stay awhile---spend some money. (when they're not burning the mountains and fields)

Edited by Uptooyoo
clarification

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't use those silly low roof songtaews. One cannot see out to know where one is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/5/2019 at 3:19 PM, Saladin said:

At just 30B they do provide a cheap convenient service.

Even the 30bht sign is cheating foreigners.

In Thai the sign reads up to 30bht, which is the maximum fare they are allowed to charge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The basic bahtbus fare in Pattaya is 10B, and that gets you all the way from central Pattaya to southern Jomtien which is around 10km. To go all the way from Naklua to Jomtien is just 20B. The white bahtbuses on Sukumvit go even further for the same price.

 

The red buses in CM that charge 30B for the basic fare are clearly a rip-off, pure and simple.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Even the 30bht sign is cheating foreigners.

In Thai the sign reads up to 30bht, which is the maximum fare they are allowed to charge.

Correct.  Too many people simply see (and can only read) the number 30 on the side of the songteaws.  Occasionally, when asking a driver if he/she is going to a particular location, the driver will either say 30 baht or raise 3 fingers meaning 30 baht and, when that happens, I have the right to say okay or not (typically, the extra ten baht doesn't stop me from taking the ride); however, unless that happens, the fare remains at 20 baht and that's all I pay (and not once have I had a scowl or problem with any songteaw driver over that).

 

But people who either (1) ask how much or (2) show up at the passenger (or driver's window) with a paper or phone map are going to see a slight smile on the driver's face as the fare is about to go up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, CMBob said:

Correct.  Too many people simply see (and can only read) the number 30 on the side of the songteaws.  Occasionally, when asking a driver if he/she is going to a particular location, the driver will either say 30 baht or raise 3 fingers meaning 30 baht and, when that happens, I have the right to say okay or not (typically, the extra ten baht doesn't stop me from taking the ride); however, unless that happens, the fare remains at 20 baht and that's all I pay (and not once have I had a scowl or problem with any songteaw driver over that).

 

But people who either (1) ask how much or (2) show up at the passenger (or driver's window) with a paper or phone map are going to see a slight smile on the driver's face as the fare is about to go up.  

 

How does the pricing work then?

 

If the driver says nothing when you ask for the destination, you give 20 BHT and the drivers never have a problem with this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

20 baht?  30 baht?  Are you really so miserly that 10 baht is going to cause you all this drama?  Principle of thing? Even more foolish to get upset about! You'll wind up spending that 10 baht on another day's worth of stress medicine.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They have a long history of being weasels. One of numerous reasons i stopped staying in Chiang Mai nearly two decades ago i thought it was bad. Had one problem after another besides i did not move to Thailand to live in mini-Europe . My rule is always have small change. Hand them the fare and walk away.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

20 baht?  30 baht?  Are you really so miserly that 10 baht is going to cause you all this drama?  Principle of thing? Even more foolish to get upset about! You'll wind up spending that 10 baht on another day's worth of stress medicine.

Because if you don,t do anything they continue harming others. I guess that is ok with you?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2019 at 10:56 PM, Vacuum said:

They are two-strokes and use lpg (or something like that). They can't produce black smoke from their exhaust.

You are half correct that some Tuks are 2 stroke engines

 

You are wrong that it runs LPG

 

It runs gasoline/gasohol  but with 2 stroke oil either mixed into the tank or injected thru the intake port

 

That in turn produces black exhaust of the engine is running rich

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...