BANGKOK 26 June 2019 00:33
webfact

Tourists in Chiang Mai: We'd rather use Grab or Uber than rip off Red Buses

30 minutes ago, mania said:

You are half correct that some Tuks are 2 stroke engines

You are wrong that it runs LPG

It runs gasoline/gasohol  but with 2 stroke oil either mixed into the tank or injected thru the intake port

That in turn produces black exhaust of the engine is running rich

Mmmm, most of the tuk tuks are in fact two strokes, and they do run on LPG. The two stroke oil injected to the engine, doesn't produce black smoke, more like gray/blue (ish).

In later years they have introduced the new 4 stroke tuk tuks (the red ones), which run on gasohol.

3 minutes ago, Vacuum said:

In later years they have introduced the new 4 stroke tuk tuks (the red ones), which run on gasohol.

The LPG two-strokes will be more environmentally friendly as LPG is better than gasoline/petrol 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Vacuum said:

Mmmm, most of the tuk tuks are in fact two strokes, and they do run on LPG. The two stroke oil injected to the engine, doesn't produce black smoke, more like gray/blue (ish).

Really? I did not know 2 strokes could run on LP

The two strokes I have been behind were definitely burning 2 stroke oil as I raced MX all thru my younger years & know the scent well 🙂

Yes I know about the lager/newer 4 stroke Tuks

Edited by mania

6 minutes ago, mania said:

Really? I did not know 2 strokes could run on LP

They do run on LPG. You can see the LPG tank under the rear seat.

On 2/5/2019 at 11:58 AM, scorecard said:

a very large percentage of local thai folks and resident foreigners would love to see big changes and a much better organized / much more modern and economical public transport system, free of rip offs.

I've never heard from locals or "resident foreigners" that they got riped off by rot daeng drivers.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Mitkof Island said:

Because if you don,t do anything they continue harming others. I guess that is ok with you?

Precisely what are YOU going to do to change the system?  Besides complaining here, of course.

Frankly, I don't see 10 baht harming anyone. And if 10 baht IS a problem for you, perhaps you need to re-evaluate your finances for living in a foreign country.

Edited by FolkGuitar

RTC Blue Bus and Grab is my main method of transport if not using motorbike.  

Never used a tuk tuk and red truck about a dozen times in several years.  Both are an environmental and traffic disaster.  

Just like a lot businesses and mentality here, ripping people off while providing poor service and then whinging when smart people chose a much better option.  

yeah speaking as someone who has been on a lot of songthaews in chiangmai and mercifully a few tuk tuks .... the problem as someone said isnt with the songthaews .. sometimes they wont go where you want thats for sure, but generally its a cheap way to get around. The tuk tuk drivers like the majority of them sadly everywhere are  a different kettle of fish. I was in bangkok in 2017. i met this american couple who had been given a tuk tuk driver by a police offier .. apparently he was only by law able to charge 50 baht per hour according to him. The tourists gave him 1000 a day anyway ,, but in chiangmai ... the only fee they understand is "150 baht" for any distance and dont get on one near the tha pae gate or it will be worse

On 6/12/2019 at 11:25 PM, jaffas21 said:

dont get on one near the tha pae gate

...or the ones waiting outside Central and the like. They're tourist traps, and this also goes for the songthaews.