New retirement extension rules forces expat, 90, to leave Thailand

webfact

• Replies 826
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

I can't speak for other Embassies, but in 10 years of getting Income Verification letters from the American Embassy in Chiang Mai, not once was I asked to provide any proof of my income.  Even though I always took it with me. Nor was anyone else that I'm aware of.  Because of that, a lot of guys simply lied about their income, and now they are crying "foul", when they knew the rules to begin with. 

Er hello. people putting 800k in the bank thought they knew the rues - now they can't start drawing down the 800k to live on the day after their visa is granted because THE RULES HAVE CHANGED.

12 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I'd like it to remain a country where I can live with my Thai children.

But it sadly doesn't appear that is going to happen, and I've already told the new 9 year old unwanted Thai girl I was planning to take in that I can't look after her due to immigration uncertainty.

The 20 year old I took in years back is doing OK, and should be able to cope on her own.

My 7 year old son has a Brit passport, so he can come with me, or stay with his Thai mom who doesn't really want him.

If you are young enough to have a 7 year old then why would you want to be in Thailand? Go back home and go to work, take the boy with you. He will have a good education and a good life.

It's possible he was using the pension method. Did not keep up with the news. Went to the embassy to get an income confirmation letter.

Found out he can not get. Found out there is no alternative that can be met as he now has less than 30 days till his visa expires.

A problem can arise if you need to switch from income to savings method, as you need to get 800k very fast, so it can session for 3 months.

3 hours ago, MRToMRT said:

Anybody ever considered the 400 K maybe in lieu of trying to enforce compulsory heath insurance? In which case it would actually be a damn good idea as far as the Thai's are concerned.

I dont get why the huge backlash, the Thais want a certain "immigrant" standard. We have known this for a couple of years and the hoops required for the bigger visas (OX) are so big, the writing was on the wall that extensions of stay MUST become more difficult to obtain in order for the Thais to achieve the immigration standard they want. 

Seems half of europe, US and Aus (and lest be frank 90% of the posters here are from those areas) is touting heavier immigration controls for their own countries - so why not the Thais?

yes  because we  immigrants  here  bleed  the Thai  system  dry  whereas in the UK this NEVER   happens  with  immigrants..............makes u  wonder  why  they  aim for  the UK and  dont  stay  in  France

4 minutes ago, JayBird said:

It's possible he was using the pension method. Did not keep up with the news. Went to the embassy to get an income confirmation letter.

Found out he can not get. Found out there is no alternative that can be met as he now has less than 30 days till his visa expires.

A problem can arise if you need to switch from income to savings method, as you need to get 800k very fast, so it can session for 3 months.

werent immigration    making an  allowance  for  this?

Just now, kannot said:

yes  because we  immigrants  here  bleed  the Thai  system  dry  whereas in the UK this NEVER   happens  with  immigrants..............makes u  wonder  why  they  aim for  the UK and  dont  stay  in  France

People on retirement extensions are NOT immigrants!

In fact it isn't even possible to transition from retirement extension to even permanent residence after decades of living here.

Stop with the comparisons to the west. Not relevant.

2 minutes ago, TechnikaIII said:

"New retirement extension rules... " 

Or just the existing rules being enforced, by clamping down on the illegal agents.

Pay attention, dude. Reports already in before the official start of this that corrupt agents have ALREADY figured out how to play this new game, for much HIGHER FEES of course.

Don't be naïve and sucked into the propaganda. 
If the real intention was to go after the corruption food chain (which involves three types of people) there were much better ways.

Surgical going directly towards the corrupt players rather than burn down the forest variety.

The impact here is to basically punish people that have been following the rules without resorting to joining the corruption food chain. 

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

It's never been the people that's welcome; only the money !

Could you list the countries that would welcome you without expecting some economic benefit to their economy ( or they'd "welcome" you because you're a legitimate refugee to be welcomed to a tented camp and to years of legal limbo).

4 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

It's never been the people that's welcome; only the money !

That's because we are not guests as some like to say, we are paying customers. No money, no service. Fair enough, do it that way and people will start to look for a better deal if Thais aren't cheap enough.

4 hours ago, Soupdragon said:

Has anyone here actually been made to feel they are welcome in Thailand by Immigration Officials ???

Most Certainly I Have 2 Years ago at Mukdahan Immigration,I Had a Lady who was head there gave me every bit of help that she could,Filling out forms & Transferring stamps into my new Passport, She was VERY Helpful,Oh ! & BTW She was Gorgeous !!!

9 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Could you list the countries that would welcome you without expecting some economic benefit to their economy ( or they'd "welcome" you because you're a legitimate refugee to be welcomed to a tented camp and to years of legal limbo).

As far as expat retirement status, of course every nation that offers that does it for the perceived economic benefit. But most are more humane than Thailand's system. They set the requirements (in many cases much lower than Thailand, and in other cases similar or higher) and then you go through an application process (which is typically a major pain) and then you get your yes or no, in many cases for life. Rare are annual applications. Even rarer are required imports of claimed pension funds. That's what older people really need when retiring abroad -- residence security for life. Never on offer in Thailand. Thailand's system has now entered the rather horrible zone and people do need to be warned about that. 

35 minutes ago, garyk said:

After reading threw many threads here. Personally I think the U.S., SS administration should start cutting benefits for people retiring to Thailand. Basically treating them as Foreigners having worked in the US, and returning home to collect US benefits. That should help shore up the SS monies, and deter retirement in Thailand.

Of course anyone with a current extension of stay would be grandfathered in, but it would essentially stop all people from considering Thailand as a retirement destination, even more that the new rules put in place by Thailand.

SS is my money that I put into the system.  My VA medical pension costs VA less in Thailand than an American hospital. 

11 minutes ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Amazing how many 'retirees' cannot still accept or understand this simple fact when they 'retire' in Thailand.

The only post you've made that I agree with.

Paying cash for a home in a country where you have no right to reside is financial madness.

I'm confused by this whole situation of retirees. Every second story here seems to be about this new law.

Should a 90 year old get preferential treatment over a 70 year old? I don't think so, no other country would do this.

One pensioner has decided to leave, so what? Anyone who has been here a few years will know how to get around these hurdles that have always been thrown at us by immigration.

Does he have family here? Can't they help him out? It would only take a loan of 400 k for a few months to keep grandad here.

Maybe they are just trying to stop the retired butcher from Barnsley, or the garbage man from Gothenburg, living on mama noodles and a weekly freelancer in Pattaya.

I learned a couple things here on TVF from some posters that hopefully a lot of new and old posters have. Make and save a lot more money before you retire ( and even after if you can) and ALWAYS have a plan “B”  and if possible have a plan “C”.  It’s been extremely beneficial to me since I’m not at retirement age yet.  Thanks to those guys and girls! 

5 hours ago, mokwit said:

There is likely to be a stream of these stories in the foreign press. Might be enough to make Thailand take notice as they actually don't like being in a bad light internationally.

Today apparently on Talk Back Radio in Melbourne a few Aussies giving the Thai's a bit of a Spray on this issue and getting a big reaction from the Public ,so yes its gone International now!

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I'm confused by this whole situation of retirees. Every second story here seems to be about this new law.

Should a 90 year old get preferential treatment over a 70 year old? I don't think so, no other country would do this.

One pensioner has decided to leave, so what? Anyone who has been here a few years will know how to get around these hurdles that have always been thrown at us by immigration.

Does he have family here? Can't they help him out? It would only take a loan of 400 k for a few months to keep grandad here.

Maybe they are just trying to stop the retired butcher from Barnsley, or the garbage man from Gothenburg, living on mama noodles and a weekly freelancer in Pattaya.

Maybe the “H” he refers to is for Hawaii and he is really happy to go. Let’s face it. The articles sucks and tells us virtually nothing. 

1 minute ago, Father Fintan Stack said:

Usually a house is a form of payment to the Thai gf, wife, spouse etc. to stop them going back with their Thai hubby, lovers etc. and to force her to stay with the much older farang.  

Hard truths.

You can bet she's be getting split by the Thai ex or lover anyway at every opportunity.

Better to rent in either case I would suggest.

Similar risks to Thailand but a lot cheaper and easier currently.

More crime and filth tends to put me off.

You can bet she's be getting split by the Thai ex or lover anyway at every opportunity.......I Beg Your Pardon, How Dare you suggest that....Very Naughty....

Just now, Father Fintan Stack said:

You can bet she's be getting split by the Thai ex or lover anyway at every opportunity.

AWALT.

Not just Thai women, but almost every woman will cheat, given the opportunity.

I found the best way to combat this trait, was to also cheat at every opportunity.

It may not fix the problem, but it evens things up a bit.

3 minutes ago, bluesea said:

Today apparently on Talk Back Radio in Melbourne a few Aussies giving the Thai's a bit of a Spray on this issue and getting a big reaction from the Public ,so yes its gone International now!

Hardly that’s international! ????

Archived