I Spent 6 Months In A Thai Prison For Shoplifting. Here’s How It Changed My Life

webfact

1 hour ago, aircooledflat4 said:

Why didn’t she just pay for the item when accosted, tell the bloke yeah I was just bringing it to the counter in my bag, I’m intending to purchase it. Surely the whole thing could have been resolved as a misunderstanding, being a foreigner especially. She doesn’t sound like the full quid to me.

Married at 18, divorced at 24 = trailer trash.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not much to do with this story really but I will share this ..

Many years ago I was food shopping in my local supermarket.  In England. Nearing completion of my shop I was mentally ticking off my shopping list and realised that one item (cant remember what) was not in my supermarket basket ... but I was convinced I had picked it up. Thus I was confused.

Eventually I found it .. I had accidently put it in my personal bag. Completely freaked me out. If a store detective had seen me do it and I had not realised ... jeez .. 

I imagined being detained in front of locals as I left .. court .. local newspaper .. criminal record.  Humiliation .. in eyes of neighbours and work colleagues. They always prosecuted shoplifters in them days.

Who would believe me .. "I accidently put in my bag and accidently not pay" your honour.

30 plus years later I still will never ever take my own shopping bag or even wear a coat into a shop however cold or wet the weather is. (Its left in car).

I am conscious of the menace of plastic bags but still cant buy and carry a reuseable bag for life. I still not want any bag as I shop.

Ok weird of me .. I admit. 

11 hours ago, ChipButty said:

They frown upon petty crime in Thailand especially with a Farang, do your time bitch

Did you read the link with her more complete story?

She's done a lot of introspection and concluded the experience was an overall positive  one.

She doesn't sound to me like a person who should be called a "bitch".

Interesting read. I am inspired to follow in her footsteps.

Tomorrow I will try to steal a box of wine from Makro.

If I get caught it could lead to me discovering my true inner self and will lead to new and as yet untried sexual experiences.

If I don't get caught I'll have enough ersatz wine to get pissed for 5 days.

A win win scenario.

Looks genuine to me so probably happened , just surprised she got 6 months in jail for stealing a handmade souvenir. 

When you can get away with a wai and 500 baht for trying to kill someone. 

She claims to have spent six months in Mae Hong Son prison .

Can anyone confirm that they have a facility for Females in MHS prison ?

A 6000 Baht bag in a small shop in Pai hhhmmmmmm

The case wasnt reported by the media .

No news of it anywhere .

Sin months jail for a first offence ?

A 250 000 Baht go fund me campaign , which received 90 000 Baht .

A young lady who just started her World trip and by the sounds of it , was underfunded and a few days into her trip , started a big money gofundme campaign 

HHHmmmmm

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Interesting read. I am inspired to follow in her footsteps.

Tomorrow I will try to steal a box of wine from Makro.

If I get caught it could lead to me discovering my true inner self and will lead to new and as yet untried sexual experiences.

If I don't get caught I'll have enough ersatz wine to get pissed for 5 days.

A win win scenario.

Freakin' hilarious.  Good one.

She claims to have spent six months in Mae Hong Son prison .
Can anyone confirm that they have a facility for Females in MHS prison ?
A 6000 Baht bag in a small shop in Pai hhhmmmmmm
The case wasnt reported by the media .
No news of it anywhere .
Sin months jail for a first offence ?
A 250 000 Baht go fund me campaign , which received 90 000 Baht .
A young lady who just started her World trip and by the sounds of it , was underfunded and a few days into her trip , started a big money gofundme campaign 
HHHmmmmm
It could all be a big scam . She posted a picture of a prison cell and a blanket , no pictures of herself inside the prison.

It's a good story.

Prison is punishment, I'm totally on board with that

What I always struggle with, is whether prison, especially a Thai prison, is not  simply a High School to learn new skills.

We collectively went in a retributive phase from the 1990's, filling up prisons, and hence teaching a whole generation a vast range  new criminal skills.

Interesting topic, not one I have any answers to

Archived