"7-Eleven gave 13,550 baht to lady boy on my stolen card", claims Bangkok retiree

webfact

On 2/11/2019 at 1:04 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

I got my money back right away. I have notified the almighty VISA corporation that there is likely widespread fraud on the part of 7-11, and they certainly have the financial clout to put the legal sqeeze on them. There are more than 8000 7-11s in Thailand, that's an awful lot of larceny

to get to the bottom of this, we still need to know

how on earth a ladyboy got hold on your visa card ?

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 2/5/2019 at 1:29 PM, KhunBENQ said:

The alternative recently at MAKRO.

Customer in front fiddling on his smartphone for a minute or so, then seemingly waiting another while for some barcode/QR code. Scanned by cashier and done (after 2 minutes).

Safe? Not for my health, I took deep breath waiting :annoyed:

May payment in cash, 15 seconds?

I think you misunderstood what happened at Macro.

You cannot pay with a credit/debit card at Macro. Cash only.

When you see the cashier scanned a barcode, that is not for a credit card. It is his Macro card he has on his phone. I use it too

I bought something at Hermes in Siam Paragon for 43k THB. Clerk took my card, inserted it in the card reader, tore off the approval slip and asked me to sign it.

Took the card from me... didn't even look at it. No passport or ID request. Did however ask if I wanted tax refund.

Inserted it in the card reader and keyed in amount, then green button... then started wrapping what I purchased. 

Took the card from the POS device and told me to sign the slip which I did. She took it back and handed the card and customer copy of slip back to me. Khab khun kha. Not once looked at the front and back of card from start to end of payment process.

43k baht.

• 1 month later...
On 2/5/2019 at 2:05 PM, Thaiwrath said:

This story has more holes than

image.png.7f79288d82edda40f9a84c1c05a71f2f.png

This is what happens when you don't pay your ladyboy the next morning lol

One question is like to know is how he managed to gain possession of the ladyboys Thai id card

Did he pickpocket her while she was pickpocketing him?

On 2/5/2019 at 2:25 PM, wgdanson said:

Mickey Mouse paid for my last car service at Toyota.

The cards have got <deleted> chips on them. Why no PIN necessary.

I regularly sign for my groceries in the name of Mike Tyson , Tiger Woods or whoever comes to mind at the time

It's never been queried yet even though real name is printed on the front of the card

On 2/5/2019 at 3:38 PM, colinneil said:

Not in our local big C, not with my card, i use it every week, never gets checked.

They don't check  in mine either

I have a 20 year old nanny from Burma and when I'm feeling lazy I give her my credit card to go  and buy household stuff while I'm at work or sitting outside in the car

Never once has she been refused, been doing this for years

It's been decades since any retail business in the US checks signatures.

That is obsolete in the US.

Some business ask to see one's ID to make sure it is the same name as the name on the card, but that is all.

I never sign the back of credit cards or any type of bank card in the US.

Once I lost a credit card.

Someone got a hold of it and made some charges.

I reported this to the cc company.

They were suspicious of me asking for a refund, because they compared the signature of those transactions with my signature for legit purchases and the scammer had taken the time to try to match my signature which I had signed on the back of the card.

That was the last time I signed a card.

On 2/24/2019 at 9:17 AM, mvdf said:

I bought something at Hermes in Siam Paragon for 43k THB. Clerk took my card, inserted it in the card reader, tore off the approval slip and asked me to sign it.

Took the card from me... didn't even look at it. No passport or ID request. Did however ask if I wanted tax refund.

Inserted it in the card reader and keyed in amount, then green button... then started wrapping what I purchased. 

Took the card from the POS device and told me to sign the slip which I did. She took it back and handed the card and customer copy of slip back to me. Khab khun kha. Not once looked at the front and back of card from start to end of payment process.

43k baht.

Obviously, no need to check on the fine patrons at a Hermès Store ????

Credit card fraud sounds terrible to us poor mugs on the ground who still think it's morally wrong to 'steal' from a persons card.
I call us mugs because this is not what happens in the financial re-engineered world of fractional reserve banking.  No-one loses any money, in fact money is created from this theft!

The retailer (in this case 7-11) will not lose any money at all, it is all re-imbursed via insurance.  The bank does not lose any money at all as the money once 'stolen' is registered as a debt and in a fiat system debt is the wealth creator.  Thus on the back of this debt more money can now be 'created' and enter the system via the bank.  The rate depends but it is usually anywhere from 8-12 times the debt amount. So this 'theft' of 13,500 baht just made at least 130k THB into the Thai banking system.

Effectively the thief received an unsecured loan :-)
Now, us mugs on the ground will lament and moan and shake our heads because we feel something has been lost.

Nothing has been lost (aside from the trauma caused to the OP) and the biggest thieves and liars in all of this are the banks and the central banks who have re-engineered the banking system so that they create money out of thin air!

The only one to go to jail would be the thief on the ground.....but should he/she go to jail - or the bankers?

Visa or Mastercard neither want any public airing of fraud. Would damage their corporate image. Same thing with most banks. Why do you think they quickly reimburse clients fully who may have had their ATM cards used fraudulently? Same for credit cards.

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

On 2/5/2019 at 6:10 PM, Jonathan Swift said:

Not only am I an avid reader of this blog, I happen to be the guy this happened to. You may therefore be entertained by some of my responses to ignorant and calloused comments. Suffice it to say, it really happened, not all of the facts have been made public, there have been some unintentional errors in the story, and no body fluids or marriage proposals were exchanged if you must know. The ladyboy has a criminal history BTW according to the police. And rest assured my bank will be clawing back every cent from 7-11 and the others. The economic power of VISA is vast and relentless. The card was used 5 times at various locations before I cancelled it. 

You will get money from VISA, but merchants may charge you criminally for loss of income and you may never be able to leave Thailand.

Archived