"7-Eleven gave 13,550 baht to lady boy on my stolen card", claims Bangkok retiree

webfact

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

Rumpelstiltskin:cheesy: and what was the forename? :tongue:

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, akampa said:
1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

I'm please someone has posted that Tesco require PIN verification. Looks like only the more responsible retailers are interested. Big C don't give a damn, I know for a fact - no checking whatsoever

incorrect .

Are you mind reader?

My Big C DO NOT CHECK any signatures - never in ten years, still not now.

Paid for some goods last month in Big C, signed on a small screen near the cashier. Cashier did not check my card.

How can you tell me I'm incorrect?

2 hours ago, DM07 said:

I really don't care, if they were lovers or what the deal here is.

The story is about 7eleven - workers, who did not do their job!

I mean: they count 80 Baht of change 7 times but did not bat an eyelid, when a THAI- person signs a credit card- receipt for a card that OBVIOUSLY belongs to a person with at least a foreign name, with a signature in THAI?

Great job, you monkeys! 

Its  called  "going thru the motions" they  just try to "look"  like they are doing something when in reality they are empty headed.

6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Are you mind reader?

Paid for some goods last month in Big C, signed on a small screen near the cashier. Cashier did not check my card.

No, but you generalized that Big C don't check signatures some do some don't .

3 minutes ago, akampa said:

No, but you generalized that Big C don't check signatures some do some don't .

I stand corrected.

I've seen two other posts on here about their Big C, agreeing with my experience.

Does your Big C check signatures? I personally have yet to find any branch that does. All I can say is that out of five I can think of, not one checks signatures.

When I I've tried to contact the head office on other matters, they keep getting the local store to phone you back, rather than being able to find out what their 'official policy' might be. So it's not easy to escalate anything to head office with them.

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

What do you expect them to do about it ?

29 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Are you mind reader?

I recently went to a bank and had to sign for cash on a UK bank card .

The cashier looked at my signature and said that they didnt match , and asked me to sign again and once again they didnt match .

She then gave me my ATM card back , told me to look at my signature on my ATM card and asked me to have another go at  trying to get my signature to match my signature on my ATM card .

Third time lucky and I managed to get my signature similar to my signature on my card 

2 hours ago, animalmagic said:

The major credit card issuers generally look upon anything that increases security as something that makes it more difficult for card holders to use their cards.  To them it's all about convenience of use leading to higher usage and greater commission.  Balanced against this they have taken into account how easy it may be for people to commit fraud and whether they have to pay back the card holder or swallow the loss.

On balance they don't give a monkey's about the people who suffer the losses or whether they have to pay back or not; they've done the calculations.

Do the banks REALLY think people will not use their card if they have to put a PIN in. Thais maybe, falangs NO, they are used to it and know it is secure.

It seems there's also a 'floor limit' as to when they don't even require a signature.

I don't know what it is, - perhaps a couple of thousand Baht, or it may vary per retailer, I don't know.

I read somewhere that it is Bht 1500. Below that you do not have to take the three seconds it takes to sign.

In UK, below£30 you CAN use the contactless card method, but to me that is just as dangerous and insecure as not signing or PINning (Is that a new word I made up) ?

3 hours ago, webfact said:

"One of my concerns is whether the police ever intended to investigate this in spite of the person having been positively identified with corroborating evidence on video at every merchant where the card was used. 

AH, come on mate, the BIB tried to call her on her phone, but she didn't answer.

Seriously, what more could they have done...

...and that would be relevant to 7eleven not checking ANYTHING...how...?!
In the end, it really doesn't matter if they had buttsex before or whatever!
7eleven!
Giving out money!
Not checking for card- details!
THAT is the story!
Not the sexual preferences of anybody! 
I could care less about his sexual preference or your fake outrage. I see guys telling the police officers lies because theyre living in shame. I made that comment because every other day someone is getting robbed by a ladyboy and the males keep saying that they didnt know it was a ladyboy. I dont care about your fake outrage. Be positive and stop attacking people on this forum please!

Sent from my Redmi 5 Plus using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, ballpoint said:

That's if your card has a PIN.  Some still go for "chip and signature", rather than "chip and pin" authentication, which in my mind defeats the whole point of having the chip in the first place.  (Anyone from Amex Thailand reading this?) 

How can you use a chip & signature card in an ATM please?

2 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

I could care less about his sexual preference or your fake outrage. I see guys telling the police officers lies because theyre living in shame. I made that comment because every other day someone is getting robbed by a ladyboy and the males keep saying that they didnt know it was a ladyboy. I dont care about your fake outrage. Be positive and stop attacking people on this forum please!

You made your comment about something that is completely irrelevant to the reported story!

Projection much?!

I have had some email correspondence with the Bank Of Thailand about this.

They control all the banks here, as well as making all Thai banks change cards to ones with the chip on them (and six-digit PINs) - 'for higher security' they said - Pah!.

I asked them directly why it was not compulsory for retailers to require the PIN to be entered.

BOT replied that it was 'up to the individual retailer' to select whether PIN or signature was required for transaction validation.

We all know that not requiring a PIN means that the transaction will be approved, rather than a higher security PIN requirement - as I said earlier - they will never, ever compare the signatures.

I told BOT it was a weak link in their system, as anyone finding/stealing a card can use it to make a purchase, If they needed the PIN, the card would be useless to a thief.

BOT 'thanked me for my suggestion and would pass it on to the department concerned'

You can't say I haven't tried...

BOT 'thanked me for my suggestion and would pass it on to the department concerned'.............And DO You believe them.....

The name on my debit card (BKK) is "BE 1ST VALUED MEMBER".  Never has it ever caused an issue either here or internationally.  It's just not part of their Authorisation protocol.

The 16 Digit number is seeded so you can know if it's Visa/Mastercard/Other, and the CVV is critical.  Other than that, "if computer says yes" then it will proceed.

Having the ID card of the perp is a major embarrassment to the story.  He obviously knows this person, but that's not really relevant to the theft.

I feel like I'm talking like a broken record when whining on about why people don't use cryptocurrencies.  Maybe in a year or two we might see 7Eleven being a little more Avant Garde (but 10 years later).

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

How can you use a chip & signature card in an ATM please?

If it's a debit card, you can use it in an ATM, you need to enter your six-digit PIN as you would normally.

(That's for a Thai ATM/debit cards anyway)

All ATM machines in Thailand will now read the chip details.

On 31 December 2019, magnetic strip only cards will cease to work in Thai ATMS, hence the BOT making Thai banks upgrade to chip & PIN cards before that date.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

If it's a debit card, you can use it in an ATM, you need to enter your six-digit PIN as you would normally.

On 31 December 2019, magnetic strip only cards will cease to work in Thai ATMS, hence the BOT making Thai banks upgrade to chip & PIN cards before that date.

So it IS a chip & PIN card, AND a chip & signature depending on where you use it.

6 minutes ago, Shiver said:

The name on my debit card (BKK) is "BE 1ST VALUED MEMBER".  Never has it ever caused an issue either here or internationally.  It's just not part of their Authorisation protocol.

The 16 Digit number is seeded so you can know if it's Visa/Mastercard/Other, and the CVV is critical.  Other than that, "if computer says yes" then it will proceed.

Having the ID card of the perp is a major embarrassment to the story.  He obviously knows this person, but that's not really relevant to the theft.

I feel like I'm talking like a broken record when whining on about why people don't use cryptocurrencies.  Maybe in a year or two we might see 7Eleven being a little more Avant Garde (but 10 years later).

The CVV number is only needed for online transactions.

3 minutes ago, wgdanson said:
6 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

So it IS a chip & PIN card, AND a chip & signature depending on where you use it.

Yes.

Like I said earlier, the BOT have (stupidly in my opinion) allowed the retailers to choose themselves the verification method - signature or PIN.

The magnetic strip will cease to be used in Thailand by the end of 2019, using only chip reader technology.

And to be even more pedantic, it still also has the magnetic strip on the back as well, to allow for countries that don't yet have Chip cards.

Eventually when all countries can use the chip reader reader technology, the magnetic strip will become obsolete.

When I asked Bangkok Bank call centre about continuing to use my magnetic strip only card after 2019 for online purchases, they told me I needed to replace it with a new chip card, as the old one will cease to be valid for all purchases - including online use.

12 minutes ago, Splash210 said:

Im sorry, I didnt know you were the person that theyre referring to in this article. Maybe you should be a little more careful next time.

If I were the person in the story, you would still be making irrelevant comments, that lack any sort of intellect! 

Archived