"7-Eleven gave 13,550 baht to lady boy on my stolen card", claims Bangkok retiree

webfact

3 hours ago, robblok said:

Now for instance the guy claims to be pick pocketed but he has the ID card of the ladyboy (a copy). So I wonder how he got that. Maybe the guy had a relation with the ladyboy and that is how he got the copy of the ID. 

From the OP ...

I had a lapse of attention and was pick-pocketed, from my shoulder bag, of about 5000 baht cash and a VISA credit card. I discovered the theft later in the day by checking unauthorized bank charges and collected evidence and ID information from the guest house and bar where this occurred.

So, he got the ID from the guest house, where (presumably) the thief was either a worker or a guest.

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are clueless when it comes to English writing and names etc, they don't check anything and they don't care what passes them by.  I recently purchased Travel Insurance from a certain Thai Bank, they had my Passport copy, Yellow Book etc and when i went back to pick up my Insurance Certificate and checked the details it said i was Mr British !    I asked the girl what that was all about and she said she would have to send it back to Bangkok to be altered, so i said.. ''You didn't check the details were correct before you called me then ? ''  ''Very busy right now '' was the reply.   Very busy popping out for drinks and snacks one presumes.   Later that day a different girl called me and asked me to come back to pick up my Certificate, so off i went the four Klicks once again and when i got there and checked all was well i said ''That got to Bangkok and back quick didn't it ? ''   She said.. ''Oh no; the other Lady made a mistake the first time and has now rectified it ''.  I then said.. ''Well; I've now made three trips of 8 return Klicks to get this document, so perhaps the bank would like to compensate me for unwanted journeys and the costs thereof  and 'rectify' that ! ''    Stunned silence as usual when confronted with the realities of proper, caring customer service.

Just now, wgdanson said:

Do the banks REALLY think people will not use their card if they have to put a PIN in. Thais maybe, falangs NO, they are used to it and know it is secure.

From the meetings I've been to it's a commonly stated excuse, by the marketing people who want to make sure more people use 'their' card, as to why they shouldn't implement more security.  They also stated that they had done the calculations re profit and possible fraud loss.  By the way the banks and the credit card operations seem to be separate entities, or at least don't communicate much to each other, in some places; had that experience when dealing with a Citibank credit card problem years ago.

4 hours ago, wgdanson said:

How did Mr F get a copy of the LBs ID card?

He pickpocketed him.

He made it sound as if the boy was some random person on the beach, but it seems likely they have a shared history.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

ed to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher

I believe they have a special file folder for letters like yours. 

Hard to imagine what they could realistically do. Possibly sever a finger for the first offense, public flogging for the second... 

1 minute ago, Suradit69 said:

He pickpocketed him.

He made it sound as if the boy was some random person on the beach, but it seems likely they have a shared history.

Do you mean the American picked the pocket of the LB to get his ID card and copy it, in order to prove that the LB had mis-used his, the Yanks, card. ? 

I poicked up a few th

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I hope this is the case.

Having said that, do you know if it means ALL transactions, or only those above a certain preset limit?

If so, then thieves will know this and just make more, smaller purchases.

Last time in Big C it you were require to 'sign' on an electronic display. Yet again - no comparing of the two signatures.

I picked up a few items the other day and it came to 360 baht and had to put my pin number in. First week they had a few glitches with some banks and it wouldn't accept  but the manageress says it's working 100% for all cards now

7 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Do you mean the American picked the pocket of the LB to get his ID card and copy it, in order to prove that the LB had mis-used his, the Yanks, card. ? 

Since my comment was facetiously sarcastic or maybe sarcastically facetious, I'm not sure what I meant.

No wait. Yes, that's what I meant. There probably had been some mutual pocket exploration involved.

54 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

From the OP ...

So, he got the ID from the guest house, where (presumably) the thief was either a worker or a guest.

What i know about pay for play is that if you take someone like that to your guesthouse they need to show their ID it gets copied. So its quite likely that this guy was a customer of the ladyboy. How else would he know where his pickpocket lived. So I am not so sure it was pick-pocketing more a theft by a sex worker (my guess anyway_

4 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

This story has more holes than

image.png.7f79288d82edda40f9a84c1c05a71f2f.png

OK, I'm listening, wise guy. What holes? I'm the guy it happened to. I'd be happy to ameliorate your ignorance with a few more facts should the truth have a special place in your blessed little heart. That's not all I'd like to do, perhaps have your mom send you to bed without your supper, but my exposure to this Buddhist culture has fostered a more serene and peaceful temperament than I once had. Let me point out that the reporter went ahead with the story without actually interviewing me and going over the details, so if it's a bit inconsistent in detail the basic facts remain. There are in fact a few mistakes, which are inconsequential to the overall story. He did make some corrections by including my written statements. I'm grateful for the spotlight he brings to this incident, and in the end all that matters is catching the thief and holding 7-11 to be an accessory to credit card fraud. For example, what I said about getting the cash back was that it wasn't my biggest concern at the time, but it is enough to not want to lose it in the end. It was a theft, credit card fraud, shady business on the part of 7-11, and seemingly a less than motivated police dept. Nothing we haven't seen here before. All else is irrelevant. Capiche? When something like this happens to you, and it will sooner or later, or perhaps when you acquire some maturity,  you may view such things with a bigger and  more sympathetic perspective. I hope so. (Footnote, I have an extensive education in law in the US which gives me some valuable insights, and in the US the press has been my ally, but TIT and one proceeds cautiously and does not disclose what is not necessary when in unfamiliar territory. The attached news story from 2003 is based on a lawsuit I filed against the Enfield CT USA police dept for violating my 4th amendment rights)

Robbery.png

4 hours ago, keith101 said:

As much as i hate painting these lady boys with the same brush but they just cannot be trusted .

Your feelings are valid. Stereotyping is regrettable, but sometimes it has some validity. I would expand on that by saying that caution should not be limited to them, and this is not the only thing to beware of here. 

28 minutes ago, Tanlic said:

I poicked up a few th

I picked up a few items the other day and it came to 360 baht and had to put my pin number in. First week they had a few glitches with some banks and it wouldn't accept  but the manageress says it's working 100% for all cards now

That is encouraging then, if some Big C's are capable of doing it.

1 minute ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Your feelings are valid. Stereotyping is regrettable, but sometimes it has some validity. I would expand on that by saying that caution should not be limited to them, and this is not the only thing to beware of here. 

Ladyboys or other sex workers are always a risk. Plenty of things to worry about but many can be avoided and some are just bad luck. 

1 minute ago, Jonathan Swift said:

No, next question. 

How did you get the copy of the ID card if you got it from a guest house then it stands to reason you know the person. It could have been one of your guests as often guest houses require copies of ID's of Thais (especially in the more seedy places) if you take them to your room.

I won't judge I could care less if you like ladyboys to each his or her own. 

I just find the whole ID card copy a bit strange (unless it came from 711 then it would be logical)

But if you know the person then pick pocketing is strange.

Just now, Jonathan Swift said:

Mr. Field (me) has quite an arsenal of investigative resources at his disposal. For obvious reason I can't tip my hand. 

Yea right.. i believe you.. not really. Anyway good luck in recovering your money.

1 hour ago, wgdanson said:

How can you use a chip & signature card in an ATM please?

It's an American Express credit card, not a Thai bank issued credit / debit / ATM card, and can't be used at an ATM.  There is no PIN associated with the card.

"Chip-and-Signature and Chip-and-PIN are two different Card Verification Modes (CVMs). CVMs are used when making purchases with credit cards, to verify that the real accountholder is using the card and not a fraudster.

Simply put, signature cards will require a signature to verify the transaction, while PIN cards will require a PIN...

...You can still typically get by in other countries with signature-priority cards, because most terminals can process either signature or PIN verification modes. But in some cases you might have a hard time using unattended self-checkout terminals and kiosks, which might not accept signatures."

https://www.creditcardinsider.com/learn/chip-and-signature-chip-and-pin-emv-cards/

I also have a Singapore bank issued ATM / debit card that has a chip and magnetic strip, but the chip only works in Singapore.  To get money from an ATM outside of Singapore it uses the magnetic strip, which may be turned on and off online in case of theft.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

On the positive side, in cases of fraud 99% of the time the cards will give your money back and pursue the thieves themselves. There are ways to contact credit cards re: issues, but you have to find the side and back doors. 

In the first story he said he was pick pocketed on the beach, on his updated story he said it happened in a guesthouse and bar !!!!

And how did he get hold of the signed receipt from the 7/11, only the person who used the card would have that ?

its obvious he’s been with the ladyboy and got ripped off and now he’s trying to cover up the whole truth !

4 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Fully agree from observation at customers in front.

Just yesterday (at TOPS), they put the slip on the clipboard, wait for signature.

Job done, not turning/comparing card.

(I don't do any card payment at shops)

TOPS at Victory monument doesn't even take my signature, just hands me my receipt

Not only am I an avid reader of this blog, I happen to be the guy this happened to. You may therefore be entertained by some of my responses to ignorant and calloused comments. Suffice it to say, it really happened, not all of the facts have been made public, there have been some unintentional errors in the story, and no body fluids or marriage proposals were exchanged if you must know. The ladyboy has a criminal history BTW according to the police. And rest assured my bank will be clawing back every cent from 7-11 and the others. The economic power of VISA is vast and relentless. The card was used 5 times at various locations before I cancelled it. 

11 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

Simply put, signature cards will require a signature to verify the transaction, while PIN cards will require a PIN...

Thank you for that information, I would never have guessed!        LOL

13 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

But in some cases you might have a hard time using unattended self-checkout terminals and kiosks, which might not accept signatures."

How can an unattended self-checkout terminal accept a signature please?

Archived