"7-Eleven gave 13,550 baht to lady boy on my stolen card", claims Bangkok retiree

webfact

8 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

It seems there's also a 'floor limit' as to when they don't even require a signature.

I don't know what it is, - perhaps a couple of thousand Baht, or it may vary per retailer, I don't know.

My wife signed the slip. now her name is a Thai name, not the same as mine.

My card clearly has my English name.

I asked my wife what name did you sign the slip with, my own name she said.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, owl sees all said:

I have used my card in Tesco and simply put an 'X' in the signature space. It's not just seven-11. On the other hand, when I got my pink ID card, they were very thorough. Checked everything.

There does not seem to be a check for many things here.

Same here   X.

Thai son same  X.    Firt time, my son queried why they had accepted an X there was silence from the cashier and 'her friend'.

Son explained that it's the law, the signature must be checked against the signature on the card. 

Response: 'Ohh in Thailand there is no law'.

Son asked if they had received any training about processing CCs.

Answer: Yes, but only one time many years ago.

Son gave up and now rarely uses his CC. 

An American retiree living in Bangkok has told Thaivisa that a lady boy stole his wallet in Phuket. 

The man then used his wallet to get a 13,550 baht cash advance at 7-Eleven. 

Very refreshing to see the correct terminology used here.

Man,  good reporting :thumbsup:

7 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

Its always someone getting "pick pocketed" , or they "dodnt know". I believe they were having sex, fell asleep, and this person took his wallet and left. Some of yall need to live your truth and stop telling the media lies. I could be wrong....I'm just saying.

You might be right Splash. Maybe the farang was a bit slow in handing over the dosh. Ladyboy maybe thought he would speed up the payment system and get another chappie.

They do check the signed slip against the card signature in some places.  Most notably when I was eating with an American who had "Ask for ID" as his card signature, and signed the slip with his actual name.  It was rejected and they cancelled the transaction and started again.  This time he 'signed' the slip "Ask for ID" and no problem. 

1 hour ago, webfact said:

He blamed the 7-Eleven staff for being "ridiculously inattentive".

7/11 not too long ago began accepting credit and debit cards for purchases.... But I didn't know, have never heard, that they'd do cash advances based on bank cards. That's a new one on me.

That aside, in the retail sector in Thailand, virtually no staff ever bother to check whether the signature used on the sale matches the name or the signature on the back of the card itself. Most of the time, the retail staff never even bother to look, at long as the transaction successfully is processed thru their card machine.

It's sloppy, careless of security issues. But they and/or their employers don't really care. Protecting the card security and finances of their customers is not really their concern.

17 minutes ago, animalmagic said:

Retailers hold the power as they can threaten to not allow usage of certain cards in their outlets.  Retailers then get compensated for their losses from the fraud, which they did very little to prevent and they do generally have contractual limits.

So it's a win-win situation for thieves and non-checking by retailers.

Having a debit card and not a credit card, it seems that I could be a lot more at risk of financial loss from these shysters.

I'm please someone has posted that Tesco require PIN verification. Looks like only the more responsible retailers are interested. Big C don't give a damn, I know for a fact - no checking whatsoever.

49 minutes ago, robblok said:

Now for instance the guy claims to be pick pocketed but he has the ID card of the ladyboy (a copy). So I wonder how he got that. Maybe the guy had a relation with the ladyboy and that is how he got the copy of the ID. 

Or he got a copy from the same place he got a copy of the receipt.......

53 minutes ago, colinneil said:

Not only 7/11 never check signatures on cards, or even ask for signatures.

About 3 months ago my wife had my card, she was getting money out of an ATM for me.

She went into big C, got some shopping and paid for the shopping using my card.

Wife came home and said, you will never believe what happened in big C, what i asked, i used your card to pay for the shopping, girl never looked checked just said thank you.

Go and try it now' Unless a person has your pin number they can no longer use your card in most if not all Bic C stores and this will soon be the case nationwide.

59 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

It seems to me that the card system is another case of Western technology being used before the population know how to correctly deal with it.  Rules of the Road being but another example.   It shouldn't take a great deal of training time to demonstrate to the staff at ALL dealers, how to check a signature.  

A name in English and a Thai signature should stand out like dogs' ears!!!!

Just now, LennyW said:

Or he got a copy from the same place he got a copy of the receipt.......

That is also possible, I agree. Just find it hard to imagine how incompetent the 711 people are by getting a copy of the ID for the money but not verifying it. I just could not believe such incompetence. 

Well someone had to say it "What a Bummer"

Can't blame 7/11 staff. They  had no way of telling whether the ladyboy had permission to use the card or not and really neither do we.

If she/he used it without permission then it's fraud  but if he knew the guy and says he told me I could use it or he/she says he gave it to me then he probably walks.

1 minute ago, Tanlic said:

Go and try it now' Unless a person has your pin number they can no longer use your card in most if not all Bic C stores and this will soon be the case nationwide.

I hope this is the case.

Having said that, do you know if it means ALL transactions, or only those above a certain preset limit?

If so, then thieves will know this and just make more, smaller purchases.

Last time in Big C it you were require to 'sign' on an electronic display. Yet again - no comparing of the two signatures.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

That's because they keep sending the replies to Enid Blyton and Rumpelstiltskin.

12 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

Not in our local big C, not with my card, i use it every week, never gets checked.

10 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

That's if your card has a PIN.  Some still go for "chip and signature", rather than "chip and pin" authentication, which in my mind defeats the whole point of having the chip in the first place.  (Anyone from Amex Thailand reading this?) 

Just now, bluesofa said:

So it's a win-win situation for thieves and non-checking by retailers.

Having a debit card and not a credit card, it seems that I could be a lot more at risk of financial loss from these shysters.

I'm please someone has posted that Tesco require PIN verification. Looks like only the more responsible retailers are interested. Big C don't give a damn, I know for a fact - no checking whatsoever.

True.  It's only when losses start to mount up too high that changes will occur.  Credit card companies will have a profit to fraud loss ratio and will only act when that starts to move too far in the wrong direction.

Most 7-11 have ATMs outside their stores, and I've never heard of a cash advance being made instore, never.. 

Maybe the retiree had a relationship with the LB and as a form of security photographed his ID card on his phone as insurance in case an issue occurred.. 

But how did he get possession of the receipt after the event? 

Retailers in general have no security against cc fraud in Thailand. Never ask for a pin and never check signatures and it would appear the BoT aren't too concerned either.. 

But when fraud is detected visa or mastercard will promptly reimburse the disputed funds and the retailer will have the amount deducted after an investigation takes place. So the Thai retailer loses big time and has to recoup profits to cover the fraudulent sale. I'm surprised that large businesses don't have secure procedures in place to prevent cc fraud.. TIT.. 

53 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

Its always someone getting "pick pocketed" , or they "dodnt know". I believe they were having sex, fell asleep, and this person took his wallet and left. Some of yall need to live your truth and stop telling the media lies. I could be wrong....I'm just saying.

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

...and that would be relevant to 7eleven not checking ANYTHING...how...?!

In the end, it really doesn't matter if they had buttsex before or whatever!

7eleven!

Giving out money!

Not checking for card- details!

THAT is the story!

Not the sexual preferences of anybody! 

It's official now. Four of the largest credit card companies—Visa, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover—stopped requiring signatures on purchases.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/signatures-soon-may-not-be-required.php

The simple fact is that Visa and Mastercard want to be used for transactions that really should be done in cash. They know that proper checks will slow the transaction too much, causing people to choose cash instead. Hence their complete disregard for proper security. Pure greed at the expense of the clients - their standard policy.

2 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

It's official now. Four of the largest credit card companies—Visa, MasterCard, AMEX and Discover—stopped requiring signatures on purchases.

https://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/signatures-soon-may-not-be-required.php

And one of the reasons given:

"Why? Merchants typically don’t check a cardholder’s signature – either on a paper receipt or an electronic screen – against the signature on the back of a card, he says, and many cardholders fail to sign their cards anyway."

1 hour ago, MrMo said:

At Big-C you do not have to sign, scan or pin-number anything on a Visa or Mastercard Credit Card if the bill is below Baht 1,500.    For one of them the limit is shown at check-out as 700 but no notice is taken of that.

It's something similar like that when we shop at Central in BKK... Anything under 1000b for some months now hasn't required any signature or anything else--just hand over the card, anyone's card. But once it gets up into the 1000+ baht range somewhere, their system starts requiring a signature...

Lately, if I'm busy bagging or getting a coupon out or something at checkout, my wife will sign the purchase slip in my name. Doesn't bother the cashier in the least. Yes, it's my wife signing... But really, as far as the cashier is concerned, it likewise could be anyone!!!

She could take one of my cards and use it without me, and they'd accept it either without any signature at all for lesser amounts, or even with a signature (her signature, not mine) for larger amounts.

Absolutely zero fraud protection in the way it's handled at the retail level.

BTW, all my bank cards have PIN numbers associated with them and are capable of making PIN based purchases. But I don't think I've ever been asked to enter a PIN number for any card purchase transaction I've ever made in Thailand over many years.

7 minutes ago, sanmyintmaung said:

If merchants were doing what they are supposed to do, then maybe it has added a level of security,” says Andreae, of Philip Andreae and Associates. “Otherwise, as it is today, there is no value.”

Gemalto’s Jania believes not requiring signatures will have no effect on card security, since existing chip technology and other high-tech tools for verification of a cardholder’s identity aren’t going away. 

Laura Townsend, senior vice president of operations at the Merchant Advisory Group, agrees. In a statement, she praised the no-signature moves and noted that “new and improved” digital authentication tools – such as face, voice and fingerprint recognition – will bolster the security of in-store transactions via credit or debit card.

"IF"

There don't seem to be any "tools for verification" from my experience.

And as I said just now, having a debit not a credit card won't protect me one iota from what I can see from Thai banks.

3 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

There don't seem to be any "tools for verification" from my experience.

And as I said just now, having a debit not a credit card won't protect me one iota from what I can see from Thai banks.

When I go back to the U.S., PINs are commonly required for POS transactions when using a physical bank debit or credit card (apart from the whole mobile device/app purchasing method).

Here, there's NO tools for verification when using a standard bank credit or debit card for an in-person purchase -- no facial, no fingerprint, no voice, no nothing!

I'm please someone has posted that Tesco require PIN verification. Looks like only the more responsible retailers are interested. Big C don't give a damn, I know for a fact - no checking whatsoever

incorrect .

Archived