Imm Officer Asked To Keep Money & Show Bank Book To Get 1-Year Marriage Extension 1 Month After Application!

The part about needing to show the 400K again upon your 30 day return to get your final marriage extension of stay stamp is another new, UNANNOUNCED rule being enforced lately by CW Immigration in BKK.

There have been multiple posts here about it in recent weeks. Better get used to it, at least at CW BKK.

Just to be clear, that new requirement for marriage extensions at BKK CW is entirely separate and different from the new national rules relating to retirement extensions and needing to keep those bank deposit funds at certain levels, including a minimum 400K yearround.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Will2011 said:

Yes, it was. I should have read the forum before, but it's just plain stupid that there is no official requirement about that.

Basically, I can't do whatever I want with my money.

Presumably, you either had more funds available or an income to get through the 2 month seasoning period prior to application, so you've never been able to do what you want with those funds 24/7/365 days of the year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Does this new requirement also mean a second letter confirming the account when we return for the stamp, or just the updated bank book?

According to the OP his IO requested an updated passbook showing the 400K when he returns for the stamp.

I'll add and repeat though, there is no new order affecting marriage extension applications.

The existing rule of 400K for 2 months prior to an extension application should still apply.

Immigration are confused.

Edited by Tanoshi
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Tanoshi said:

According to the OP his IO requested an updated passbook showing the 400K when he returns for the stamp.

I'll add and repeat though, their is no new order affecting marriage extension applications.

The existing rule of 440K for 2 months prior to an extension application should still apply.

Immigration are confused.

I think you mean 400K, but I already placed 500K in there, will grow it slowly to about 1 Million baht over time, as I expect them to increase this amount. I know the IO might be confused, but they make the rules, not us, even if they aren't consistent. I think I will just pay for another letter too, not have to deal with any hassles that way. Better to get ahead of them, not try to catch up to them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Was that at Chaeng Wattana immigration?

There have already been reports of them wanting to see the 400k baht in the bank during the under consideration period and to show your bank book when you go back for the extension stamp.

I think it is for the same reason that the rules for retirement were changed (stop the agent extensions).

I had to do this last year when renewing my Non-O visa at Lampang immigration.  We had to show the updated bank info when we went in to get the final stamp.  I expect the same thing this year.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

And also be prepared for them to tell you your extension "is not ready" and get another "under consideration" time, and told to leave the money untouched for yet another 30 days - as this has been reported by others at that office.  We don't know how often this may happen, yet.

I don't think so.  The rules are clear, and they are making up a new one, without even publishing it or giving any warning-period.  This is money many depend on to "live" and support their families. 

I see this as clear-cut targeted harassment, having nothing to do with whether your marriage is legit and/or you support your Thai wife/family.  In fact, for many, it will actively prevent their ongoing support.

So there might as well not be any "rules" at all - just whatever the IO decides / feels like that day.

"the rules are clear"

Until next month.

Not for me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

The rules are clear

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual
income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a
bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

If you can direct me to any amendment or new rule that changes the above, please post.

25 minutes ago, JackThompson said:

This is money many depend on to "live" and support their families. 

It's always been a minimum of 400K. 

You've always had to cover the seasoning period with another form of income/funds.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, JackThompson said:

So there might as well not be any "rules" at all - just whatever the IO decides / feels like that day.

Thats pretty much how I expect things to run here, its annoying, but its not like we have any other choice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

It has always been my understanding that your money cannot drop below 400k whilst you under consideration. I've been doing it for about 10 years now. I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea of letting my account drop below 400k until I've got my stamp.  

A few years ago I knew someone who rather naively withdrew money from his bank account during his under consideration period and he received a phone call to report to his local office before the date he was given for his stamp. Immigration had actually contacted his bank to check the current balance. I've always been led to believe that immigration does have authority to do this. His extension application was rather obviously refused.

But at the end of the day, they have just informed you to bring along your book on the day you get your stamp. No big deal really.

And with all due respect, if you were on the ball you'd be taking your bank book with you anyway irrespective of whether you think you need it all not. For me the golden rule for any dealings with immigration....Be prepared and take everything with you. If you don't need it then so be it, but don't be caught out! 

It is a big deal, as I have no problem complying with the law. The issue here is current laws don't show such requirements for non-o marriage applicants. If there were, I would not even have posted this report.

The other issue has to do with privacy and freedom. I should be able to do whatever I want with my money, whether it is transferring it to another account, having it in cash or spend it all in one day, considering I had it for more than two months prior the application.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Thats pretty much how I expect things to run here, its annoying, but its not like we have any other choice.

Yes, we do have a choice. I am considering applying for a non-o visa at a thai consulate next year. There is more privacy and people working there are not immigration cops.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tanoshi said:

(6) In the case of marriage to a Thai woman, the alien husband must earn an average annual income of no less than Baht 40,000 per month or must have no less than Baht 400,000 in a bank account in Thailand for the past two months to cover expenses for one year.

If you can direct me to any amendment or new rule that changes the above, please post.

It's always been a minimum of 400K. 

You've always had to cover the seasoning period with another form of income/funds.

Yes - but not the "extra seasoning" some offices are adding after you apply.  By forcing one to "not touch" the money after applying, during the "under consideration" period, the seasoning period has been increased to a minimum 3 months (not 2, as the rules state), plus another month after that, if they are "still considering" at the end of the first 30-days (as has been reported).

So, assuming the 400K was to live on at 40K/mo, you really needed 480K, since you could not touch the money for 2 months.  Now that figure is between 520K and 560K - depending on how long the "under consideration" period runs (unpredictable).  

Edited by JackThompson

They absolutely want to see the updated book. Happened to me. It was cool, I've just written off the money as a pile of dosh doing nothing but was shocked. The girl was real sweet and I had to calm my tits because it was nothing to update.

We also got hassled a bit on our paperwork for the flat. I won't go into it but what I've done every year is get a letter from the owner of the building.

Blah blah blah been here 789 years. When she saw that she calmed down. But it was ridiculous because they'd not so much glanced at it after the first year. I almost didn't bring it. BUT it was of Courtney important enough to include in the app. Just something else, some other bs to make your life hell to have to return another day with another piece of paper to feed the machine.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JackThompson said:

Yes - but not the "extra seasoning" some offices are adding after you apply.  By forcing one to "not touch" the money after applying, during the "under consideration" period, the seasoning period has been increased to a minimum 3 months (not 2, as the rules state), plus another month after that, if they are "still considering" at the end of the first 30-days (as has been reported).

So, assuming the 400K was to live on at 40K/mo, you really needed 480K, since you could not touch the money for 2 months.  Now that figure is between 520K and 560K - depending on how long the "under consideration" period runs (unpredictable).  

There is no extra seasoning period, there is no change to the criteria requirement for marriage extensions.

If the IO's are confused and the applicants aren't confident enough to question it, well …… I certainly would!

41 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

More than once my wife who  always accompanies me on  extention  days has often been engaged in  conversation with the IO who is processing  my application during which the subject  of the  desire to  F..g  kill some people has  been admitted  by said  IO due to the  arrogant,belligerant, arguementative , superior attitude  of  an applicant.

Welcome to customer-service.  Anyone who has worked in a public-facing position has experienced this. 

Did the IO take account of the requirements changing from one year to the next with no announcement or warning?  Maybe he considered how that might irk those who did their best to prepare? 

That said - to anyone reading - don't lose your cool, because it will not help.

44 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

a patient and polite  demeanor.

Indeed.  If one has a sense of self-worth and expectation of dignity, maybe take Valium first, given what may be in store.  The wife may need two tablets.  The required dosage varies by office.

42 minutes ago, Dumbastheycome said:

It is  written  very clearly  on the application form that  any  approval  for  stay can be refused  for reason that need not be disclosed.

Yes, which opens the door wide-open for abuse, of course.  This seems to be "baked in" to whatever procedures they put in place.

• Like 2

All the replies here relate to the400,000 seasoning. I was under the impression that this should be for three months not two when renewing an extension based on marriage ( this would now become four months if waiting another month before extension is granted .) Also, what about those who plan to use the income method 40 k per month with a bank letter now the U.K. embassy will not provide one. Does anyone have any experience of this being meddled with now?