Something disgusting I saw at Curve Mall (although it was not surprising), leaving me to question why (?)

jayjay2001

I have been at the Curve Mall two times, about a month apart. THERE WAS NO SOAP IN BATHROOMS BOTH TIMES. I saw a restaurant staff person go into one of the men's stalls taking a few squares of toilet paper with him, but no soap (and, as mentioned, there was no soap in the bathroom). Disgusting. The view of the women's sink basin is also visible from the hall; no soap there either. (Yes, I know it's Thailand, but still.) There are places to eat and drink at the mall; and, of course, staff from these places are using the public bathrooms...and, then, going back to serve customers. Of course, as I have been living in Thailand for 9 years, this is not unusual to see, i.e., no soap and hand dryers in the bathrooms.

So here is my question(s):

Why does any somewhat modernized city not provide basic hygiene supplies in their public bathrooms? It’s basic health and science. 

--Is it because of a lack of money?

--Is it because of a lack of care and concern for public health?

--Is it simply ignorance that this is a health concern (which would be hard to believe)?

--Is it because there is no oversight by a regulatory body such as health departments in the Western world? 

--Is it all or some of the above?

I am trying to wrap my mind around why this is so.  Does anyone have a verified answer, or at least an opinion backed by some known fact of some sort?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's be honest, how many Thai's wash their hands.  Take it a step further, how many hospitals or hospital restrooms have soap or anti bacterial hand cleanser.   It's a western thing, Thai's give little or no credence to anything non-Thai, and especially "work" that is not self serving or "me centric".   Eg: my shit covered, stinky hands don't bother me, so end of discussion, full stop.

Totally normal for Somchai to walk out of a toilet stall after a major crunch,  has rubbed his arse with some water, wiped his hands on his shirt, and carries on, proud as a peacock.

Think about that the next time the extended family is foraging through the sticky rice basket, bowl of larb moo, and licking their fingers clean...

31 minutes ago, CanuckThai said:

Totally normal for Somchai to walk out of a toilet stall after a major crunch,  has rubbed his arse with some water, wiped his hands on his shirt, and carries on, proud as a peacock.

Think about that the next time the extended family is foraging through the sticky rice basket, bowl of larb moo, and licking their fingers clean...

Screen Spew Alert.

Thai food is so tasty.
I stopped going to a soup stall at central food court

Simple request "no sugar" failed most of the time and 2 FULL TABLE SPOONS of sugar still went into my soup. The ladies spoke English but they were brain dead

Msg and sugar makes it tasty.. Yuk no thanks

Have gone to many public restrooms and found myself in a bit of a pickle...no paper...no sprayer...and a dirty butt...Now carry paper from home everywhere I go.

These same people leave the toilet and go food shopping where they handle displayed foods with unclean hands.  Yikes!

14 minutes ago, madmen said:

Simple request "no sugar" failed most of the time and 2 FULL TABLE SPOONS of sugar still went into my soup. The ladies spoke English but they were brain dead

??

Of course,  she has no idea what you are talking about.

You stand there, watch her, say no and wave her off as she goes for the sugar.

Some common sense and intuition can go a long way here...

53 minutes ago, madmen said:

Tablespoons?

Two in one bowl serving?

Unlikely, unless she was in a real dream.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

It would be even less tasty if they washed their hands.

(I think I need to sharpen my humour skills.)

In every food stall or road side noodle shop their is a tray with condiments where you help yourself to whatever you want to add. Nobody has ever put sugar in my soup.

As for hygiene rules and regulations - having trained people all over the world on this subject I am surprised at times that I don’t see more people getting sick here - but then again - stick to food exposed to high heat and you should be fairly safe!

It is usually people who overdo it with cleanliness all their life who get sick first because they do not built up any immunity.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well, how are they supposed to know about health and hygeine.

This country is lets be honest, in most areas 40yrs behind the West.

Can you older ones remember 40yrs ago when you were a kid,...what modern hygiene facilities were there.....wooden handled bog pull chains, no anti bacterial, Izal tracing paper that slid beautifully, no soap or dispensor soap......but I do remember the drill about washing hands so it became a habit.

Its all about education and knowledge surely, thats why its backward here.

I can imagine India being even further adrift

8 hours ago, madmen said:

Learn to say no sugar, in thai.

15 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Let's be honest, how many Thai's wash their hands.  Take it a step further, how many hospitals or hospital restrooms have soap or anti bacterial hand cleanser.   It's a western thing, Thai's give little or no credence to anything non-Thai, and especially "work" that is not self serving or "me centric".   Eg: my shit covered, stinky hands don't bother me, so end of discussion, full stop.

The public toilet at the RAM Hospital in Chiangmai have soap and paper tissu to dry your hand.  Some even have anti-bacterial soap on some floors. I do not know about the situation  public government hospitals.

As for some shopping Mall in Chiangmai,  they are like you describe, hand dryer inefficient or broken, no paper towel and soap dispenser broken or missing. Naturally we can not name them under actual laws. 

Thai Bashers showing their acumen ...

“If an alien came from space and studied the bacterial counts, he probably would conclude he should wash his hands in your toilet and crap in your sink,”

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2017/03/23/your-iphones-dirtier-than-toilet-and-so-these-other-everyday-items/99530570/

9 hours ago, madmen said:

What on earth has this to do with bathroom hygiene.

A bit of sugar and msg will do you no harm . 

Archived