Friend went incommunicado for 24 hours. Help?

PPVisitor

When you say his bungalow is locked, what sort of lock -- i.e. is it an outside padlock such that it is clear he's not inside? Or is it possible he is in the room, sick or dead?

If it is possibel that he is in there then I would as a priority track down the bungalow owners/managers and have them open it to check on him.  It can't be that hard,  people have to be able to find them in order to rent from them. Perhaps ask people in neighboring bungalows.

I don't think you need to be overly paranoid doing that. The fact that they are seedy looking bungalows does not mean the owners are homicidal maniacs. there haven't been any reports of bungalow operators slaying tourists on PP that I can ever recall.

if that fails - or if he's not there - next recourse has to be the police, and Tourist Police are easier to deal with than the usual kind. If you are really unwilling to contact them, notify his family and have them do it, but that will take a bit longer as they'll have to go through their own government who will notify Embassy to notify police etc etc.

No matter what has happened to him I don't think notifying the police is going to put you in great danger. If he was a victim of foul play it's got to come out eventually and it's not like you are accusing anyone in particular.

Police will also know - or be able to find out - if any bodies have been found recently or any accident victims taken to hospital.

Checking hospitals is also a good idea. There are AFAIK only 2 on PP, the government hospital and Worldmed. Both are small so shouldn't take too long.  But if he was found seriously hurt he'll likely have been evacuated to the mainland - again, police would know.

11 minutes ago, PPVisitor said:

Found him, had to ask the bungalow management—he had passed out through all that 30 hours. Scary experience, thought he had gone missing, or worse... Thanks for all the tips! Really appreciate it...

Yes as i said in my other post, having a good time legless through drink, at least he is ok.

So all you folk saying kick the door in, get the police, scaring PP out his skull, you were all wrong.

@colinneil He wasn't having a good time. He was sick, temperature through the roof and as a result, he passed out. Gonna get food and do the needful after this. I had to knock the door loud enough to not only wake him up but also bother the neighbors, would've kicked the door open if really there was no response.

10 hours ago, cornishcarlos said:

Glad you got to him in time...

Wouldn't want to rely on some of the posters on here, if I needed help !! 

Hope he makes a quick recovery..

I understand your concern.

But how likely is it that someone who was healthy the day before gets so sick so quick that he can't pick up a phone, make a noise or open a window or a door?

I am sure many millions of people live alone in almost every country and many of them will not have someone knocking at there door within 48 hours. In that way above case seems to be very unusual - but obviously it's good that the guy gets the care he needs now.

Moral of the story, when someone is unexpectedly missing, get the landlord/hotel to open up their room. The sooner the better. Luckily this man was found in time. 30 hours of high fever and likely no fluids could potentially kill someone.

OP goes without saying, get him to a doctor. And make sure he takes plenty of fluids. Fresh coconut water is good for that.

Archived