Pope says he is committed to stopping sexual abuse of nuns

webfact

37 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

Actually if you want the worst pope ever it was Pope John Paul 2 (or should I write St. John Paul 2 since he's apparently being promoted to sainthood) who turned a very big blind eye on all these abuses. He protected a monster called Marsial Marciel who just happened to be bringing in very big bucks to the church.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcial_Maciel

Maybe the Church should make Pope John Paul 2 the patron saint of sexual abusers? It's not like that's a stretch. After all, he was their protector when he was alive.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"We have been working on this for a long time. We have suspended some priests because of this," he said, adding that the Vatican was in the process of shutting down a female religious order because of sexual abuse and corruption."

"Francis said former Pope Benedict dissolved a religious order of women shortly after his election as pontiff in 2005 "because slavery had become part of it (the religious order), even sexual slavery on the part of priests and the founder"."

I'm a bit confused by the above.

He decided to dissolve a female religious order because "slavery had become part of it, even sexual slavery on the part of priests and the founder"?  Whilst also saying "We have suspended some priests because of this."! ????

2 hours ago, bristolboy said:

It's been a constant theme of the arch-conservatives in the church that this sexual abuse is all the fault of gay priests who should never have been admitted to the priesthood in the first place. Maybe heterosexuals should also be excluded?

No according to them it is the fault of the laity who weakened the church and their faith by disagreeing with birth control. That started the rot. Weakness spread to the priesthood, lowering standards, gay priests recruited more gay priests which meant more paedos etc etc.

At least that is what one said in a sermon I saw on video.

So left-footers you only have yourselves to blame. Apparently.

5 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Is there any evidence available that we can watch?

Try "The Devils" directed by Ken Russel and starring Oliver Reed. Dealt with exactly this subject. Very controversial at the time.

If you can find an uncensored version, I'm sure that it will give you the "evidence" you're looking for.

1 hour ago, dick dasterdly said:

"We have been working on this for a long time. We have suspended some priests because of this," he said, adding that the Vatican was in the process of shutting down a female religious order because of sexual abuse and corruption."

"Francis said former Pope Benedict dissolved a religious order of women shortly after his election as pontiff in 2005 "because slavery had become part of it (the religious order), even sexual slavery on the part of priests and the founder"."

I'm a bit confused by the above.

He decided to dissolve a female religious order because "slavery had become part of it, even sexual slavery on the part of priests and the founder"?  Whilst also saying "We have suspended some priests because of this."! ????

Obviously he will stop at nothing to get to the bottom of this.

1 minute ago, rott said:

Obviously he will stop at nothing to get to the bottom of this.

Lets just hope that the truth never comes out about what Jesus did to Mary Magdalene. The Catholic Church really would be buggered then.

6 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Hoax? I hope you change your way of thinking else it'll be changed for you on judgment day sir.

Has God told you this, or have you worked it out for yourself? People have been predicting judgment day for quite a few centuries now.

Or do you accept the Koran's teaching that all non-Muslims will burn in hell? Looks like you'll be in the same boat, brother.

6 hours ago, Lupatria said:

He will survive the judgement. It is told he can walk on water, turn water to wine, and heal the crippled with one bare hand. He is also the only one who witnessed when an old man with a white beard created the world 20.000 years ago.

My 11 year old son brought a booklet in Thai home from school about Jesus, included was a shortened version of Genesis, so I started reading it with him, it made me blush with shame to think That as a child I actually believed all this, it sounded even more infantile in Thai than in English, after reading two pages I told him to throw it away.

6 hours ago, bristolboy said:

It's been a constant theme of the arch-conservatives in the church that this sexual abuse is all the fault of gay priests who should never have been admitted to the priesthood in the first place. Maybe heterosexuals should also be excluded?

This is absolute BS. Any clinical psychologist worth his/her salt will tell you when you suppress natural human instincts by a mechanism such as celibacy, it is statistically inevitable a certain percentage of the population will deviate from the norm. Gay has nothing to do with it.

10 hours ago, Credo said:

I think it is a little more complicated that enforced celibacy.   I think celibacy is part of it, but it has provided cover for gays and also for pedophiles.   It's apparent that nuns weren't safe either.   

People who are sexually marginalized have found safety in joining the priesthood.   It worked fairly well for them as long as everyone kept their mouth shut, but those days seem to be over.

Refer post 50, please.

11 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Has God told you this, or have you worked it out for yourself? People have been predicting judgment day for quite a few centuries now.

Or do you accept the Koran's teaching that all non-Muslims will burn in hell? Looks like you'll be in the same boat, brother.

Judgement Day will happen when it happens. Still time for you to prepare "brother".

15 hours ago, seahorse said:

Suspension of sexual predators is not enough. They should be criminally prosecuted. 

Put them all on a remote deserted island and let them have at each other and not the innocent. Then every two months have someone go out and toss the carcasses into the water to feed the sharks and bring in a new load of them. 

13 hours ago, soalbundy said:

My 11 year old son brought a booklet in Thai home from school about Jesus, included was a shortened version of Genesis, so I started reading it with him, it made me blush with shame to think That as a child I actually believed all this, it sounded even more infantile in Thai than in English, after reading two pages I told him to throw it away.

As the saying goes.... "with age comes wisdom". Apparently not so in your case.

8 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

Judgement Day will happen when it happens. Still time for you to prepare "brother".

That is what you want to believe. However, you don't believe in Zeus, Krishna or Buddha. They are gods too. Who's to say one of those is the right path, and yours is wrong?

Personally, I believe religious adherents are brainwashed in childhood. Which is, when you think about it, legally-sanctioned child abuse.

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

That is what you want to believe. However, you don't believe in Zeus, Krishna or Buddha. They are gods too. Who's to say one of those is the right path, and yours is wrong?

Personally, I believe religious adherents are brainwashed in childhood. If, when you think about it, is legally-sanctioned child abuse.

Personally, I believe religious adherents are brainwashed in childhood. If, when you think about it, is legally-sanctioned child abuse.

"However, you don't believe in Zeus, Krishna or Buddha. They are gods too."..... no they aren't. 

Buddha is no god, as Jesus and Mohammed. 

Buddha means awaken/enlightened one, and Bodhi, and are reckoned as a human, not a god. 

2 minutes ago, HuskerDo said:

"However, you don't believe in Zeus, Krishna or Buddha. They are gods too."..... no they aren't. 

Zeus and Krishna is gods among those who come from cultures who believe in those religions. In another place or in an another time, that would have been your gods to. 

5 hours ago, HuskerDo said:

As the saying goes.... "with age comes wisdom". Apparently not so in your case.

This form of argument is as old as Christianity itself. It's one of the dishonest forms of debate, attacking the person instead of their statement. It's called argument ad hominem.

As a believer, you wouldn't want to be dishonest, would you?

Archived