Conwood needs repaint.

james.d

The conwood at the front of our house needs repainting. I was going to remove the old paint using a gas blowtorch as in the photo. Conwood is apparently fire proof but would it warp or lift?

I prefer not to use a grinder as it may get pitted and nor use a paint remover.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I go buy the torch and propane.

Many thanks.

IMG_20190206_090015.jpg

images.jpeg

Just go an get the proper fibre paint for conwood, shera, dura, which is not cheap, will cost you about 1000bt and give it two more coats after you clean it.

those areas that have worn away will soon blend in.

A tip, dont panic after the first coat that it looks too thin, the colour enriches as it dries.

If the correct paint was used originally you will not get it off, its leached in.

Get the blow torch idea out of your head!

20 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Just go an get the proper fibre paint for conwood, shera, dura, which is not cheap, will cost you about 1000bt and give it two more coats after you clean it.

those areas that have worn away will soon blend in.

A tip, dont panic after the first coat that it looks too thin, the colour enriches as it dries.

If the correct paint was used originally you will not get it off, its leached in.

Get the blow torch idea out of your head!

Thanks for your advice I will sand it as Andrew suggested and use conwood paint in this section.

Sadly conwood paint was not used as we have about 150m2 around the house and the conwood paint was / is 1,750Bt per tin. Hindsight etc....

Thanks again for recommending not to use blowtorch.

Yes James I also speak from the cheap charlie experience. I didnt want to pay for the proper stuff and just used some woodstain mixed with something else.

The result was good but as yours over the years heavy rain eventually gets under it and lifts it off.

I went over mine with a woodetect product that cost 970 or so for a gallon.

Should have used it from the start really 

1549507341409-1541244082.jpg

3 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

Yes James I also speak from the cheap charlie experience. I didnt want to pay for the proper stuff and just used some woodstain mixed with something else.

The result was good but as yours over the years heavy rain eventually gets under it and lifts it off.

I went over mine with a woodetect product that cost 970 or so for a gallon.

Should have used it from the start really 

1549507341409-1541244082.jpg

Really appreciate you uploading that product, I shall check Homepro for it. Many thanks.

Archived