Something disgusting I saw at Curve Mall (although it was not surprising), leaving me to question why (?)

jayjay2001

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What on earth has this to do with bathroom hygiene.

A bit of sugar and msg will do you no harm . 
A bit every day will do harm.
These days I buy pork chicken fish from Tesco and cooky myself
. No msg or a scary amount of sugar.. And I wash my hands [emoji114]

10 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Have gone to many public restrooms and found myself in a bit of a pickle...no paper...no sprayer...and a dirty butt...Now carry paper from home everywhere I go.

These same people leave the toilet and go food shopping where they handle displayed foods with unclean hands.  Yikes!

Your last paragraph , I like the baguettes in Big C , I don't know if it helps but I buy the ones in a wrapper , Thais love to touch stuff , give the bread a squeeze , 10 more come past and give the bread a squeeze , end of the day it has been reduced in price and is now flat from all those hand giving it a grope.

3 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Can you older ones remember 40yrs ago when you were a kid,...what modern hygiene facilities were there.....wooden handled bog pull chains, no anti bacterial, Izal tracing paper that slid beautifully, no soap or dispensor soap.....

....and still we survived without complications :whistling:

16 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Take it a step further, how many hospitals or hospital restrooms have soap or anti bacterial hand cleanser.   It's a western thing

Even in Burger King (yes that Western expensive thing) there's no place to wash your hands! But they don't offer you any cutlery!

So i clean my hands the Thai way, stick every finger deep in my nose before devouring them burgers.

Your last paragraph , I like the baguettes in Big C , I don't know if it helps but I buy the ones in a wrapper , Thais love to touch stuff , give the bread a squeeze , 10 more come past and give the bread a squeeze , end of the day it has been reduced in price and is now flat from all those hand giving it a grope.
Dead right. They pick up meat from the trays at Tesco with their hands and inspect it before dropping it and walking away

They need staff to slap them and they may stop one day,!

7 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Yes; especially after living in Asia for nine years !

Ummm... maybe you need to reread my original post.  The post is not about me not having soap with me; it's about the mall not having soap in it's bathrooms.

11 hours ago, madmen said:

Simple request "no sugar" failed most of the time

Just an idea , you could try to learn a few basic Thai phrases.   

No sugar is "Mai Aow Nam Tam" .

Just an idea , you could try to learn a few basic Thai phrases.   

No sugar is "Mai Aow Nam Tam" .

This is central world food court in Pattaya where they speak English. As I mentioned already the guy taking the order says " no sugar" in English to his staff. They Just brain dead

If I was in isaan then yes I would say it in thai it's not rocket science, just a few words

Welcome to the Third World! 650 million, yes, 650 million Indians defecate in the open EVERY DAY.  Do NOT expect First World hygiene standards in places like Africa, the sub-Continent or Asia.

Having said the above, I once knew someone operating a mobile fried potato chip van in the United Kingdom.  It is a "hand intensive" operation.  No toilets nearby, but he had a large bucket on the floor in which to pee in when the need arose.  Who knows what he did if the call of nature was stronger, and where he cleaned his hands afterwords.  Personal hygiene is a world-wide problem.

13 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Have gone to many public restrooms and found myself in a bit of a pickle...no paper...no sprayer...and a dirty butt...Now carry paper from home everywhere I go.

These same people leave the toilet and go food shopping where they handle displayed foods with unclean hands.  Yikes!

I was asked at a hospital to give a stool sample for analysis.  When I went to the hospital toilet, there was no paper, no soap and no way to dry my hands.  If that is how hospitals treat their patients, what are the chances that a street food vendor will expect anything different from ordinary toilets.  Then lack of hygiene simply becomes a habit.  I have seen toilets at some village schools and they were disgusting, so pupils do not learn good hygiene habits even at school.

16 minutes ago, allanos said:

Welcome to the Third World! 650 million, yes, 650 million Indians defecate in the open EVERY DAY.  Do NOT expect First World hygiene standards in places like Africa, the sub-Continent or Asia.

Having said the above, I once knew someone operating a mobile fried potato chip van in the United Kingdom.  It is a "hand intensive" operation.  No toilets nearby, but he had a large bucket on the floor in which to pee in when the need arose.  Who knows what he did if the call of nature was stronger, and where he cleaned his hands afterwords.  Personal hygiene is a world-wide problem.

The difference is of course that in the UK, if that vendor had been reported by a member of the public, or spotted by a Hygiene Inspector, he would have been closed down immediately.  Food establishments in the UK are very closely monitored for hygiene and safety standards, which many people believe to be far too draconian, as in many cases, the customers do not even have that standard at their own homes.

Many years ago in central Thailand, I observed an old man eating food at a stall with his fingers and asked why he doesn't use a spoon and fork? The reply was older people shit in the trees and clean their bum with the left hand and eat food with their right hand. I personally think we have taken hygiene too far in the west but in Thailand, they haven't taken it far enough. I remember sitting on a beach in Phuket about 15 years ago and watching the staff from a beach restaurant sitting on a towel and preparing 100s of prawns where there seemed no attention to hygiene, but we ate their many times and were fine. However, on valentines night we ate in a high-end expensive restaurant on the cliff top where the owner boasted he had worked all over Europe - we both suffered food poisoning after that meal.

21 hours ago, CanuckThai said:

Let's be honest, how many Thai's wash their hands.  Take it a step further, how many hospitals or hospital restrooms have soap or anti bacterial hand cleanser.   It's a western thing, Thai's give little or no credence to anything non-Thai, and especially "work" that is not self serving or "me centric".   Eg: my shit covered, stinky hands don't bother me, so end of discussion, full stop.

Totally normal for Somchai to walk out of a toilet stall after a major crunch,  has rubbed his arse with some water, wiped his hands on his shirt, and carries on, proud as a peacock.

Think about that the next time the extended family is foraging through the sticky rice basket, bowl of larb moo, and licking their fingers clean...

You guys are just whining, today riding pass Thapa Gate a Chinese woman had stripped her kids clothes off and laid out a piece of paper and the kid squatted and was prepared to take a dump. I flipped up my helmet and told the lady take your kid to the toliet, good luck with that one. Chinese totally backward

4 hours ago, digger70 said:

Like that restaurant worker said  we use thongs when using the toilet,,,, Same thongs he uses to handle you're Food,,,, how good is That?

Sshh ... tourists think they're getting some mysterious Oriental spice in their food.

Happens not only in Thailand. My warehouse toilet in Singapore after extensive upgrade renovation, put in nice fixtures for an enhanced experience. Soon things start disappearing. Toilet liquid soap dispenser gone, viewing the CCTV, security was indeed surprised to see people leaving the toilet with a whole large ‘industrial ‘ roll of toilet paper ! 

Problem is the pilfering came from outside people(most probably immigrant workers)  not the workers of the complex.

9 hours ago, Jaggg88 said:

Many years ago in central Thailand, I observed an old man eating food at a stall with his fingers and asked why he doesn't use a spoon and fork? The reply was older people shit in the trees and clean their bum with the left hand and eat food with their right hand. I personally think we have taken hygiene too far in the west but in Thailand, they haven't taken it far enough. I remember sitting on a beach in Phuket about 15 years ago and watching the staff from a beach restaurant sitting on a towel and preparing 100s of prawns where there seemed no attention to hygiene, but we ate their many times and were fine. However, on valentines night we ate in a high-end expensive restaurant on the cliff top where the owner boasted he had worked all over Europe - we both suffered food poisoning after that meal.

Thai food are freshly prepared as per order. Moreover the chilies and lime juices would also kill germs. Wok frying at high heat also kill germs. Food poisoning in Thailand mainly come from poorly stored cooked food. 

Archived