Jump to content
BANGKOK 18 July 2019 14:19
webfact

Chonburi: Man killed after being electrocuted ‘charging phone while using earphones to listen to music’

Recommended Posts

Damn, I fall to sleep every night watching youtube on my tablet while it's charging. I hope my relatively expensive surge protector with usb outlets built in will spare my life.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The way to be safe is to have an RCD (or current sensing, Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker) fitted to the switchboard, for all outlets.

It will detect a small leakage current, if a faulty charger bleeds voltage from the 240 volt side to the 5 volt side, and trip.

Also washing machines, fridges or microwave appliances with only 2 pins, that are tingly.

Cost about 500฿ and will give you safety and security from electrical faults that could cause electrocution.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Instead of warning of cheap chargers, police could do their work, storm the places selling them, confiscate and destroy the stuff that doesn't meet safety standards and throw sellers and importers behind bars. Would that be too much to expect?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sammieuk1 said:

Not so grasshopper on inspection the live and neutral were in contact where the cable joins the molded plug causing a dead short and no trip and the insulator to catch fire🤔 

The extra layer of protection back in the west are plugs with fuses, Thai have adopted a 2 pin system (same as USA) on a 220v feed, the significant difference is that in the US they are 110v for general appliances, earthing is a bit more complex in High Condo buildings as it is a challenge to get any sort of earth potential on high floors

 

In the OP the charger seems to have failed exposing the user to the mains - although it is not clear exactly how that happened as the earplugs are isolated - there may have been an exposed wire or something, also the fact he was on the bed and isolated from the floor makes this a greater mystery - almost unbelievable if I was to be honest 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Arjen said:

A shortcut between live and neutral will not have a RCD tripped. A normall should CB should open...... I am wondering why this did not happened?

The smallest breaker in my DP is 20 amps, I doubt the fault current would get that high in the thin wires of a  mobile headset. 

Sockets and plugs are not usually fused.

Edited by jacko45k
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, fisherd3 said:

I just bought a condo cannot see an earth wire anywhere in the room or any consumer service panel many of whch are falling to bits with access, anywhere in the building.

Thai electricians believe the laws of physics do not apply in Thailand.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The smallest breaker in my DP is 20 amps, I doubt the fault current would get that high in the thin wires of a  mobile headset. 

Sockets and plugs are not usually fused.

When the current is high enough to make the wire catch fire, I think the current is way above 20A. time for an expert...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Arjen said:

When the current is high enough to make the wire catch fire, I think the current is way above 20A. time for an expert...

 

Not true.....never seen an electric fire?

Edited by jacko45k

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

The smallest breaker in my DP is 20 amps, I doubt the fault current would get that high in the thin wires of a  mobile headset. 

Those are generally to avoid fires in buildings not for electrical safety

 

Like I said above - earths need to built into tall buildings and if any appliance is 2 pin it might actually increase the risk of electrocution, if you want to go this route then all your appliances need earth connections (3 pin) and the DB needs to also be equipped with earth leakage detection, the whole Thai system in on the cheap - no surprise there - safety costs money 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those 2 pin plugs are often a really loose fit into the socket - anything slightly heavy (such as using an adapter) seems to just languidly hang there, defying gravity and leaving the conductors exposed. My new house is having 3 pins throughout, they are generally a tighter fit.

Now what do I do about all my 2 pin appliances?!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Not true.....never seen an electric fire?

20amps protects the main feeds from short circuit - individual appliances should be fused appropriately - oh wait TIT - no such thing exists

 

If you wanted extra safety you could add protection to each outlet in your home or at least ones that are deemed risky

Edited by smedly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Mukdahanman said:

My new house is having 3 pins throughout, they are generally a tighter fit.

Now what do I do about all my 2 pin appliances?!!

Well if the sockets have a mechanical interlock whereby you cannot plug them in without an earth pin you will be changing all the plugs. Likely there won't be a wire to connect the earth pin to either!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Mukdahanman said:

Those 2 pin plugs are often a really loose fit into the socket - anything slightly heavy (such as using an adapter) seems to just languidly hang there, defying gravity and leaving the conductors exposed. My new house is having 3 pins throughout, they are generally a tighter fit.

Now what do I do about all my 2 pin appliances?!!

if you have 3 pin earth based system and the correct leakage trips fitted you will have a good system that is reasonably safe, if you have 3 wire appliances such as toasters etc then fit a plug that uses the earth

Edited by smedly
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, smedly said:

If you wanted extra safety you could add protection to each outlet in your home or at least ones that are deemed risky

I have taken to installing extension blocks with individual breakers at each outlet but it is far from satisfactory or compliant. I have some DP breakers at 35 amps and there are lighting circuits wired to them. It really is awful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...