I Spent 6 Months In A Thai Prison For Shoplifting. Here’s How It Changed My Life

webfact

1 hour ago, aircooledflat4 said:

Why didn’t she just pay for the item when accosted, tell the bloke yeah I was just bringing it to the counter in my bag, I’m intending to purchase it. Surely the whole thing could have been resolved as a misunderstanding, being a foreigner especially. She doesn’t sound like the full quid to me.

Married at 18, divorced at 24 = trailer trash.

• Like 1

Not much to do with this story really but I will share this ..

Many years ago I was food shopping in my local supermarket.  In England. Nearing completion of my shop I was mentally ticking off my shopping list and realised that one item (cant remember what) was not in my supermarket basket ... but I was convinced I had picked it up. Thus I was confused.

Eventually I found it .. I had accidently put it in my personal bag. Completely freaked me out. If a store detective had seen me do it and I had not realised ... jeez .. 

I imagined being detained in front of locals as I left .. court .. local newspaper .. criminal record.  Humiliation .. in eyes of neighbours and work colleagues. They always prosecuted shoplifters in them days.

Who would believe me .. "I accidently put in my bag and accidently not pay" your honour.

30 plus years later I still will never ever take my own shopping bag or even wear a coat into a shop however cold or wet the weather is. (Its left in car).

I am conscious of the menace of plastic bags but still cant buy and carry a reuseable bag for life. I still not want any bag as I shop.

Ok weird of me .. I admit. 

• Like 1

Looks genuine to me so probably happened , just surprised she got 6 months in jail for stealing a handmade souvenir. 

When you can get away with a wai and 500 baht for trying to kill someone. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Interesting read. I am inspired to follow in her footsteps.

Tomorrow I will try to steal a box of wine from Makro.

If I get caught it could lead to me discovering my true inner self and will lead to new and as yet untried sexual experiences.

If I don't get caught I'll have enough ersatz wine to get pissed for 5 days.

A win win scenario.

Freakin' hilarious.  Good one.

She claims to have spent six months in Mae Hong Son prison .
Can anyone confirm that they have a facility for Females in MHS prison ?
A 6000 Baht bag in a small shop in Pai hhhmmmmmm
The case wasnt reported by the media .
No news of it anywhere .
Sin months jail for a first offence ?
A 250 000 Baht go fund me campaign , which received 90 000 Baht .
A young lady who just started her World trip and by the sounds of it , was underfunded and a few days into her trip , started a big money gofundme campaign 
HHHmmmmm
It could all be a big scam . She posted a picture of a prison cell and a blanket , no pictures of herself inside the prison.
  • Like 1

It's a good story.

Prison is punishment, I'm totally on board with that

What I always struggle with, is whether prison, especially a Thai prison, is not  simply a High School to learn new skills.

We collectively went in a retributive phase from the 1990's, filling up prisons, and hence teaching a whole generation a vast range  new criminal skills.

Interesting topic, not one I have any answers to

"She reached out to my ex-husband, who contacted the U.S. consulate and did all he possibly could to get me out of Thailand. But he was unable to help in any way besides staying in contact with the consulate and keeping my friends and family updated about my well-being."

If I had been her ex, I would merely have replied with 2 words, the second of which was "off".

• Haha 1

On 2/6/2019 at 12:46 PM, Pdavies99 said:

Hmm!!  I'm not sure i believe this?  6 months for petty theft, I think the police and shopkeeper would have got her to pay and kicked her out of Thailand. More to this story than what's stated, even if true.

I caught a guy entering my house on my CCTV. He also got 6 months I was told. Not in prison but with the monks.Because he was only 16. I was not  the best friend of his family at that moment but they actually thanked me after. My house has never been safer than after that

On 2/6/2019 at 9:10 AM, ChipButty said:

They frown upon petty crime in Thailand especially with a Farang, do your time bitch

She admitted recommitting the crime and she has done her time. No need to call her a bitch. We have all made mistakes and done stupid things in our younger days - maybe not shoplifting, but we've all crossed the line sometime. 

I've noticed over the years that it's always the people who act so upset by such acts and show such contempt for those who have tripped up along the way or proclaim how they're innocent of such folly are the ones who have the most skeletons to hide.

Get off your high horse!  

On 2/6/2019 at 8:35 PM, Denim said:

Interesting read. I am inspired to follow in her footsteps.

Tomorrow I will try to steal a box of wine from Makro.

If I get caught it could lead to me discovering my true inner self and will lead to new and as yet untried sexual experiences.

If I don't get caught I'll have enough ersatz wine to get pissed for 5 days.

A win win scenario.

And learn how to sew