Jump to content
BANGKOK 20 March 2019 04:30
webfact

Chonburi: Man killed after being electrocuted ‘charging phone while using earphones to listen to music’

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

If you wanted extra safety you could add protection to each outlet in your home or at least ones that are deemed risky

I have taken to installing extension blocks with individual breakers at each outlet but it is far from satisfactory or compliant. I have some DP breakers at 35 amps and there are lighting circuits wired to them. It really is awful!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Handy advice, thanks.

There will be an earthing system with RCD and MCBs, but as others have said, not sure how effective it’ll be .....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have taken to installing extension blocks with individual breakers at each outlet but it is far from satisfactory or compliant. I have some DP breakers at 35 amps and there are lighting circuits wired to them. It really is awful!

yep that sounds dangerous - in the west low current circuits such as lighting are connected to their own breaker of appropriate weight for the wiring - 5 amp would be reasonable

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The boy did not die just because of a faulty charger. He probably touched some metal at the same time he was elecrocuted. Not the first time, it was in the news here around 2 years ago, similar accident.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I recently bought this cheap USB cable from AliExpress that I use to recharge my Xiaomi phone.

 

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bE0yOCtb

 

In fact, I'm using it now while typing this message. Will it kill me? How can I be sure a more expensive one will be any better? Isn't that the fallacy of price as an indicator of quality?

Edited by edwardandtubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I recently bought this cheap USB cable from AliExpress that I use to recharge my Xiaomi phone.

 

It might depend more on the charger or laptop you plug the other end into. Think what is between you and the mains power is the key. If you plug the large USB into a good quality device I expect everything will be good. Although, don't use the phone while charging and stick your tongue in a bucket of water (metal bucket). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...