What is needed from Immigration for Bank

I went to Bangkok Bank yesterday and asked what I needed to open a Bank account with them

of course the Lady decided it would be easier to talk to the wife?

a few minuets later as we went down the escalator I was told Passport-Lease-and something from Immigration

er...er  ''I do not know what she mean't'' can any one enlighten me or do I have to return without my translator?

From immigration you need to get a Certificate of Residence. Basically it is a piece of paper with your name, address and your photo, signed and stamped by immigration. It is an official document stating that you actually do live where you say you do.

What you will need  

• Photocopy of lease agreement, blue/yellow house book, letter from the landlord
  • NEW REQUIREMENT: Photocopy of TM.30 form signed by your landlord
  • Two 2×2 inch passport photos
  • Actual passport (to confirm authenticity)
  • Photocopy of the following passport pages: main photo page, visa page, TM.6 departure card (all pages must be signed)
  • Completed application form of Residence Certificate in Thailand. Blank copies are provided at the office.

These certificates can take a while to process depending on which immigration office you use.  

Sounds like:"

- Copy of your passport (for a farang your passport if your main Identiication Document)

- Proof of address like a lease, Yellow Book, etc (that is, proof of your Thailand residence)

- Certificate of Residence from Thai Immigration or your home country embassy (serves like a recommendation and proof of residence)

You basically need your passport and a type of reference letter confirming your address in Thailand.  

see the Bangkok Bank webpage below for full info.

https://www.bangkokbank.com/en/Personal/Save-And-Invest/Save/Savings-Account

Required Documents

For Thai nationals

• ID card or any government-issued photo ID card with 13-digit ID number

For foreigners

1. Foreigner with a work permit

• Passport
  • Work Permit

2. Foreigner without work permit

• Passport
  • A reference letter issued by one of the following institutes or organizations or required document
    • Embassy located  in Thailand 
    • An overseas bank where the customer holds an account sent via SWIFT 
    • Trusted individuals such as a Bangkok Bank staff member or customer, director of a private company, permanent residence in Thailand, government or private educational institutes located in Thailand trusted by the Bank
    • Trusted companies, e.g., an employment letter from the company if the customer is in the process of applying for a work permit.
    • Document showing ownership of a fixed asset such as a condominium sale/purchase agreement (a condominium which is acceptable to Bangkok Bank) Or a property reservation agreement valued at 100,000 baht or more with a reference letter from the property developer that is acceptable to Bangkok Bank.

Notes: Contact addresses for both Thailand and overseas must be provided (hotel and P.O. Box addresses are not acceptable).

"From immigration you need to get a Certificate of Residence. Basically it is a piece of paper with your name, address and your photo, signed and stamped by immigration. It is an official document stating that you actually do live where you say you do."

I have 4 accounts with 3 different banks...never had to get a Certificate of Residence?

1 hour ago, dotpoom said:

"From immigration you need to get a Certificate of Residence. Basically it is a piece of paper with your name, address and your photo, signed and stamped by immigration. It is an official document stating that you actually do live where you say you do."

I have 4 accounts with 3 different banks...never had to get a Certificate of Residence?

Just another of many such posts over the years where some people did not have to provide anything beyond their passport to open a bank account....while others had to provide more proof like certificate of residence/letter from their home country embassy. 

A lot depends on the individual branches who apparently have latitude in applying the parent bank policies for account opening.   Just like how different immigration offices around the country implement HQ Immigration policies a little differently.  TIT

If you have a tabian ban most will not ask for a Certificate of residence. Ditto if you have a pink Thai ID card (as this is tied to a tabian ban).

but if yo udon't then a Certificate of residence from Imm.

They ask to see proof of residence from Thai citizens as well in the form of tabian ban or ID card (which links to tabian ban). So this is quite standard.

1 hour ago, Sheryl said:

If you have a tabian ban most will not ask for a Certificate of residence. Ditto if you have a pink Thai ID card (as this is tied to a tabian ban).

but if yo udon't then a Certificate of residence from Imm.

They ask to see proof of residence from Thai citizens as well in the form of tabian ban or ID card (which links to tabian ban). So this is quite standard.

Exactly just don’t go to Bangkok Bank.  When I went to SCB to open my own personal account in my name only I didn’t need anything from immigration just the Tambien Baan, lease agreement and a few other documents that I had readily available.  You don’t need anything from immigration to open an account at SCB as long as you have the Tambien Baan.  Bangkok Bank tried to tell me different but they were wrong I had no problem opening an account at SCB.  Just avoid Bangkok Bank.  

3 minutes ago, Jim7777 said:

Exactly just don’t go to Bangkok Bank.  When I went to SCB to open my own personal account in my name only I didn’t need anything from immigration just the Tambien Baan, lease agreement and a few other documents that I had readily available.  You don’t need anything from immigration to open an account at SCB as long as you have the Tambien Baan.  

If you have a Tamien Baan...ditto for Bangkok Bank according to their HQ policy in post #3 above.   I've never had to produce a embassy letter/CoR in the numerous accounts I opened at Bangkok Bank and that is probably because I show them my Yellow Book.

I visited Jomtien Immigration yesterday with what I thought was all the necessary paperwork for a Letter of Residence only to be turned away in no uncertain terms for not having a letter from my embassy. I've since found out that although you can get a cert of res for a vehicle license without the embassy letter (watch this space), you can't for opening a bank account. Bangkok Bank Central Plaza Pattaya wouldn't accept a driving license as proof of address, only a letter from TI.

7 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

From immigration you need to get a Certificate of Residence. Basically it is a piece of paper with your name, address and your photo, signed and stamped by immigration. It is an official document stating that you actually do live where you say you do.

What you will need  

• Photocopy of lease agreement, blue/yellow house book, letter from the landlord
  • NEW REQUIREMENT: Photocopy of TM.30 form signed by your landlord
  • Two 2×2 inch passport photos
  • Actual passport (to confirm authenticity)
  • Photocopy of the following passport pages: main photo page, visa page, TM.6 departure card (all pages must be signed)
  • Completed application form of Residence Certificate in Thailand. Blank copies are provided at the office.

These certificates can take a while to process depending on which immigration office you use.  

That may be true in the case of applying for a driving license, but they insist on the embassy letter for opening a bank account. I was refused one yesterday for just that reason.

4 hours ago, dotpoom said:

Immigration down here Do Not Provide such document. just try a few different banks at different locations 

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

That may be true in the case of applying for a driving license, but they insist on the embassy letter for opening a bank account. I was refused one yesterday for just that reason.

Tell them it is for Driving Licence, it's the same letter.

8 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

Tell them it is for Driving Licence, it's the same letter.

D'ya know I thought of that afterwards, but assumed that there'd be a snag somewhere along the line. Good idea, but knowing me I'd get nicked for it. I'm going on a scouting mission (hopefully) tomorrow when I hope to visit some outlying branches of BB, see what happens. 

3 minutes ago, jesimps said:

D'ya know I thought of that afterwards, but assumed that there'd be a snag somewhere along the line. Good idea, but knowing me I'd get nicked for it. I'm going on a scouting mission (hopefully) tomorrow when I hope to visit some outlying branches of BB, see what happens. 

Say hi to Lord Baden !

1 hour ago, Otis Cribelcoblis said:

Amazing.  Not one of these responders told you what you really need to know.

Tell Bangkok Bank To F themselves.

Go to Kasikorn with your wife and a passport and open an account.

Jesus, so easy and all of the above just glom on to the hard way.

BB is Hard.

Kasikorn is Easy.

Bangkok Bank transfers from abroad using the cheap TransferWise are shown as international. I have accounts at three different local banks and my intl transfers are shown as domestic. One of them is Kasikorn. That's the reason that many, including me, are trying to open an account with BB.

1 hour ago, jesimps said:

I visited Jomtien Immigration yesterday with what I thought was all the necessary paperwork for a Letter of Residence only to be turned away in no uncertain terms for not having a letter from my embassy. I've since found out that although you can get a cert of res for a vehicle license without the embassy letter (watch this space), you can't for opening a bank account. Bangkok Bank Central Plaza Pattaya wouldn't accept a driving license as proof of address, only a letter from TI.

There is a paper from the Jomtien immigration only for Bangkok bank.  It authorizes you to open a bank account.  Supposedly there is one for every bank but Jomtien immigration only has forms for Bangkok bank and when you ask at the other banks to provide a form to take back to immigration they all feign they know nothing about such an authorization form. The big negative with Bangkok bank is that they extort you to have an "insurance" policy as a pre-condition to open the account.  The cheapest policy is about $2,500 baht. 

1 minute ago, Thomas J said:

There is a paper from the Jomtien immigration only for Bangkok bank.  It authorizes you to open a bank account.  Supposedly there is one for every bank but Jomtien immigration only has forms for Bangkok bank and when you ask at the other banks to provide a form to take back to immigration they all feign they know nothing about such an authorization form. The big negative with Bangkok bank is that they extort you to have an "insurance" policy as a pre-condition to open the account.  The cheapest policy is about $2,500 baht. 

Went to Jomtien and they wouldn't do it, insisted on a letter from embassy first. Tried to reason with the IO but to no avail.

I've never heard you need anything from immigration, and I've opened a number of accounts at several different banks.

But I don't like the way banks now inspect your passport for immigration stamps. What's with that? Are they now the defacto immigration where it's every Thai's duty to spy on foriegners all the time or something?

2 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

I've never heard you need anything from immigration, and I've opened a number of accounts at several different banks.

But I don't like the way banks now inspect your passport for immigration stamps. What's with that? Are they now the defacto immigration where it's every Thai's duty to spy on foriegners all the time or something?

funny enough I noticed the BB lady went through my passport several times

and was giving a big smile as she spotted my new renewal? it did cross my mind that you would think only certain visa categories are allowed to open

a bank account, and then I remembered hearing work permit and non-o so maybe she was trying to save me a journey? maybe...The rules change

so often here you get dizzy trying to keep up with them.

3 hours ago, Time Traveller said:

Yes they are 

Archived