Video: Retired couple crushed as sugar cane truck overturns in Nong Bua Lamphu

webfact

This video shows so many things that are wrong in this country. The lorry was overloaded and going too fast. The driver runs away. And so many people just ride past on their bikes as if nothing had happened.

There's more. A law was introduced recently stating that all lorries carrying sugar cane must have their loads covered as they shed a large amount onto the road, a huge problem for motorcyclists who are in danger of being tumbled off their bike by the obstacles or hit by passing vehicles if they pull out to avoid them.

I have dozens of these lorries pass my house every day and not one, not one, has its load covered. As usual, police are blind and if anyone is killed because of the debris on the road it's just down to fate. It really is mind boggling how primitive this country is, with absolutely no interest in enforcing safety standards. That would cost money as well as need a sense of responsibility.

Initial cause of accident is douche bag in white car-almost stopping to decide if he wanted to turn left-no motorcycle to wait for and obviously didn’t check rear view mirror to see he was about to be crushed. 

Truck driver should have hit the brakes and creamed him instead of thinking he could go around him with that crazy manoeuvre.

Hope the old folks are able to enjoy some of their retirement time.

7 hours ago, roo860 said:

Which side do you normally overtake on? Having said that, terrible thing to happen.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Yes, we overtake on the right but in this case:

he was within a gnat's nadger of the car he crushed as he started his manoeuvre ... he didn't see it coming?

he was overtaking on what looks like a bend (might be wrong about that)

he was overtaking at junctions/crossroad and that is illegal

his load was insecure/too heavy 

however, if we assume I am wrong about the size and security of his load, he was driving too fast for the size and contents of his vehicle

I saw a lorry doing exactly the same at the large crossroads by Robinsons in Surin a couple of years ago but luckily no one was next to him as he went over. You can tell by the noise alone how much damage these grossly overladen lorries can do.

1 hour ago, whaleboneman said:

Initial cause of accident is douche bag in white car-almost stopping to decide if he wanted to turn left-no motorcycle to wait for and obviously didn’t check rear view mirror to see he was about to be crushed. 

Truck driver should have hit the brakes and creamed him instead of thinking he could go around him with that crazy manoeuvre.

Hope the old folks are able to enjoy some of their retirement time.

Your douche bag was just overtaking a motorbike and the lorry driver should have been aware a) of the white car and b) the motorbike. If not, then he would have been far too near to the car so that he failed to see the motorbike: I find that difficult to believe, though, as the lorry cab is significantly higher than both car and bike so high field of vision must have been extensive and clear.

No, I think you are being very unfair on the car driver, especially as we cannot see what happened to the left of the initial scene and therefore how much or how little of a douche bag that car driver was.

9 hours ago, Khaeng Mak said:

Another sad thing here is that the driver of the white car had slowed to near standstill in preparation to make his left turn onto the dirt. This can often cause an accident. But is entirely necessary to avoid being hit by the idiots who scream up your inside on a motorbike when you want to make a left turn.

This accident is a (good) working example of everything that is wrong with the roads here.

I'm sure you meant an example of what's wrong with the drivers (and truck loaders) here. The white car slowed for the left turn with a truck bearing down on it. That was a bad idea because he risked being rear-ended by the truck.

It was the truck driver's choice when he realized (too late) that he could not stop to either hit the left-turning white car or try to maneuver around it at speed.

I hope the couple fully-recover from this.

7 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Urgent appointment for lao khao ("whisky") meeting :annoyed:

I assume that this meeting has already happened.
I see this all the time with my wife's uncle on the last transport round of the day. The farmers (customers) splash out some beers and Lao Khao for these helpers.
That's why he made a runner, to sober up.

14 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Such a truck is usually not driven by the farmer(s).

If farmers transport sugar cane themselves they use a pickup or E-tan.

It's the usual Thai truck driver sitting at the wheel who you can rant about.

That the farmers all jump on sugarcane (and will be beaten by falling prices this year) is the result of missing/failing agriculture policy.

The sugarcane business as it is done here is a complete mess.

Destroying landscape, spoiling the environment and clogging the roads with overweight trucks.

Theres a large Sugar Cane factory in Na Klang about 30Km from Nong Bua and the trucks are in and out of the factory non stop at harvest times during all times of day. Prior to the recent road widening in Na Klang getting stuck behind one of these trucks was a game of chance....they always look like their cargo is gonna fall off at any time and overtaking them inherently a bad idea as many are double trailered trucks and thai drivers coming the other way don't particularly want to move over towards the bike/walking lane or slow down if they see you trying to overtake, they love the game of chicken... heads you lose/tails you lose... 

Exactly what can & does happen when you have a country where some people don't think or or worse don't even care about their actions, coupled with an ineffective traffic police force who cannot see beyond collecting pocket money!

21 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

Such a truck is usually not driven by the farmer(s).

If farmers transport sugar cane themselves they use a pickup or E-tan.

It's the usual Thai truck driver sitting at the wheel who you can rant about.

That the farmers all jump on sugarcane (and will be beaten by falling prices this year) is the result of missing/failing agriculture policy.

The sugarcane business as it is done here is a complete mess.

Destroying landscape, spoiling the environment and clogging the roads with overweight trucks.

This is true. Having lived in that area for sometime and still visit friends there I can say that many trucks overturn due to the cane being stacked too high. They don't realise that the cane shifts very easily, even with the slightest turn, if their speed is higher than 30-40km/h. Many of the trucks are rented and though I'm not sure, I think the driver gets paid according the number of deliveries so the incentive is there to drive faster than is safe. Many trucks can also be seen broken down along the main roads.

Archived