"7-Eleven gave 13,550 baht to lady boy on my stolen card", claims Bangkok retiree

webfact

"7-Eleven gave 13,550 baht to lady boy on my stolen card", claims Bangkok retiree

rcp.jpg

An American retiree living in Bangkok has told Thaivisa that a lady boy stole his wallet in Phuket. 

The man then used his wallet to get a 13,550 baht cash advance at 7-Eleven. 

Though the card was signed and the receipt issued was clearly in the name of Gregory M Field in English, incredibly the Thai lady boy was given the money after signing in Thai script. 

Mr Field, 62, said he was pick-pocketed by the lady boy on Patong Beach. He got away with 5,000 baht and the credit card that was then used to get money at 7-Eleven.

He blamed the 7-Eleven staff for being "ridiculously inattentive".

Though he expects to get his money back from his bank he seriously questioned the convenience store and their procedures - or lack of them. 

He suggested they would be none too happy at losing 13,550 baht to the bank AND the lady boy. 

Mr Field said he has common sense but suffers from an anxiety disorder that lends him to being forgetful and inattentive. This played a part in him losing his wallet. 

The police are involved and Mr Field, who lives in Makkasan in Bangkok, is in possession of a copy of the thief's Thai ID card. 

He provided Thaivisa with this - it is in the name of Kemiga Sookasem.

He also provided Thaivisa with the receipt for the cash at 7-Eleven.

He said he wants to get his 5,000 baht back adding that it is not an insignificant sum for a retiree. 

He has been living full time in Thailand for the last six years. 

*UPDATE

On Tuesday afternoon Mr Field expanded on his story with these statements:

"At approximately 3:30am 23 Jan, in Patong Phuket, on Soi Banzaan,  I had a lapse of attention and was pick-pocketed, from my shoulder bag, of about 5000 baht cash and a VISA credit card. I discovered the theft later in the day by checking unauthorized bank charges and collected evidence and ID information from the guest house and bar where this occurred. I reported the theft to the Patong police dept and supplied copies of my bank statements and the time of each transaction, a total of 5. Three were from local 7-11s, and two were merchants I did not know. During my interview the police showed me the past criminal record of the perpetrator including phone number. An officer tried to call her but no answer. Later that night I collected information from 2 of the 7-11s, but they would not let me see the camera footage of the fraudulent transactions. One employee recognized the person's ID and said she came there every night. I asked her to call me next time she came in. The employee called me that night and we almost caught her, but I was too far away and she escaped. I subsequently contacted the 7-11 corporate office but have not heard back. My bank has  reversed the charges, and when 7-11 sees how much it lost perhaps they will take this seriously, probably starting by firing and perhaps arresting employees who handed out cash advances under suspicious circumstances. I intent to more aggressively pursue 7-11 regarding this, but obviously am at a disadvantage due to language and other hurdles as a foreigner.  

He continued: 

"One of my concerns is whether the police ever intended to investigate this in spite of the person having been positively identified with corroborating evidence on video at every merchant where the card was used.  Another is to address why a 7-11 employee would hand 13000 baht over the counter as a cash advance in spite of it being an American card name but signed in Thai characters. I suspect 7-11 of complicity".

It has been further pointed out that the Thai signature does not appear to tally with the lady boy's ID card name. 

Mr Field sent the following email to his bank:

Because of unfamiliarity with some of the merchant locations, added to the language barriers I only have these two physical receipts. However, if you are able to contact the merchants themselves they will gladly cooperate and provide videos of the perpetrator as well as all records and receipts. I have emailed the 7-11 district office about this and am awaiting a reply. Not a single one of these merchants asked for ID or checked signature, even though my name was clearly male and she was female (transgender). In one of these cases no signature at all was obtained nor ID checked, in the other you can see a “signature” in Thai letters on an obviously American name and account. This was in fact a cash payment made to the perpetrator, 13550 Thai Baht or 427.54 USD. That receipt is clearly marked as a sale of “relative goods” and not a cash advance, and it is likely that a 7-11 employee willfully participated in this fraud. The signature was a made up Thai name. The perpetrator has a police record with the Patong police in Phuket Thailand. It’s clear that none of the merchants attempted to verify ID or signature". 

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-05

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, webfact said:

The police are involved and Mr Field, who lives in Makkasan in Bangkok, is in possession of a copy of the thief's Thai ID card. 

How did Mr F get a copy of the LBs ID card?

A YES answer to vaccuum's question probably.

22 minutes ago, webfact said:

Though the card was signed and the receipt issued was clearly in the name of Gregory M Field in English, incredibly the Thai lady boy was given the money after signing in Thai script. 

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

17 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

Mickey Mouse paid for my last car service at Toyota.

The cards have got <deleted> chips on them. Why no PIN necessary.

Just now, bluesofa said:

not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

Fully agree from observation at customers in front.

Just yesterday (at TOPS), they put the slip on the clipboard, wait for signature.

Job done, not turning/comparing card.

(I don't do any card payment at shops)

Not only 7/11 never check signatures on cards, or even ask for signatures.

About 3 months ago my wife had my card, she was getting money out of an ATM for me.

She went into big C, got some shopping and paid for the shopping using my card.

Wife came home and said, you will never believe what happened in big C, what i asked, i used your card to pay for the shopping, girl never looked checked just said thank you.

The alternative recently at MAKRO.

Customer in front fiddling on his smartphone for a minute or so, then seemingly waiting another while for some barcode/QR code. Scanned by cashier and done (after 2 minutes).

Safe? Not for my health, I took deep breath waiting :annoyed:

May payment in cash, 15 seconds?

15 minutes ago, indepth said:

Please explain. If you cant, try smelling the roses for a change rather than looking for bad in everything.

Now for instance the guy claims to be pick pocketed but he has the ID card of the ladyboy (a copy). So I wonder how he got that. Maybe the guy had a relation with the ladyboy and that is how he got the copy of the ID. 

18 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How did Mr F get a copy of the LBs ID card?

A YES answer to vaccuum's question probably.

You’ve got to present ID to get a cash advance. It’s supposed to be so your ID is checked against the name on the card. 

Either the 7-11 cashier is unbelievably incompetent or he/she got a percentage. 

7 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I really don't care, if they were lovers or what the deal here is.

The story is about 7eleven - workers, who did not do their job!

I mean: they count 80 Baht of change 7 times but did not bat an eyelid, when a THAI- person signs a credit card- receipt for a card that OBVIOUSLY belongs to a person with at least a foreign name, with a signature in THAI?

Great job, you monkeys! 

They check the change because if they get it wrong it comes out of their wages, credit cards, not their problem as far as they're concerned, certainly not worth risking a confrontation over...  TIT

4 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Mickey Mouse paid for my last car service at Toyota.

The cards have got f*****g chips on them. Why no PIN necessary.

I have had some email correspondence with the Bank Of Thailand about this.

They control all the banks here, as well as making all Thai banks change cards to ones with the chip on them (and six-digit PINs) - 'for higher security' they said - Pah!.

I asked them directly why it was not compulsory for retailers to require the PIN to be entered.

BOT replied that it was 'up to the individual retailer' to select whether PIN or signature was required for transaction validation.

We all know that not requiring a PIN means that the transaction will be approved, rather than a higher security PIN requirement - as I said earlier - they will never, ever compare the signatures.

I told BOT it was a weak link in their system, as anyone finding/stealing a card can use it to make a purchase, If they needed the PIN, the card would be useless to a thief.

BOT 'thanked me for my suggestion and would pass it on to the department concerned'

You can't say I haven't tried...

15 minutes ago, DM07 said:

I really don't care, if they were lovers or what the deal here is.

The story is about 7eleven - workers, who did not do their job!

I mean: they count 80 Baht of change 7 times but did not bat an eyelid, when a THAI- person signs a credit card- receipt for a card that OBVIOUSLY belongs to a person with at least a foreign name, with a signature in THAI?

Great job, you monkeys! 

Pay peanuts, get monkeys 

38 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I have used my card in Tesco and simply put an 'X' in the signature space. It's not just seven-11. On the other hand, when I got my pink ID card, they were very thorough. Checked everything.

There does not seem to be a check for many things here.

Just now, bluesofa said:

I have had some email correspondence with the Bank Of Thailand about this.

They control all the banks here, as well as making all Thai banks change cards to ones with the chip on them (and six-digit PINs) - 'for higher security' they said - Pah!.

I asked them directly why it was not compulsory for retailers to require the PIN to be entered.

BOT replied that it was 'up to the individual retailer' to select whether PIN or signature was required for transaction validation.

We all know that not requiring a PIN means that the transaction will be approved, rather than a higher security PIN requirement - as I said earlier - they will never, ever compare the signatures.

I told BOT it was a weak link in their system, as anyone finding/stealing a card can use it to make a purchase, If they needed the PIN, the card would be useless to a thief.

BOT 'thanked me for my suggestion and would pass it on to the department concerned'

You can't say I haven't tried...

The major credit card issuers generally look upon anything that increases security as something that makes it more difficult for card holders to use their cards.  To them it's all about convenience of use leading to higher usage and greater commission.  Balanced against this they have taken into account how easy it may be for people to commit fraud and whether they have to pay back the card holder or swallow the loss.

On balance they don't give a monkey's about the people who suffer the losses or whether they have to pay back or not; they've done the calculations.

22 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Not only 7/11 never check signatures on cards, or even ask for signatures.

About 3 months ago my wife had my card, she was getting money out of an ATM for me.

She went into big C, got some shopping and paid for the shopping using my card.

Wife came home and said, you will never believe what happened in big C, what i asked, i used your card to pay for the shopping, girl never looked checked just said thank you.

It seems there's also a 'floor limit' as to when they don't even require a signature.

I don't know what it is, - perhaps a couple of thousand Baht, or it may vary per retailer, I don't know.

Just now, bluesofa said:

It seems there's also a 'floor limit' as to when they don't even require a signature.

I don't know what it is, - perhaps a couple of thousand Baht, or it may vary per retailer, I don't know.

Retailers hold the power as they can threaten to not allow usage of certain cards in their outlets.  Retailers then get compensated for their losses from the fraud, which they did very little to prevent and they do generally have contractual limits.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

this fella's wallet is now sitting at the 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' limit.

Can't get much lower, than the floor!

At Big-C you do not have to sign, scan or pin-number anything on a Visa or Mastercard Credit Card if the bill is below Baht 1,500.    For one of them the limit is shown at check-out as 700 but no notice is taken of that.

A bit like the no plastic bags on the 4th policy to which the major supermarket signed-up in December.   That didn't last through to the next month at Big-C in Buriram.   Though, apparently, Big-C Korat will not give you of these sickly, green bags on any day of the month.   But then TIT.

Archived