Video: Retired couple crushed as sugar cane truck overturns in Nong Bua Lamphu

webfact

Video: Retired couple crushed as sugar cane truck overturns in Nong Bua Lamphu

5pm.jpg

Picture: Daily News

CCTV footage from Nong Bua Lamphu in Thailand's north east showed the moment when a six wheel truck laden with sugar cane overturned and crushed a car coming in the opposite direction. (At 20 seconds in the footage).

The truck was overtaking a car that was slowing down. 

The driver of the truck fled the scene in the confusion of the aftermath of the accident on Saturday.

In the Soluna were Thongsin Mungngam, a retired teacher and his wife Somwang Uanchai. They were both seriously injured. 

Daily News reported that pressure on social media forced the truck driver Jaran Thongya, 41, to give himself up to Suwankhuha police yesterday. 

He reportedly admitted he was negligent and said he fled in a panic. 

Though no charges have yet been made he has been detained and blood tests have been ordered to see if he has taken drugs. 

If so he could face worse charges than reckless driving causing injury.

No mention was made of the latest condition of the victims in the accident. 

Picture: Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-02-06

11 minutes ago, fruitman said:

This is exactly why i don't like those Thai farmers...they don't give a duck about other roadusers, they don't care about polluting the air...it's all about me me me...

Such a truck is usually not driven by the farmer(s).

If farmers transport sugar cane themselves they use a pickup or E-tan.

It's the usual Thai truck driver sitting at the wheel who you can rant about.

That the farmers all jump on sugarcane (and will be beaten by falling prices this year) is the result of missing/failing agriculture policy.

The sugarcane business as it is done here is a complete mess.

Destroying landscape, spoiling the environment and clogging the roads with overweight trucks.

20 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

Such a truck is usually not driven by the farmer(s).

If farmers transport sugar cane themselves they use a pickup or E-tan.

It's the usual Thai truck driver sitting at the wheel who you can rant about.

That the farmers all jump on sugarcane (and will be beaten by falling prices this year) is the result of missing/failing agriculture policy.

The sugarcane business as it is done here is a complete mess.

Destroying landscape, spoiling the environment and clogging the roads with overweight trucks.

No it's driven by his 12 year old son.....i've seen it plenty of times. They block the road and bring you in danger.

I just discovered palm blossom sugar, tastes better, better for ones health but costs a lot in Thailand, even more than in Europe. I'll only use that from now on.

1 hour ago, webfact said:

Daily News reported that pressure on social media forced the truck driver Jaran Thongya, 41, to give himself up to Suwankhuha police yesterday. 

Social media seeks "sweet revenge". Good on them this time.

Watched the point of impact many times. That truck sure was top heavy. Driving with such a high centre of gravity requires extreme caution. Not a smart time for cowboy driving. Duhh

2 minutes ago, roo860 said:

Then don't state the obvious, when a driver overtakes on a 2 lane road he will be on the 'wrong' side, unless he undertakes.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I don't think he was overtaking. It was a swerve to avoid impact. He was just overloaded and going too fast to brake for the slow moving white car.

Another sad thing here is that the driver of the white car had slowed to near standstill in preparation to make his left turn onto the dirt. This can often cause an accident. But is entirely necessary to avoid being hit by the idiots who scream up your inside on a motorbike when you want to make a left turn.

This accident is a (good) working example of everything that is wrong with the roads here.

these  bastard  trucks  go thru Pranburi  regularly, always  hogging the outside lane as so overloaded cant turn  the wheel for fear of this tipping  over.........seen them on their sides here also, sail past  the police box every day

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Though no charges have yet been made he has been detained and blood tests have been ordered to see if he has taken drugs. 

Why even bother its obvious hes a  typical truck driver.....a <deleted>

44 minutes ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Another sad thing here is that the driver of the white car had slowed to near standstill in preparation to make his left turn onto the dirt.

Waiting for the motorbike to pass.

Truck driver obviously in deep sleep and then turning the wheel abruptly.

White car using indicator? Break lights working? Questions, questions...

EDIT:
And as others wrote: this was not a planned overtaking.

It was a panic reaction to avoid bumping into the white car.

1 hour ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Another sad thing here is that the driver of the white car had slowed to near standstill in preparation to make his left turn onto the dirt. This can often cause an accident. But is entirely necessary to avoid being hit by the idiots who scream up your inside on a motorbike when you want to make a left turn.

This accident is a (good) working example of everything that is wrong with the roads here.

The drivers are a bigger issue than the roads. As for running from the scene without helping, it should be an automatic guilty verdict and doubling of sentence and fines and a good flogging just to top it off.

The overloaded truck was a danger to everyone on the road. The real justice would be to see whether he had passed any police check points along its route, and if so charge the agents who didn't bar him from driving under those conditions.

Nice dream ... quiet please or you will wake me up.

29 minutes ago, Assurancetourix said:

Where is the video ?

An often asked question.

It's appended as an embedded Facebook post.

If you don't see it, it might be due to some tooling of your browser.

Try another one.

I am afraid this will also not work for you?

https://www.facebook.com/516059381928376/videos/320738695241662/

7 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

Nice dream ... quiet please or you will wake me up.

He who thinks this truck was overloaded hasn't seen much :cheesy:

During the years I have seen about half a dozen cane loads lying on the road.

Most on highway #12.

Just drive on the major roads towards the big sugar mills.

Before overtaking I watch them carefully (tilt angle, swing) and then full throttle to get past.

3 hours ago, fruitman said:

This is exactly why i don't like those Thai farmers...they don't give a duck about other roadusers, they don't care about polluting the air...it's all about me me me...

has nothing to do with farmers and EVERYTHING to do with thai driving style...They never slow down they never wait to overtake till safe they just think My car bigger I do what I want and everyone better get out of the way. Minivans and Trucks do this all the time in phuket, Blind corners, traffic coming the opposite direction...they don't care! 

Thank you KhunBENQ :jap:

I don't have a facebook account but I can see the video .

Don't understand why the truck driver is going so fast ; ( and why the little car in front of him going so slowly )

he will wait maybe two or three days before entering the mill ;

we have a sugar cane mill on rd 22 between Udon and Sawang daen Din ; village name is Ban Han Noy 

Nearly all  big trucks go slowly , max 60 km/h and have to wait on two huge parking lot , sometimes many days ..

When I drive up to Khonburi every month I usually use the back roads which go right past the Khonburi Sugar Factory. Now in the Sugar Cane season I opt to stay on the main road to avoid these mad bastards. I remember doing the back road journey once last year forgetting about the Sugar Cane season and had to drive past about 5 kilometers of trucks parked at the side of the road waiting to get into the factory. Once past the factory there was another few kilometers of trucks parked on the opposite side of the road waiting their turn. Hardly any room for normal drivers to drive safely. Absolute <deleted> nightmare.

2 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

I don't think he was overtaking. It was a swerve to avoid impact. He was just overloaded and going too fast to brake for the slow moving white car.

speed  irrelevant, he simply wasnt paying attention and this is the cause of almost all accidents  here

Archived