swimming pool virus

pachoderm

Hello, about ten days ago I went for a swim in a well known saltwater pool in Chiang Mai and came down with a virus on that evening. They say that they clean the pool regularly but who knows. My question, is there a name for the most common form of virus picked up from swimming pools in this region? This one manifested with symptoms of low energy, mild fever, persistent cough, hard to concentrate etc - and it is taking a long time to come right, I am over the worst but it is still lingering. I have taken various pharmaceuticals for it plus vitamins.
Is it worth going to the hospital to get a blood test for something like this, I am worried that it might be something more serious like encephalitis
?
I am also wondering if it is safe to go back in the pool, I miss swimming!

More to the point... is there a virus that has such a short incubation period?

Even the common Rhinovirus takes more time than a few hours.

Why do you assume you contracted this virus from a saltwater swimming pool, rather than from someone sneezing or coughing nearby a day or two before?

Pertussis or whooping cough comes to mind. broad spectrum antibiotics is the Thai answer, my personal choice would be to have my blood checked at a reliable clinic or hospital.

I would NOT go back to this pool. Many are NEVER cleaned, they only keep on adding chlorine. Changing the water and ilter regularly is expensive, you know!

thanks for your comments, I am reconsidering it as perhaps more of an airborne virus that I picked up on one of those smoky days. Many ways to pick it up of course. So perhaps a coincidence with the pool. I went back there today and asked around, they have pretty regular cleaning apparently. Will run some tests anyway.

52 minutes ago, pachoderm said:

thanks for your comments, I am reconsidering it as perhaps more of an airborne virus that I picked up on one of those smoky days. Many ways to pick it up of course. So perhaps a coincidence with the pool. I went back there today and asked around, they have pretty regular cleaning apparently. Will run some tests anyway.

The high pollution levels recently might potentially make it more likely you catch certain types of infections and viruses and this is a tropical environment where viruses and bacterial infections can spread quickly.

If it makes you feel any better I have had the symptoms you describe recently, I put it down to a normal dry cold / flu type virus or in relation to the pollution levels that wont help either.

Although to be sure you can get it checked out.

Just ask around, many swimmers sick or not.

Sent from my iPod touch using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, pachoderm said:

Pretty regular cleaning. Will run some tests. ???????? . And you will win the lottery twice in a row.

7 hours ago, Bullie said:

Pertussis or whooping cough comes to mind. broad spectrum antibiotics is the Thai answer, my personal choice would be to have my blood checked at a reliable clinic or hospital.

I would NOT go back to this pool. Many are NEVER cleaned, they only keep on adding chlorine. Changing the water and ilter regularly is expensive, you know!

I know you weren't suggesting to use antibiotics, but it should be reiterated, never treat a virus with antibiotics. 

13 minutes ago, atecom said:

I know you weren't suggesting to use antibiotics, but it should be reiterated, never treat a virus with antibiotics. 

True. Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections not viruses

7 minutes ago, upu2 said:

True. Antibiotics only work on bacterial infections not viruses

Agree with your post, but they should work on whooping cough, which the OP thought he had as it is caused by a bacteria.

Agree with another poster about something going round at the mo as a few friends have had similar.

2 hours ago, NightSky said:

The high pollution levels recently might potentially make it more likely you catch certain types of infections and viruses and this is a tropical environment where viruses and bacterial infections can spread quickly.

If it makes you feel any better I have had the symptoms you describe recently, I put it down to a normal dry cold / flu type virus or in relation to the pollution levels that wont help either.

Although to be sure you can get it checked out.

Have you PM the OP to see if you two went to the same Loh Kroh massage shop.   ????

Sorry. 

9 hours ago, Bullie said:

water in swimming pools is never ever changed except when you clean filter by a backwah some gets lost so is replaced quite often i dont tihnk you know anything about pool maintenance ifchlorine levil is to low pool will go green and also most people dont understand a salt pool is still a chlorine pool the salt is turned to chlorine by a machine 

The most common contracted infections from pools are gastrointestinal, eye and ear infections. The Op has probably just contracted a common airborne viral infection or if he has suffered from Dengue fever in the past this could be another serotype where his immunity reduces the full dengue symptoms. As stated before antibiotics have no effect on viral infections, in fact, they suppress your own immune system which is working full time fighting the virus.

I heard there is a strain of flu going around at the moment. My friends daughter had to spend 5 days in the hospital. He said it is "B strain" but that's all he knew.

It is tricky to shake off, one person I know who has it almost shook it off but then relapsed on the third day and back to square one. You get a very high fever which is recurring and hard to get down.

Archived