New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

1 minute ago, Kasset Tak said:

Well, as usual with all these changes much of it comes back to all the people abusing the system! I have friends that complains that they can't get their visa extensions as they don't have the savings, don't have enough income and now they can't get agents to forge/fake bank accounts for them... it's thanks to this kind of people and all these Indians with just "paper" marriages that these new rules have come in place (at least according to my Thai drinking buddy who is immigration office).
It's the same as it was with people on ED extensions, people used to get a year extension but because too many abused the system, even those who were legit students got affected by the changes. And again now we have the blacklisting for overstaying your visa... in the past it wasn't a big deal so some people were abusing that too (we have all read the stories of people leaving with 20 year overstay...) and that made them put the blacklisting in effect.

So, don't blame the government for changing the system, blame all the people who have been abusing the system and by doing that forced the government to change the system!

I agree. This is perhaps what they mean by "good people in, bad people out". The trouble is that perhaps they are using a rather blunt instrument to determine who is "good or bad". 

Maybe I have a trusting face, (or more likely look like a simpleton!) but in the last couple of years at least three people have asked me how to "game the system" to get a visa. Including one young man, in the queue at Savannakhet, who asked me if I could suggest what to say to get a multi entry non O on the strength of having a Thai girlfriend! He rather hoped that I could speak for him (fat lot of good that would do!) on the grounds that we both came from the same neck of the woods in the UK! 

I do feel sorry for some of the older chaps who are living here harmlessly and quietly, enjoying the sun on their backs as it were, and now feel threatened. 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

Well, as usual with all these changes much of it comes back to all the people abusing the system! I have friends that complains that they can't get their visa extensions as they don't have the savings, don't have enough income and now they can't get agents to forge/fake bank accounts for them... it's thanks to this kind of people and all these Indians with just "paper" marriages that these new rules have come in place (at least according to my Thai drinking buddy who is immigration office).
It's the same as it was with people on ED extensions, people used to get a year extension but because too many abused the system, even those who were legit students got affected by the changes. And again now we have the blacklisting for overstaying your visa... in the past it wasn't a big deal so some people were abusing that too (we have all read the stories of people leaving with 20 year overstay...) and that made them put the blacklisting in effect.

So, don't blame the government for changing the system, blame all the people who have been abusing the system and by doing that forced the government to change the system!

you just being brainwashed by the junta media, reducing numbers is what is happening, pension letters and keeping 400k doesnt stop fake id's by chinese or fake marriages, just enjoy your starbucks reading the nation, bkk post

this land needs to breathe and push this oppression into jail

heres to change a regime of oppression to a regime of permission

10 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

The ignorance of folk on here about the new rules and then commenting is staggering !

Let’s make it clear “the 65k a month retirement extension will no longer be an option “ you all got that ????

What's your goal in publishing such FALSE information ?? :blink:

Of course the 65k/month is still an option!

3 minutes ago, humbug said:

you just being brainwashed by the junta media, reducing numbers is what is happening, pension letters and keeping 400k doesnt stop fake id's by chinese or fake marriages, just enjoy your starbucks reading the nation, bkk post

this land needs to breathe and push this oppression into jail

heres to change a regime of oppression to a regime of permission

Oh Hello! Here comes the Thaksinistas riding in to hijack the thread.

post 9, small changes my ass, you now have to have 800,000 in the bank for 6 months now, (not 3)and must keep 400,000 in the account they cannot touch for ever , so how can this be *small changes* as you say, its a HUGE CHANGE, in everyones case they have to have the 800,000 for 6 months and  they also have to have 6 months living expenses, (like you will need) if you live here that is,? very costly indeed, in my case about 1-3 million baht. its another country for me.

27 minutes ago, SkyNets said:

Shame my home country's immigration rules aren't this strict, I would of stayed. 

6 minutes ago, stanleycoin said:

Visionary. :cheesy:  :sorry:

460624.jpg

Well now the two of you can enjoy retirement in the UK Midlands Black Country when your current Thai visas have run out.

17 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

The ignorance of folk on here about the new rules and then commenting is staggering ! Let’s make it clear “the 65k a month retirement extension will no longer be an option “ you all got that ????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

https://www.immigration.go.th/read?content_id=5c515d0a753d2c5d3589c929 ????

11 minutes ago, mercman24 said:

post 9, small changes my ass, you now have to have 800,000 in the bank for 6 months now, (not 3)and must keep 400,000 in the account they cannot touch for ever , so how can this be *small changes* as you say, its a HUGE CHANGE, in everyones case they have to have the 800,000 for 6 months and  they also have to have 6 months living expenses, (like you will need) if you live here that is,? very costly indeed, in my case about 1-3 million baht. its another country for me.

Actually only 5 months, 2 before and 3 after. Also these rules do not come into effect until 01 March.

37 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

Why must this be explained again and again.

The 'system' is corrupted by the very people who run it. There would be no corruption, trying to cheat the system, if the opportunities were not there. What part of that do you not get?

If IO's don't accept bribe money, then there are no options to garner the system. Don't you see that?

They are punishing people who have never tried to 'cheat' the system or they are punishing people who used agents to cheat the system that they, the IO's are taking bribes for. Why can't you see that?

This is a problem created by 'Them' NOT the foreigners who reside here. 

33 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

The ignorance of folk on here about the new rules and then commenting is staggering ! Let’s make it clear “the 65k a month retirement extension will no longer be an option “ you all got that ????

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Read #3 - if you can comprehend simple English.

(1) Must have been granted a non-immigrant visa (Non-Im)

(2) Must be 50 years of age or over

(3)  Must have evidence of having income of no less than THB 65,000 or;

(4) At least 2 months prior to filing date, and at least 3 months after being granted permission, the alien must have fund deposited in a bank in Thailand of no less than THB 800,000. The alien can withdraw the fund 3 months after being granted permission and the remaining balance must be no less than THB 400,00 or;

(5) Must have and annual earning and fund deposited with a commercial bank in Thailand totalling of no less than THB 800,000 until the filing date. The said fund must remain in the account prior to and after the permission is granted and the alien can make a withdrawal under the same conditions as stated in (4).

He can't complain, he's had a more than average innings. If he doesn't have family/friends here that he can borrow 15k to get a visa through an agent, then he really shouldn't be here as he must have gone delally.

51 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Everyone seems to be focusing on the 800k, and ignoring Rule #3, of having an income of 65k a month, OR  the 800k in the bank.  To me, if you can't show an income of 65k a month, you shouldn't be living here in the first place.  I know an American here in Chiang Mai who has been lying about his income for 10 years.  It's actually only about 35k a month.  Now he frantically trying to change his Retirement Visa to a Marriage Visa, which allows for a combined income of husband and wife.  He's a nice guy, and I wish him luck as, according to him, he has nothing to go back to in the States. 

there is no combination on marry visa,

but is income alone valid on marry visa ?

Anybody ever considered the 400 K maybe in lieu of trying to enforce compulsory heath insurance? In which case it would actually be a damn good idea as far as the Thai's are concerned.

I dont get why the huge backlash, the Thais want a certain "immigrant" standard. We have known this for a couple of years and the hoops required for the bigger visas (OX) are so big, the writing was on the wall that extensions of stay MUST become more difficult to obtain in order for the Thais to achieve the immigration standard they want. 

Seems half of europe, US and Aus (and lest be frank 90% of the posters here are from those areas) is touting heavier immigration controls for their own countries - so why not the Thais?

50 minutes ago, Kasset Tak said:

It was government employees, profiteering and abusing there position, who rubber stamped the extensions. so who was the bad guys !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

The usual Thai pantomime,  It's behind you.  Oh no it's not,   and so on. :coffee1:

47 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Everyone seems to be focusing on the 800k, and ignoring Rule #3, of having an income of 65k a month, OR  the 800k in the bank.  To me, if you can't show an income of 65k a month, you shouldn't be living here in the first place.  I know an American here in Chiang Mai who has been lying about his income for 10 years.  It's actually only about 35k a month.  Now he frantically trying to change his Retirement Visa to a Marriage Visa, which allows for a combined income of husband and wife.  He's a nice guy, and I wish him luck as, according to him, he has nothing to go back to in the States. 

I am single, non smoker, and drink maybe only once a week (doctor's recommendation, due to neuropathy), to meet up with expat friends that I have known for nearly 15 years. My visa is 100% legal, as I have the funds in my bank account to get a yearly extension, however, as I am not quite yet 60, my income is less than 65K a month. As all my monthly expenses add up to less than 10k (condo rent/utilities/private internet connection/phone) per month, could you please explain why I shouldn't be living here ? 

It's just not fair!

I never qualified to live here under the rules, but everyone knows the only rule that matters in Thailand is the back pocket envelope rule!

I've used that method for years and suddenly they require me to actually have the money that the visa/permit requires!!!  It's just not fair, what am I supposed to do? It doesn't matter that Thailand has one of the easiest, cheapest, retirement visa in a favored retirement destination, I should be allowed to live here without meeting their conditions. I've done it for years, and my contribution of 25,000 a month has practically shored up their economy!

I don't want to be forced back to my home country but I do want to keep what money I have back there because Thailand is corrupt and somebody might take it! (petty theft?)

I can probably get the 800k, but what would I live on? I want to have my cake and eat it!

And those arrogant SOBs who worked hard all their lives to get sufficient funds to retire within the rules, are all a...holes! It doesn't matter that my lying and cheating has made their lives more difficult, they have no right to criticize me!

1 minute ago, brokenbone said:

is there any way to enforce IO to approve a valid application based on marry visa based on income letter ?

No, they are Gods.

BUT, if you can evidence 5be income criteria there is no reason for them not to accept the application. 

3 minutes ago, Old Croc said:

It's just not fair!

I never qualified to live here under the rules, but everyone knows the only rule that matters in Thailand is the back pocket envelope rule!

I've used that method for years and suddenly they require me to actually have the money that the visa/permit requires!!!  It's just not fair, what am I supposed to do? It doesn't matter that Thailand has one of the easiest, cheapest, retirement visa in a favored retirement destination, I should be allowed to live here without meeting their conditions. I've done it for years, and my contribution of 25,000 a month has practically shored up their economy!

I don't want to be forced back to my home country but I do want to keep what money I have back there because Thailand is corrupt and somebody might take it! (petty theft?)

I can probably get the 800k, but what would I live on? I want to have my cake and eat it!

And those arrogant SOBs who worked hard all their lives to get sufficient funds to retire within the rules, are all a...holes! It doesn't matter that my lying and cheating has made their lives more difficult, they have no right to criticize me!

Well said and good luck, Thailand is all about lying and cheating 

It seems that they just have to keep changing the rules or making them up as they go along with no logic involved, yes I know logic never seems to be involved in a lot of what goes on here. Almost as if people have to justify their jobs by saying "look what I have done. today I have made a difference!".

It would be interesting for someone to explain why the changes are necessary  but its not likely to happen, ah well lets move onto the ever popular tourist arrivals, there will soon be standing room only if you believe what TAT says.

1 hour ago, Soupdragon said:

Has anyone here actually been made to feel they are welcome in Thailand by Immigration Officials ???

Yes when I was in the immigration office in Chaeng Wattana doing my yearly Non O retirement  using the Embassy letter

was advised by  the lady immigration officer to use the Monthly 40000 baht bank option  for my next yearly Non O as married to a Thai  

she was very helpful and had a caring attitude  in providing information  on my future options  

Archived