I Spent 6 Months In A Thai Prison For Shoplifting. Here’s How It Changed My Life

webfact

I Spent 6 Months In A Thai Prison For Shoplifting. Here’s How It Changed My Life

Emilia Semrau

Guest Writer

5c532ba13b00007202689541.jpg

COURTESY OF EMILIA SEMRAU

This name card was given to Emilia Semrau when she arrived at the prison in Mae Hong Son, Thailand. During her incarceration she placed the card on top of her bedding each morning to reserve her sleeping spot. The card states her crime (theft), her age (25) and the length of her sentence (6 months). 

I left my home in Olympia, Washington, in January 2018 to undertake a two-year global journey I hoped would help me to discover more about the world and, subsequently, myself. I had just divorced a wonderful man ― and the equally wonderful life that came with him ― after being married for six years.

I left everything I knew ― and anything I couldn’t fit into a 60-liter backpack ― because I realized my true path was to travel by myself and share my knowledge of yoga and holistic health. I booked a ticket to my first destination, Thailand, and as I flew towards my new life, I was full of faith in the unknown and I trusted that I was honoring my true path. Little did I know that one unwise decision would radically change my perspective on everything I thought I knew about myself and who I am.

It was 2:00 in the afternoon on a Friday during the first week of my adventure and I was in Pai, a bustling hippie tourist hub located in northern Thailand. I entered a shop I hadn’t noticed before during my four days in town. Its doorway was covered with a vibrant silk cloth and its interior revealed shelves stacked with handmade jewelry and leather goods. The displays were beautiful and obviously tended to with great care.

Full story: https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/thai-prison-shoplifting_us_5c51e314e4b0ca92c6dc9c81

-- HUFFINGTON POST 2019-02-06

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, webfact said:

I realized my true path was to travel by myself and share my knowledge of yoga and holistic health.

And larceny.

At least she admitted stealing the item and did not come out with some claptrap about how she did not realise she'd absent mindedly put it in her bag.

Mind you she probably knew the Thais wouldn't stand for the old guff she might get away with in our countries.

Good girls in, bad girls out.

There's a Temple near us teaches Vipissana meditation. Apparently it's worse than a prison sentance.

I'm sure this young lady learned some valuable life lessons.

If not, she could always open a massage parlour.

53 minutes ago, webfact said:

Little did I know that one unwise decision would radically change my perspective on everything I thought I knew about myself and who I am.

Who in the world believes a shoplifter got caught and jailed for their first offence?

Most get caught after tens if not hundreds of thefts.

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Who in the world believes a shoplifter got caught and jailed for their first offence?

Most get caught after tens if not hundreds of thefts.

To be fair, she does admit to stealing through most of her childhood and adult life - as a kid from apparent necessity and as an adult just because she liked stealing makeup from Walmart. I just see this as karma catching up with her when she did it in a different country who doesn't tolerate her shit as much. 

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

They frown upon petty crime in Thailand especially with a Farang, do your time bitch

She's done it already and is back in the USA.

In the UK police won't attend a shoplifting case unless it involves goods over £200. Apparently there are now shoplifting gangs stealing just under the threshold. If caught they can, like a speeding offence, opt to not appear in court and plead guilty by completing a form. Just how they get caught and prosecuted if the police don't attend, I'm not sure. Read it in the Daily Telegraph the other day.

Archived