"7-Eleven gave 13,550 baht to lady boy on my stolen card", claims Bangkok retiree

webfact

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Not only am I an avid reader of this blog, I happen to be the guy this happened to. You may therefore be entertained by some of my responses to ignorant and calloused comments. Suffice it to say, it really happened, not all of the facts have been made public, there have been some unintentional errors in the story, and no body fluids or marriage proposals were exchanged if you must know. The ladyboy has a criminal history BTW according to the police. And rest assured my bank will be clawing back every cent from 7-11 and the others. The economic power of VISA is vast and relentless. The card was used 5 times at various locations before I cancelled it. 

I don't know which is more stupid, letting your Lady Boy 'one-nighter' get hold of your card, or posting the whole story on here, inviting 'ignorant and calloused comments' under the pseudonum Johnathan Swift, and then post your 'real ' name. The real Mr Swift DID write some good stories though.

Robbery.png

Given that the name on the slip doesn't match that on the ID card (nor, obviously, the name on the credit card), there can only be two conclusions drawn. Either:

The ID card was copied at the time of the transaction, in which case the owner of the card can plead that he never made the transaction because it's not his name on the slip (but puts the 7-11 employee in a tight spot).

Or

The thief is known to the victim of the theft, who either already had a copy of the ID card, or knew where to get one, despite it being a different name from that on the slip.

4 minutes ago, Jonathan Swift said:

On the positive side, in cases of fraud 99% of the time the cards will give your money back and pursue the thieves themselves. There are ways to contact credit cards re: issues, but you have to find the side and back doors. 

Mine are debit cards though, not credit cards. They still use the same 'clearing' system. As these are Thai issued, I don't imagine I'd have any chance of being credited for any fraud because the staff didn't check my signature.

My wife once left her ATM/debit card in the ATM slot and walked off. She went back half an hour later and it had gone.

Contacted SCB who issued it. They told her the card had been used a few minutes earlier in Big C for a 3,000 Baht-odd purchase.

She rushed to Big C, they confirmed what the bank had told her. Obviously the cashier hadn't compared the Thai signatures (as I've complained about here already today).

Incredibly, Big C found the transaction, and the woman who used it also used her Big C loyalty card with the purchase, a pretty stupid thief.

Got the police involved. They arrested the woman, made her refund my wife's money, plus 'damages' for the hassle caused, then sent her to court where was later sentenced and imprisoned.

20 minutes ago, ballpoint said:

I don't know.  Why not clink on the link that the quoted sentences came from?

I just did, and found out the same information you quoted.....a chip & signature card needs a signature, and a chip & PIN needs a PIN.

But WHO verifies the signature is the big question?

1 minute ago, wgdanson said:

I just did, and found out the same information you quoted.....a chip & signature card needs a signature, and a chip & PIN needs a PIN.

No one, in my experience -they don't even know who Enid Blyton or Rumpelstiltskin were.

12 minutes ago, Booboo101 said:

In the first story he said he was pick pocketed on the beach, on his updated story he said it happened in a guesthouse and bar !!!!

And how did he get hold of the signed receipt from the 7/11, only the person who used the card would have that ?

its obvious he’s been with the ladyboy and got ripped off and now he’s trying to cover up the whole truth !

OK, wiseass, the only thing that's obvious is your ignorance, attention deficit,  and crass attitude.  Did you know that merchants actually keep their own records? Ya think? You know, the the copy they keep when you sign, right? I'm the guy it happened to. They produced it and  let me photograph it. The original  story was printed without the reporter double checking with me.  Hence, the mistakes and corrections, based on my followup messages to him. . Yup. "C-O-R-R-E-C-T-I-O-N-S" . Had you read carefully and used your head you would have seen that there was an update. The area in general was referred to as Patong Beach. No one ever said it was "on the beach". Banzaan Rd, Patong Beach area. Across from Jung Ceylon and the Tiger Restaurant. The actual beach is two blocks south, a stone's throw. I had sent a very general statement to the newspaper, expecting a more thorough interview before printing. He jumped the gun. He sent me an email to notify me of the corrections. As to the receipt I did my own legwork following the trail of the thief within hours, using my bank's records to find the 7-11 locations. I learned a long time ago through my education in law that evidence is best gathered before the trail goes cold. And don't make presumptions as to police priorities. I came within an hour of catching her red handed at one of the 7-11s. Two of the 7-11s cooperated and gave or showed me receipts on the spot. Any more questions? I got time to fill you in on "the whole truth", have you? Or is it too much fun taking potshots from your peanut gallery? Here are the written records, including a second receipt not mentioned. There were 5 charges on the card, three at 7-11s. I found just the 2. The second receipt, unsigned,  can be identified by my card # 433443******0977. I notified the 7-11 corporate office that there would be a newspaper story in case they wanted to weigh in before losing face publicly. Speaking of face, how's yours? 

Robbery.png

robbery2.png

IMG_4304.jpg

Just now, wgdanson said:

Which is why I wrote in my original post something about how chip and signature seems to make the whole chip business pointless.  I would prefer a chip and PIN card, but Amex Thailand don't issue them, so I can either live with what I've got, or use another provider.  I already have other cards with PINs, but I like the frequent flyer points the Amex gives, and the rather high monthly credit limit, and, as I never use any credit card at an ATM, will stick with what I've got.

OK, wiseass, the only thing that's obvious is your ignorance, attention deficit,  and crass attitude.  Did you know that merchants actually keep their own records? Ya think? You know, the the copy they keep when you sign, right? I'm the guy it happened to. They produced it and  let me photograph it. The original  story was printed without the reporter double checking with me.  Hence, the mistakes and corrections, based on my followup messages to him. . Yup. "C-O-R-R-E-C-T-I-O-N-S" . Had you read carefully and used your head you would have seen that there was an update. The area in general was referred to as Patong Beach. No one ever said it was "on the beach". Banzaan Rd, Patong Beach area. Across from Jung Ceylon and the Tiger Restaurant. The actual beach is two blocks south, a stone's throw. I had sent a very general statement to the newspaper, expecting a more thorough interview before printing. He jumped the gun. He sent me an email to notify me of the corrections. As to the receipt I did my own legwork following the trail of the thief within hours, using my bank's records to find the 7-11 locations. I learned a long time ago through my education in law that evidence is best gathered before the trail goes cold. And don't make presumptions as to police priorities. I came within an hour of catching her red handed at one of the 7-11s. Two of the 7-11s cooperated and gave or showed me receipts on the spot. Any more questions? I got time to fill you in on "the whole truth", have you? Or is it too much fun taking potshots from your peanut gallery? Here are the written records, including a second receipt not mentioned. There were 5 charges on the card, three at 7-11s. I found just the 2. The second receipt, unsigned,  can be identified by my card # 433443******0977. I notified the 7-11 corporate office that there would be a newspaper story in case they wanted to weigh in before losing face publicly. Speaking of face, how's yours? 
Robbery.png.39e004e0e697e865159c2ed9c75daddc.png
robbery2.png.fc644aac7099bd3edd39446b17dba39f.png
IMG_4304.thumb.jpg.006288643cf00c5e54e31983369b6a55.jpg

Well detailed ! There’s always the crackpots on TV who think highlighting fraud is thaibashing

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

In November I had my wallet from my computer bag when I was riding the MRT. When I got to my hotel I checked through my wallet before going to eat dinner and it was gone. I got on my PC and started checking if there was any usage. It only took them 15-20 minutes to take as much as they could from Tesco. I called my bank and credit cards to shut them down right away but they had already been flagged for the amount of usage and maxed on every transaction.

With my debit card they would need to provide a signature with every transaction and my credit card not. On both cards they managed about 3000usd in probably less than 30 min. I was able to retrieve all the money taken from my debit card but as my credit card was left 600usd citi bank said they didn't have enough evidence. 

I wander about what Tesco would have done once they found out they lost 2400usd? They just hand over whatever with not checking a western name and a Thai person buying and take the chance in loosing money for not checking ID?

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

Not only 7/11 never check signatures on cards, or even ask for signatures.

About 3 months ago my wife had my card, she was getting money out of an ATM for me.

She went into big C, got some shopping and paid for the shopping using my card.

Wife came home and said, you will never believe what happened in big C, what i asked, i used your card to pay for the shopping, girl never looked checked just said thank you.

The fact that they never even look at a signature let alone compare it to the card signature suggests that they are not even trained to do so.  In fact in Tesco and Big C now they dont ask for a signature or a PIN which suggests that they are using the 'contactless' card facility which allows purchases up to about 1200thb.

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

You can even sign with a smily face whatever they dont care as long as the card is valid and the money gets in their account 

6 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I'm please someone has posted that Tesco require PIN verification. Looks like only the more responsible retailers are interested. Big C don't give a damn, I know for a fact - no checking whatsoever.

I've been shopping at the Tesco Hypermart at OnNuch for many years, generally pay with my foreign debit cards when there, and never once have been asked to enter a PIN. Always swipe and sign only. Although, my purchases there usually are under the 1500b amount.

2 hours ago, Jonathan Swift said:

Not only am I an avid reader of this blog, I happen to be the guy this happened to. You may therefore be entertained by some of my responses to ignorant and calloused comments. Suffice it to say, it really happened, not all of the facts have been made public, there have been some unintentional errors in the story, and no body fluids or marriage proposals were exchanged if you must know. The ladyboy has a criminal history BTW according to the police. And rest assured my bank will be clawing back every cent from 7-11 and the others. The economic power of VISA is vast and relentless. The card was used 5 times at various locations before I cancelled it. 

You seem like a really, really annoying person. But fair play to you. 

9 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've been shopping at the Tesco Hypermart at OnNuch for many years, generally pay with my foreign debit cards when there, and never once have been asked to enter a PIN. Always swipe and sign only.

Is that an option set on your card? I've never been able to pay without using my PIN. 

38 minutes ago, SunsetT said:

The fact that they never even look at a signature let alone compare it to the card signature suggests that they are not even trained to do so.  In fact in Tesco and Big C now they dont ask for a signature or a PIN which suggests that they are using the 'contactless' card facility which allows purchases up to about 1200thb.

With the contactless facility the owner of the card usually has to tap the card on a machine. In Tesco & Big C....Noooooooo!

7 hours ago, wgdanson said:

How did Mr F get a copy of the LBs ID card?

A YES answer to vaccuum's question probably.

Perhaps she/he dropped it in his shoulder bag by mistake when stealing the loose cash and card. Obviously the only reason?

38 minutes ago, bananafish said:

Is that an option set on your card? I've never been able to pay without using my PIN. 

The foreign debit cards I use there are compatible with either swipe and sign, or, PIN based purchases. The only ones Tesco has ever done when I've been there have been swipe and sign.

But more broadly, when I've been shopping there many times, I've never seen any other customers there paying with cards being asked to key in PIN numbers. Just swipe and sign is all I've ever seen there.

As I said earlier, I've lived here for many years, use my same home country debit cards for all kinds of purchases here constantly, and can't remember EVER in Thailand being asked by anyone to enter a PIN in order to process a purchase.  These days, it's just insert the card into their card reader, and get the receipt back, or be asked to sign the card slip for larger amount transactions. That's all!!!

Since I got my new Kasikorn card (recently forced as of a new chip or something), I have to enter my pin, 6 digits now, for each transaction / happy with it.
For VISA payments itself you can set a limit in Internet banking and otherwise with OTP sms code.

In all the years I have never seen them checking my name or signature, I just write my first name since years.
For that reason I always had 2 saving accounts linked within Mobile banking and carrying only the card with little money while being able to do realtime transfers via Mobile banking to top up. Pretty tight safety wise.

Such a level of Bull sugar I've never seen.  Memory "lapses" at 3:25 in the morning" while Ladyboy/Man/Girl, whatever steals wallet. This story is so unbelievable, credit card company should refuse reimbursement. Tell that story to Thai GF if there is one, see if she buys into that crap.

Archived