I am disgusted of how they treat foreigners in Thailand

3421abc

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OP is correct on many points.

I only take it for now because it suits me better. 

When it won't suit me anymore I will go back or move elsewhere.

No hard feelings towards Thailand. It's just business to me as much as it is for them.

3 minutes ago, sammieuk1 said:

Without any dough you ain't going to go to many country's and be welcomed just ask a Brit how welcoming they have become to non EU????

"Without any dough" - ha ha very good.

Brits are just as welcoming as ever to non EU.

54 minutes ago, fruitman said:

In BKK the bakeries are in the malls which open at 11 am during the week....and they don't speak a word english.

following these old english chaps advise......maybe should open your ears

55 minutes ago, geriatrickid said:

Thailand does not need low skilled foreign labour unless it is for hard labour like  fishing boats & processing plants, construction and some cleaning jobs. Thailand  tries to encourage its workers to obtain higher skilled jobs like data & financial transaction processing or R&D or skilled manufacturing.  It  has adapted its  immigration policy accordingly. This is similar to what western countries do. I can assure that the visiting medical researchers, including the folks who have been in and out for years have no problems with immigration. The executives over at Ford, and Honda  do not either. The Canadian bankers from Scotia Bank who come in to work at Thanachart Bank have no issues, nor do the insurer execs that rotate in from Allianz, Zurich or AXA.   Johnny Foreigner who runs a crappy beer bar that pimps out girls, or Harry who helps  his lady boy Bunny  with her hair dressing salon probably have  some immigration hassles if they do not meet the necessary financial requirements.  Sven and Katy the  smiling  Danish retirees who follow the  immigration rules and are organized don't have any issues, nor does Luke the retired train engineer from Sussex  who runs his visa renewal like he ran his freight, with punctuality.

YOUR points are  VALID- but here is the main issue. 

i had every type of long slay extension there is except Permanent Resident.  The criteria has never been made easier always a tightening.  After 40 years of marriage to a Thai- it's always the same dance- valid marriage?  Why in the hell should I and others like me not be given a permanent extension of stay and be able to use the houses I have bought; numerous vehicles and other fixed assets as guarantee and  educated numerous Thai step childless.  No credit from Immigration. I'm not even looking for a thank you and the money is inconsequential bu I am looking for reciprocity.  My wife has a US Green Card which gives the right to work in America; use any asocial benefits and not be hassled by Immigration/ She can even buy land in her own name- unlike the  nonsense and xenophobia exhibited by Thailand.

Now there is the issue of keeping 400K in a bank until the extension is granted- Why?  The purpose of the funds is to live on -not sit in a bank. In the past at some offices-they wanted to see movement in the account.

The 800K for retirement is now even more onerous-  keep 400K in you account all the time? The purpose is for living expense not be locked away.

I have always loved Thais and its people and have no  plans to leave- but I am disappointed in the continuous xenophobia exhibited  by the Immigration Bureau.  They don't seem to realize that there biggest problem is within not from foreigners.

11 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

i had every type of long slay extension there is except Permanent Resident.  The criteria has never been made easier always a tightening.  After 40 years of marriage to a Thai- it's always the same dance- valid marriage?  Why in the hell should I and others like me not be given a permanent extension of stay and be able to use the houses I have bought; numerous vehicles and other fixed assets as guarantee and  educated numerous Thai step childless.  No credit from Immigration. I'm not even looking for a thank you and the money is inconsequential bu I am looking for reciprocity.  My wife has a US Green Card which gives the right to work in America; use any asocial benefits and not be hassled by Immigration/ She can even buy land in her own name- unlike the  nonsense and xenophobia exhibited by Thailand.

Now there is the issue of keeping 400K in a bank until the extension is granted- Why?  The purpose of the funds is to live on -not sit in a bank. In the past at some offices-they wanted to see movement in the account.

The 800K for retirement is now even more onerous-  keep 400K in you account all the time? The purpose is for living expense not be locked away.

I have always loved Thais and its people and have no  plans to leave- but I am disappointed in the continuous xenophobia exhibited  by the Immigration Bureau.  They don't seem to realize that there biggest problem is within not from foreigners.

Life is full of disappointments.

18 minutes ago, Thaidream said:

Isn't it strange that a post, mainly on the quality of bread, can quickly get to the 800k question.

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Good grief, why are there so many posts like this?  Thailand's not for everyone, can be frustrating but you either deal with it, or don't.  Complaining won't help much, and moving isn't an option for many people who have family/work here.  If people think life will be any easier in another SE Asian country they are likely to be disappointed.

That's why it often ends in hot air.

4 minutes ago, SheungWan said:

I don't need the baker to speak at all.

Me neither, but when i enter the S&P bakery 1 girl rushes to bring me a basket (which i don't need), another one asks me many questions, a third one is playing on her phone, the 4th one is making sandwiches....and the whole shop is 9 square meters big! 555

1 minute ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not true, qualified people can do it.

You need to have worked here and paid tax here, plus a number of other hoops to jump through. The majority of expats don't qualify.

3 hours ago, j8k said:

If you don't like it then you know what you can do.

Correct, it ends in 'off'.

It doesn’t matter how much I read ThaiVisa.com, with any topic levelling any level of criticism against Thailand there is always one ass-clown who spews out the good old....”if you don’t like it go home” comment or some variation thereof...

I was just thinking to myself, what the Bangkok forum really needs is one of those whinging visa threads, just like all the ones in the visa forum, the Thai news forum, and the general topics forum.  Must be my lucky day.

Even if the careful reader manages to not get sidetracked by "love it or leave it" non sequiturs, 800K/retirement policy mentions, and the many bakery/dough-themed bon mots, here's what's left unspoken in the thread:  Thailand is highly, highly protectionist of its labor and small business with regards to foreigners, especially Westerners.  Not that they'll admit it publicly (or possibly even to themselves), but foreign-run small business/labor is a real competitive threat.  On average, our workplaces are more creative, adaptable, forward-thinking, detail-, results-, and customer-service oriented in that regard.  It's not an "us good, them bad" thing; it's just a result of the way we were raised, educated, and trained up in the Western work force.  When I see an excellent and successful small business, I make a point of finding out about the owners: there's very often at least a farang or more involved in the business and/or a Thai who has lived/studied/worked in the West.  Obviously, I'm not saying all businesses, but Western influence is definitely over-represented when you consider the % the population here that is farang.  

It's not that the protectionism only extends to Westerners as well....watch them squirm and put up obstructions as any attempt is made to open Thailand up to an ASEAN labor force with (among other things) better English competency.  You'll see the proof-positive there that they know they can't compete an a level playing field.

The demonstrated competence of outsiders will only call into question the old way of doing things and to a lot of the rottenness and cronyism in the current system.  THAT's actually a greater overall threat than some farangs being allowed to run small businesses without all the red tape and waste of employing (largely) flaky Thai labor.

Archived