PM Prayut targets diesel cars, factories

webfact

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, djayz said:

Too little, too late me thinks. 

Please tell me they're not going to build a gigantic spraying device made of PVC to suspend over the city! 

"they're not going to build a gigantic spraying device made of PVC to suspend over the city! "

Haven't they considered if diesel cars and factories were the problem it would be year round, but it's seasonal instead. The problem seems to be seasonal agricultural burning, but they suspiciously are not talking about this. Why?

Prayut said that 100,000 factories were inspected !!  What !  In just a few days !  What a load of crap. Just blurting out figures. Normal Thai figures would be more accurate e.g.  998,753  and 27 were closed !  Would still be wrong though

1 hour ago, djayz said:

Too little, too late me thinks. 

Please tell me they're not going to build a gigantic spraying device made of PVC to suspend over the city! 

More likely a mobile unit to be transported to smog hot spots via a flotilla of drones. 

Has the general learned the Trump way to talk?  I have seldom believed what he says.

The lack of admittance of agri burning is evident with all the maps, but no mention as the Junta cannot do a thing about it. Bankok has been fighting pollution issues since the 60s, Old trucks, buses, factories, and other polluting engines do contribute to the pollution, but not as much as some green people would like us to believe. The sooner these old vehicles get taken off the roads, though, the better.

Geezer

7 minutes ago, canopy said:

Haven't they considered if diesel cars and factories were the problem it would be year round, but it's seasonal instead. The problem seems to be seasonal agricultural burning, but they suspiciously are not talking about this. Why?

There you go - bringing ferang logic into it -  we need Thai logic.

The upcoming erection on 24th March - don't want to alienate the gullible voters, do we?

Of course, diesel trucks and buses cause no emissions whatsoever which is why they have been missed.

I expect an announcement soon about the purchase of a herd of wild unicorns, whose farts are well known to reduce PM2.5 levels.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

He admitted that batteries for electric cars were expensive.

"Envision Energy will produce batteries for $100 per kilowatt hour by 2020, the Shanghai company's founder and CEO said at Stanford University, predicting the price will drop to $50 only five years later and end the reign of the internal-combustion engine."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jeffmcmahon/2018/12/04/chinese-company-says-it-will-soon-cross-100-battery-threshold-slay-the-internal-combustion-engine/#6709b5901740

With Thai tariffs the way they are, batteries will have to be even lower, but it might happen sooner than later according to the article.  Under $100 per KW is said to render the internal combustion engine uncompetitive. 

f72fc862424fa9afd25d560c949c1703.jpeg&ke

May want to start looking at converting these now.  It just takes a lot of patience.

12 minutes ago, jaiyen said:

Prayut said that 100,000 factories were inspected !!  What !  In just a few days !  What a load of crap. Just blurting out figures. Normal Thai figures would be more accurate e.g.  998,753  and 27 were closed !  Would still be wrong though

You know how it works with 'politicians' of his ilk - if you throw enough shit, some of it will stick: Don't underestimate the gullibility of your electorate,

A proper Ministry of Transport Test annually for Motor Vehicles would wipe about 50% of the vehicles here off the roads but it won't happen, talking is much cheaper and causes no ripples with the Natives.

For years they have been promoting the building and sale of Gigantic Gas Guzzling Diesel Pick-Up Trucks and even lowered the price of Diesel to 'help' the owners, whilst other countries in the region, notably Taiwan, have been discouraging the purchase and use of them.  Thailand will be the last country on the Planet to do away with Diesel powered vehicles (along with Twin Tub Washing Machines ) ! 

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Up to 50 per cent of the very fine particulate matter smaller than 2.5 microns, or PM2.5, was from the traffic and transport sector, said General Prayut. Stakeholders must choose measures to reduce that to 35 per cent of PM2.5 particulates, he said.

traffic and transport sector is emitting all year over - but the smog comes during the months when they are burning the fields

3 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

A proper Ministry of Transport Test annually for Motor Vehicles would wipe about 50% of the vehicles here off the roads but it won't happen, talking is much cheaper and causes no ripples with the Natives.

I've got a proper MOT certificate here: Guy looked at my vehicle and immediately wrote out the test certificate. That's correct isn't it?

Can anybody give me a link to the Science of the Diesel issue please.

... or is everybody just repeating what they hear on TV ???

BTW: 

15 Cruise liners have roughly the same emissions as 70 MILLION Diesel cars ... anybody want to shut them down ???

2 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

can someone tell me of 1 person...just 1...who has a diesel car and has decided not to drive it into the city. I seriously doubt people will stop driving their diesel cars.

If you could give me just one reason why I would do so ? [one that is actually based on evidence]
Just because everybody "says so" is just not good enough for me !!!

17 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

can someone tell me of 1 person...just 1...who has a diesel car and has decided not to drive it into the city. I seriously doubt people will stop driving their diesel cars.

I drive my diesel SUV to the nearest BTS station with parking and conduct as much city travel as practical by train. But I've always done this so I've not actually stopped driving into town, I just never have.

Of course it's nothing to do with pollution, I don't like sitting in traffic and hunting for somewhere to park.

1 hour ago, Lungstib said:

Chiang Mai and other up-country cities are even more affected by diesel emissions than Bangkok. A large percentage of vehicles in these places are pick-ups and I see little hope that their owners are going to agree to 'give them up' any time soon. This would be tantamount to war.

Modified pick-ups. I also used to think they were old and unmaintained. Not so, they are modified to increase power, noise and produce the thick black smoke billowing out the back that the locals are so fond of. Same as the honda wave motorcycle bad boy, noise boy club. 

48 minutes ago, ebean001 said:

My neighbour does that, he always used his fortuner but lately he brings his grandkid to school in his daughters car.

Another neighbour started using skytrain instead of his diesel-sport-suv....but it takes him far too long and is too inconvenient so now he sits in the truck 3 hours a day.

12 minutes ago, PumpkinEater said:

BURNING OF THE FIELDS IS OF THE PROBLEM!!!!!

As a pilot I see hundreds of fires.

The Government needs to buy 100 tractors and 100 plows and go across the country (Ban the burning forever) to help the farmers (plow the fields).

They just bought new tanks from China, maybe they can also plow?

5 hours ago, webfact said:

BANNING the use of diesel vehicles, promoting the use of electric cars, and suspending the operations of polluting factories were among the measures to tackle Bangkok’s dangerous air pollution that were considered by the Cabinet yesterday.

All great initiatives and very effective...in the long run. I'm talking 20 years maybe. Some things need to be done now. Get new busses with alternative fuel engines, restrict diesel trucks to specified areas in the city and do something about cars and motorbikes that spew smoke as they drive along by having smog testing tied to reregistering vehicles.

Banning diesel vehicles is NOT going to happen. Show me a company that is willing to get rid of an entire fleet of diesel trucks; unless you force then to do it. More efficient diesel engines is a reality, short term.

Electric cars are all the rave but still not practical. They are expensive and you can't just jump in your electric car at the last minute, hit the road and charge up along the way. You need to wait for the car to charge. In some cases that takes an hour. Not even in California where Tesla is made and there is a good recharging grid can you do it. Most parking lots might have at most four charging stations out of 200-300 spaces. It is taking years to build the infrastructure.

How about instead of sticking a building in every open lot create green spaces.

Archived