New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

12 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am single, non smoker, and drink maybe only once a week (doctor's recommendation, due to neuropathy), to meet up with expat friends that I have known for nearly 15 years. My visa is 100% legal, as I have the funds in my bank account to get a yearly extension, however, as I am not quite yet 60, my income is less than 65K a month. As all my monthly expenses add up to less than 10k (condo rent/utilities/private internet connection/phone) per month, could you please explain why I shouldn't be living here ? 

I think that you have applied the 65k comment literally to suit your point - which is a valid one.

I think that Just1voice was suggesting that if you don’t have the required income to live here then you shouldn’t be here. You have shown that you have sufficient income to live comfortably AND you satisfy immigration requirements by having 800k in the bank.

If you didn’t have that money in the bank AND could not evidence the required amount for monthly income then I would agree that you should not be here.

Just because someone CAN survive on 25k month does not mean that they are eligible to stay here (unless they meet money in the bank requirements). 

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MRToMRT said:

Anybody ever considered the 400 K maybe in lieu of trying to enforce compulsory heath insurance? In which case it would actually be a damn good idea as far as the Thai's are concerned.

I dont get why the huge backlash, the Thais want a certain "immigrant" standard. We have known this for a couple of years and the hoops required for the bigger visas (OX) are so big, the writing was on the wall that extensions of stay MUST become more difficult to obtain in order for the Thais to achieve the immigration standard they want. 

Seems half of europe, US and Aus (and lest be frank 90% of the posters here are from those areas) is touting heavier immigration controls for their own countries - so why not the Thais?

can you please just pop down to all the major private hospitals and see for yourself the hundreds of foreigners paying through the nose for all kinds of services. Why the hell do people believe the illegal junta media that foreigners are a health insurance liability, its pure nonsense. For example Bumrumgrad Hospital woo stock investors appetite by proclaiming how they are going to attract more foreign patients and make more profits.

As for wanting a higher standard of immigrants, well this land isnt the living standard of Switzerland and with a crime gang in charge its not much above an african country outside chinese origin infested bangkok.

Without more details, this article is just worthless :sad:
Everyone on Retirement Extension today was supposed to already have 65k/monthly or 800k in bank,
so why exactly can't he stay anymore after these rather small changes in rules ? 
That's a gross distortion.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Anybody ever considered the 400 K maybe in lieu of trying to enforce compulsory heath insurance? In which case it would actually be a damn good idea as far as the Thai's are concerned.

I dont get why the huge backlash, the Thais want a certain "immigrant" standard. We have known this for a couple of years and the hoops required for the bigger visas (OX) are so big, the writing was on the wall that extensions of stay MUST become more difficult to obtain in order for the Thais to achieve the immigration standard they want. 

Seems half of europe, US and Aus (and lest be frank 90% of the posters here are from those areas) is touting heavier immigration controls for their own countries - so why not the Thais?
That's a gross distortion. The 400k lockup can't be spent not even one baht of it not even in a medical emergency. Go one back under spending your own money and you become an illegal alien. New retired expats should stop coming.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

27 minutes ago, LucysDad said:

No, they are Gods.

BUT, if you can evidence 5be income criteria there is no reason for them not to accept the application. 

welp, they have their own agendas and until the day comes

when i can enforce approval of valid application,

i wont be trying, again

1 hour ago, Just1Voice said:

Everyone seems to be focusing on the 800k, and ignoring Rule #3, of having an income of 65k a month, OR  the 800k in the bank.  To me, if you can't show an income of 65k a month, you shouldn't be living here in the first place.  I know an American here in Chiang Mai who has been lying about his income for 10 years.  It's actually only about 35k a month.  Now he frantically trying to change his Retirement Visa to a Marriage Visa, which allows for a combined income of husband and wife.  He's a nice guy, and I wish him luck as, according to him, he has nothing to go back to in the States. 

So you spend 65k a month, others certainly don’t and 35k is very doable. Your friend is a good example of many in this predicament.No value in blaming methods that were previously in place and withdrawn by the useless embassies(4)

2 hours ago, Pattaya46 said:

Without more details, this article is just worthless :sad:

Everyone on Retirement Extension today was supposed to already have 65k/monthly or 800k in bank,

so why exactly can't he stay anymore after these rather small changes in rules ? 

" Rather SMALL Changes ???????"

I simply don't understand what the problem seems to be.
a)  Show an income of 65k a month;

or

b) 800k in the bank.

Two options.  Both simple.  If you can't meet one or the other, then you shouldn't be here in the first place. 

Keep in mind, it's THEIR country.  THEY make the rules.  We either live by them, or we don't live here.  

Everyone seems to be focusing on the 800k, and ignoring Rule #3, of having an income of 65k a month, OR  the 800k in the bank.  To me, if you can't show an income of 65k a month, you shouldn't be living here in the first place.  I know an American here in Chiang Mai who has been lying about his income for 10 years.  It's actually only about 35k a month.  Now he frantically trying to change his Retirement Visa to a Marriage Visa, which allows for a combined income of husband and wife.  He's a nice guy, and I wish him luck as, according to him, he has nothing to go back to in the States. 

Well THANK YOU For your'e ADVICE......How Bloody DARE You.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he was in Thailand before 1998 on continuous retirement extensions he only requires 200,000 baht

So sad. I'm glad I have seen how the best laid plans can be turned around at a drop of a hat.....

Be warned when they double the requirements as they have done in the past (twice) all the "gloaters" with 800k better be prepared . Just saying 

To me, if you can't show an income of 65k a month, you shouldn't be living here in the first place. [edited for brevity]

I hear where you're coming from, but given that a substantial percentage of Thais have income less than 30k, and the average social security benefit in the US is $1,360 the 65k cost of admission seems somewhat arbitrary. It should also be kept in mind that this change was announced without warning less than 90 days prior to implementation after remaining the same for decades. This is a fairly significant change and a longer lead in time to make adjustments would have been useful. I don't think this shows much sensitivity to the financial realities many people face.

1 hour ago, Rugon said:

He can't complain, he's had a more than average innings. If he doesn't have family/friends here that he can borrow 15k to get a visa through an agent, then he really shouldn't be here as he must have gone delally.

So Tell HIM Where he can FIND An Agent then " Clever Dick "

19 minutes ago, kwan said:

Ethnic Cleansing. !

You pay, you stay.

Or you can go through the the citizenship process.

Pretty much the same worldwide from Lichtenstein to Liberia.

Only the price changes.

2 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

A 90 year old doesnt have a pension to live on ??????

I would suggest if a 90 year old is drawing down savings to live, it was going to run out at some stage.

Have a happy ending Don,  before you go .  Bon voyage .

8 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

UK and US consulates will no longer be able to verify the pensions of its citizens : FACT

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Aaaah so that is what you meant, verification of income by 4 embassies. Why didn't you say that in the first place rather than say no 65k as there is an option of importing 65k per month as detailed in the most recent communication from Thai Immigration

18 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I simply don't understand what the problem seems to be.
a)  Show an income of 65k a month;

or

b) 800k in the bank.

Two options.  Both simple.  If you can't meet one or the other, then you shouldn't be here in the first place. 

Keep in mind, it's THEIR country.  THEY make the rules.  We either live by them, or we don't live here.  

Let us know if you still feel the same way as and when the rising tide reaches you.

1 minute ago, mokwit said:

Let us know if you still feel the same way as and when the rising tide reaches you.

Couldn't have put it better mokwit!

Just1voice's day will come . 200k became 400k then 800k....time will tell.

Never be condescending or happy with others misfortunes because soon they may be yours

Archived