BANGKOK 20 March 2019 04:30
webfact

Chonburi: Man killed after being electrocuted ‘charging phone while using earphones to listen to music’

2 minutes ago, smedly said:

If you wanted extra safety you could add protection to each outlet in your home or at least ones that are deemed risky

I have taken to installing extension blocks with individual breakers at each outlet but it is far from satisfactory or compliant. I have some DP breakers at 35 amps and there are lighting circuits wired to them. It really is awful!

Handy advice, thanks.

There will be an earthing system with RCD and MCBs, but as others have said, not sure how effective it’ll be .....

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I have taken to installing extension blocks with individual breakers at each outlet but it is far from satisfactory or compliant. I have some DP breakers at 35 amps and there are lighting circuits wired to them. It really is awful!

yep that sounds dangerous - in the west low current circuits such as lighting are connected to their own breaker of appropriate weight for the wiring - 5 amp would be reasonable

• Like 2

The boy did not die just because of a faulty charger. He probably touched some metal at the same time he was elecrocuted. Not the first time, it was in the news here around 2 years ago, similar accident.

I recently bought this cheap USB cable from AliExpress that I use to recharge my Xiaomi phone.

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/bE0yOCtb

In fact, I'm using it now while typing this message. Will it kill me? How can I be sure a more expensive one will be any better? Isn't that the fallacy of price as an indicator of quality?

Edited by edwardandtubs

5 hours ago, edwardandtubs said:

I recently bought this cheap USB cable from AliExpress that I use to recharge my Xiaomi phone.

It might depend more on the charger or laptop you plug the other end into. Think what is between you and the mains power is the key. If you plug the large USB into a good quality device I expect everything will be good. Although, don't use the phone while charging and stick your tongue in a bucket of water (metal bucket).