"7-Eleven gave 13,550 baht to lady boy on my stolen card", claims Bangkok retiree

webfact

Didn't have time to read through all the replies - but <deleted> does that thai signature look like one from Mr Gregory M Field? A couple of wais a 50 baht fine for blatent fraud that should about cover it - PM says the corruption index didn't get screwy because of that watch guy I guess it must be because of the 7/11 then let's find something else to blame because it's not my fault!

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DJ54 said:

If it was a romanticish encounter I’d say Karma snapping back 

at you....... but you said pickpocketed. Hope you get your things back

So you think someone should be punished for a "romanticish" encounter? Are you catholic? Should all gays be burned at the stake as well? Adulterers should be stoned to death ?

I recently retired from a 24 year career in law enforcement from a Sheriff's Office in California.  Like those of you who have questions and comments regarding this story, I also am skeptical, but then again, it's not my soap opera.  So, instead of thrashing on the "victim" in this case, I'll offer a little insight into this sort of thing from the perspective of how it is often handled in the U.S., and more specifically at the local level in California.  

Keep in mind that Thailand as we all know by now, does things much differently from what we are used to in our home country and despite any shortcomings or oddities, we choose to vacation or live here by our own free will.  Nobody is forcing us to do so.

In and of itself, the initial crime of pickpocketing is 484a p.c. which is petty theft. That is a misdemeanor.  With recent legal changes in California, some felonies have been lessened in severity to misdemeanors and some misdemeanors have been lessened in severity to infractions, and some infractions have just been eliminated from the books altogether.  

As for the use of the bank card at the various 7-11's and other shops, that act falls under 484g p.c. which is defined as the fraudulent use of a credit card or account.  This particular offense is also a misdemeanor.  In addition to or instead of charging the criminal (ladyboy) with 484g p.c., said perpetrator can be charged with 530.5(a) p.c. which is identity theft.  This is also a misdemeanor.  

Keep in mind that some agencies have different protocol as to how certain offenses are charged or investigated, usually based on standing agreements with the local district attorney's office.  Some agencies may have different ways of handing this particular situation and I am only speaking in regards to my experience with the agency from which I retired.   

As far as how this crime would be handled or investigated will depend on the venue agency.  In other words, an agency which is responsible for law enforcement services over a population in the millions is most likely not going to investigate a crime such as this let alone take a report.  A smaller agency which might service a population in the thousands on the other hand, will probably take the time to work the case and submit it for prosecution if they can take it that far.  This will depend on the amount of evidence collected and whether or not the suspect can be identified.

My experience in these matters is that many clerks, whether at convenience stores, grocery stores or other establishments, simply do not check to see if the signature given matches the name on the card or verify the user's identity by asking to see a valid form of identification.  

Now, I'm not sure how the "victim" came to obtain one of the original signed receipts with the "suspect's" signature on it and don't get me started on how or why the "victim" has the "suspect's" identification card.  Let's just say that I also have some questions as to how that came to be.

As for the banking institutions themselves, they just tend to reimburse the victim for their loss, often times without question because this sort of thing happens quite regularly and it is often cheaper for the card companies to pay out on the loss rather than lose more money in trying to investigate the matter any further or to seek prosecution for the crime.  Besides that, the card companies and banks charge interest for a reason.

For what it's worth to anybody who's made it this far in my rambling, I would suggest that you carry only the necessities with you when you're out and about.  The only things I carry with me are my passport card, Thai drivers license, one debit card and just enough cash for that particular outing.  Instead of using a wallet, I keep it all contained in a large binder clip.  It works the same as a money clip.  I carry this in one of my front pockets instead of a backpack or other sort of bag.  But this way, if I should lose my belongings or if they are stolen from me, it is easier to recover from it than if my passport book was lost or stolen from me.  I'm not concerned with the loss or theft of a Thai drivers license which can easily be replaced, and I can always contact my bank and cancel the debit card, rendering it useless.

16 hours ago, wgdanson said:

How did Mr F get a copy of the LBs ID card?

A YES answer to vaccuum's question probably.

Your YES answer is doubtful unless you know the facts based on interviewing the victim/OP. Poor "policework" on your part Sherlock. Same goes for Vacuum

16 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I have complained to both Visa and Mastercard regarding the fact that in over ten years using Thai bank issued debit cards, not once ever, ever, ever has any retailer checked my signature on the card against the voucher.

I told them that I have signed my name in the past as Enid Blyton and twice also as Rumpelstiltskin, to highlight the fact - because  I can.

Neither company will reply to my emails. They obviously think it's more beneficial to themselves to ignore it.

i thought I was the only one that tested this,,, I was Lance Lott and Arthur King,,, They never checked

Now for instance the guy claims to be pick pocketed but he has the ID card of the ladyboy (a copy). So I wonder how he got that. Maybe the guy had a relation with the ladyboy and that is how he got the copy of the ID. 

He very likely got a copy from the police - he / she has a criminal record. I mean if you read the story - the police even have his phone number.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

18 hours ago, owl sees all said:

I have used my card in Tesco and simply put an 'X' in the signature space. It's not just seven-11. On the other hand, when I got my pink ID card, they were very thorough. Checked everything.

There does not seem to be a check for many things here.

Mail that requires a signature have never had my ID checked, even told me once my wife collected letter, she was 250 km away, when i threatened to call the police,said come back 6pm,?? "but your closed", "open at back" so i returned at 6 pm and low and behold got my letter.????:1zgarz5:

Just remember in the developed Western world if it is clearly proven that a thief has illegally taken money from your account, then the bank have to give you that stolen money . This is certainly true in the UK! In Thailand it’s a case of “ too bad “ nothing returned

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

[quote post="13813275" timestamp="1549395951" name="ibtg68" userid="

In and of itself, the initial crime of pickpocketing is 484a p.c. which is petty theft. That is a misdemeanor.  .  

As for the use of the bank card at the various 7-11's and other shops, that act falls under 484g p.c. which is defined as the fraudulent use of a credit card or account.  This particular offense is also a misdemeanor.  In addition to or instead of charging the criminal (ladyboy) with 484g p.c., said perpetrator can be charged with 530.5(a) p.c. which is identity theft.  This is also a misdemeanor.  

So in the land of law enforcement(liberal California ) and tough penalties for crimes ! Stealing someone’s bank card and then using it is a “misdemeanour” in common language “a minor offence” ! Amazing ! Would

Think LA and SF would be rife with these crimes !

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Mr Field said he has common sense but suffers from an anxiety disorder that lends him to being forgetful and inattentive. This played a part in him losing his wallet. 

I thought it was stolen. 

Retirees should be around red light areas anyway, especially after dark. They should be in bed with a cup of Horlicks. 

3 hours ago, fullcave said:

So, CP chicken group, owners of 7/11, True Move etc  etc. want to bring banking to 7/11 with their Chinese partners. What could go wrong? ????

CP are the largest conglomerate in Thailand and probable the world. They are not a chicken group.

So the victim of the fraud is here on Thaivisa and already cleared things up for us. 

Maybe you could share more details , where did you hang out that night, where did you meet the LB etc etc. 

Greg Field here again. I am the subject of this story. Now that the hecklers in the peanut gallery have had their fun with what they understandably see as a ripely salacious story, and I can't say I blame you folks for milking the drama for what it's worth given that the topic of ladyboys is a limitless subject for sniggering juvenile humor, but this IS a serious matter as MOST of you know. My investigation into 7-11 is ongoing. I have reason to suspect that there is a quid pro quo here, not just mere incompetence. So if you folks are interested in doing something of importance I would like any of you readers who have experienced something like this at the hands of 7-11, or know of someone who has, please contact ThaiVisa. My story is ongoing and there will be followups. You could make a big difference in saving future theft victims from this easily preventable experience. I'm hoping that higher ups in 7-11 management will want to "save face" before said face becomes gangrenous and  falls off and rolls into the gutter. And we all know about the gutters in Thailand. Thanks

Greg

On 2/6/2019 at 9:15 AM, wreckingcountry said:

Just remember in the developed Western world if it is clearly proven that a thief has illegally taken money from your account, then the bank have to give you that stolen money . This is certainly true in the UK! In Thailand it’s a case of “ too bad “ nothing returned

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I got my money back right away. I have notified the almighty VISA corporation that there is likely widespread fraud on the part of 7-11, and they certainly have the financial clout to put the legal sqeeze on them. There are more than 8000 7-11s in Thailand, that's an awful lot of larceny

I'm guessing it doesn't happen to often or Visa card would stop Thailand from using its systems.

I wanted to buy something from US shipped to Thailand. They would send to Australia but not Thailand.

I wonder if it's because of perceived incompetence.

Police and government just do enough I guess to not be stonewalled completely by other nations.

Archived