I am disgusted of how they treat foreigners in Thailand

3421abc

Addendum: although it does occur to me that the small businesses that farangs TRULY excel in here are ones that cater to farangs/higher-society Thais while still delivering quality and value for money.  This is the market segment where the Thai-only businesses really fall flat here....no shortage of overpriced places with nice decorations and crappy product knowledge/service.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, SenorProletariat said:

I am in total agreement with the OP here.

The way foreigners are treated is outrageous and needs immediate adjustment. After all, foreigners are responsible for 12% of Thailand's total GDP. 

A little gratitude wouldn't go amiss.

SP.

When i grew up in Europe we had 2 foster parents childs, my parents donated monthly money to them. For some years i had 2 Thai brothers they always told me and showed us the pictures that they sent to us.

Now many years later i am married with a Thai lady, but when i go with her and the family to a national park i have to pay 10 times more as them! I'm not allowed to work, not even as a volunteer. I'm not allowed to buy a house for us on my name, i have to jump through loads of hoops to get the visa to be with my wife.

I wonder if my 2 Thai 'brothers' which my parents helped going to school and getting fed know about all this....

2 hours ago, j8k said:

If you don't like it then you know what you can do.

Correct, it ends in 'off'.

Ah yes, the always correct "love it or leave it crew" out in force. You would think that walking lockstep behind authoritarian governments is not the hallmark of a traveler and adventurer. The expats on this forum certainly disprove that notion. Many here will back any side that is holding a gun. Independent thought seems to be the one thing that many forum members, vehemently oppose.  Unbelievable.

4 minutes ago, KhunFred said:

Ah yes, the always correct "love it or leave it crew" out in force. You would think that walking lockstep behind authoritarian governments is not the hallmark of a traveler and adventurer. The expats on this forum certainly disprove that notion. Many here will back any side that is holding a gun. Independent thought seems to be the one thing that many forum members, vehemently oppose.  Unbelievable.

They're more than happy to look down on other foreigners they deem inferior... that is, until the government turns on them.  Then they'll likely whine 10x as bad as the ones who originally tried to draw attention to the problems as they were developing.

2 minutes ago, fruitman said:

When i grew up in Europe we had 2 foster parents childs, my parents donated monthly money to them. For some years i had 2 Thai brothers they always told me and showed us the pictures that they sent to us.

Now many years later i am married with a Thai lady, but when i go with her and the family to a national park i have to pay 10 times more as them! I'm not allowed to work, not even as a volunteer. I'm not allowed to buy a house for us on my name, i have to jump through loads of hoops to get the visa to be with my wife.

I wonder if my 2 Thai 'brothers' which my parents helped going to school and getting fed know about all this....

It's a travesty, fruitman.

Take, take, take seems to be the agenda here. Just look at how they treat migrant workers and hill tribes people. These individuals have been exploited for decades and completely robbed of their identities by forced assimilation into a system that refuses to accept them as Thai.

For any society to function properly there needs to be a bit of give and take regardless of race. The "give" part seems to have been lost in translation somewhere in the midst of nationalism that swept over the world like a dark smog cloud during the 1930's.

SP.

10 minutes ago, SenorProletariat said:

Take, take, take seems to be the agenda here. Just look at how they treat migrant workers and hill tribes people. These individuals have been exploited for decades and completely robbed of their identities by forced assimilation into a system that refuses to accept them as Thai.

For any society to function properly there needs to be a bit of give and take regardless of race. The "give" part seems to have been lost in translation somewhere in the midst of nationalism that swept over the world like a dark smog cloud during the 1930's.

SP.

That reminds me of the American Indians....:whistling:

46 minutes ago, hyku1147 said:

Having a demonized class unifies the electorate. Lets hope that myopic simps do not start demonstrating against the sub-class.

Spot on.

I once had a conversation with a group of upper middle class Thai about this-they were genuinely puzzled as to why there shouldn't be one rule book for them and quite another for everyone else on the planet.

...someone out there has been studying Goebbels with a vengeance,tho' truth be told,the Thai have never really needed Goebbels... 

Well..the OP gave it his best shot and generated five pages of posts.Well done.

1 minute ago, Crossy said:

I don't think you're allowed to call them that unless they're ethnically from the Indian sub-continent.

Hmmmm, perhaps the USA moved the division line...????...Will get on the Weegee board for an opinion....

bull.jpg.49896c27d3142b66f3782d0075dbd02f.jpg

3 minutes ago, transam said:

Hmmmm, perhaps the USA moved the division line...????...Will get on the Weegee board for an opinion....

It's an Ouija Board and that is (apparently) a Native American ????

20 minutes ago, SenorProletariat said:

The hill tribe people have generally been treated quite well .

They were given land and Thai/ I.D  citizenship and they havent been forced into anything , they still wear their tribal clothes , speak their  tribal language and live a traditional tribal life .

They are accepted as Thai Nationals , although they consider themselves to be hill tribe first and Thai second .

Yes, some are stateless , but that is being addressed 

Just imagine that if every Felang in Thailand who owned a restaurant/bar/shop/bakery was working there behind the counter .

"Hi Frank, how are you this morning" 

"Bloody terrible , two of my staff havent turned up for work today , the other one disappeared last week with the days takings , immigration came around last week and wanted a free bakewell tart , the Mrs went on holiday to Pattaya with an old freind.........and that was three years ago and I havent seen her since  , I had a leaking pipe and got a Thai plumber to come and fix it..........and he turned it into a fountain feature , I cannot sleep in this hot weather and I cannot afford to run the air-con, because my landlord charges me double the price , my 37 year old step daughter stole my car and my chickens are homosexual and not laying any eggs ."

"I'll have a loaf of bread please Frank"

5 hours ago, 3421abc said:

I am not a baker. You are missing the point.

Well, you shouldn't be setting up shop as a baker if you aren't one. I mean, you are guaranteed to fail. Next thing you'll be telling me is you can't speak, read or write Thai.

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Just imagine that if every Felang in Thailand who owned a restaurant/bar/shop/bakery was working there behind the counter .

"Hi Frank, how are you this morning" 

"Bloody terrible , two of my staff havent turned up for work today , the other one disappeared last week with the days takings , immigration came around last week and wanted a free bakewell tart , the Mrs went on holiday to Pattaya with an old freind.........and that was three years ago and I havent seen her since  , I had a leaking pipe and got a Thai plumber to come and fix it..........and he turned it into a fountain feature , I cannot sleep in this hot weather and I cannot afford to run the air-con, because my landlord charges me double the price , my 37 year old step daughter stole my car and my chickens are homosexual and not laying any eggs ."

"I'll have a loaf of bread please Frank"

Chickens don't need a rooster to lay eggs. 

32 minutes ago, Orton Rd said:

why is the bread in Thailand so poor then? more like cake and too much sugar.

They were never colonised and they are not good learners! Excellent bread in Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam.

5 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

No he's not.  You compare Vietnam which is still economically undeveloped with a GNI of 6,450 PPP to relatively wealthy Thailand with a GNI of 17,099 PPP.  Two very different countries.  Thailand occupies a completely different social development level than Vietnam.  The countries are night and day when it comes to basic measures such as health care, education, consumer goods access and even  happiness. It follows then that they have a different approach to visas, immigration and  social development.

Thailand is not particularly interested in attracting small operation foreign bakers. I like a good croissant as much as the next person and I note that the Novotel at the Bangkok airport where I often stay IMO has terrible baked goods at breakfast despite having French chefs and  management, so a foreigner is not necessarily going to turn bad dough and palm oil into a heavenly buttery light  croissant.  Because you saw a listing on a pay for play unreliable website, does not mean that it is  the best bakery..

Thailand does not need low skilled foreign labour unless it is for hard labour like  fishing boats & processing plants, construction and some cleaning jobs. Thailand  tries to encourage its workers to obtain higher skilled jobs like data & financial transaction processing or R&D or skilled manufacturing.  It  has adapted its  immigration policy accordingly. This is similar to what western countries do. I can assure that the visiting medical researchers, including the folks who have been in and out for years have no problems with immigration. The executives over at Ford, and Honda  do not either. The Canadian bankers from Scotia Bank who come in to work at Thanachart Bank have no issues, nor do the insurer execs that rotate in from Allianz, Zurich or AXA.   Johnny Foreigner who runs a crappy beer bar that pimps out girls, or Harry who helps  his lady boy Bunny  with her hair dressing salon probably have  some immigration hassles if they do not meet the necessary financial requirements.  Sven and Katy the  smiling  Danish retirees who follow the  immigration rules and are organized don't have any issues, nor does Luke the retired train engineer from Sussex  who runs his visa renewal like he ran his freight, with punctuality.

I think the poster was trying to state that Thais are unfair to foreigners and don't want them succeeding or competing in their country and for the most part he is correct.  There are nearly 100,000 Thais alone in the city of Los Angeles happily living, getting citizenship, opening businesses, getting married and retiiring without worrying about having to be thrown at the whim of an elected or non elected government.  In terms of reciprocity Thailand in not playing the game.  So if you think Thailand is okay doing this is it okay for western countries to do the same?

22 minutes ago, tlandtday said:

I think the poster was trying to state that Thais are unfair to foreigners and don't want them succeeding or competing in their country and for the most part he is correct.  There are nearly 100,000 Thais alone in the city of Los Angeles happily living, getting citizenship, opening businesses, getting married and retiiring without worrying about having to be thrown at the whim of an elected or non elected government.  In terms of reciprocity Thailand in not playing the game.  So if you think Thailand is okay doing this is it okay for western countries to do the same?

Check the treaty of amity and the restrictions on immigration to USA. 

I could retire in USA or Thailand.  I chose Thailand because it's a lot cheaper.  If that changes I'll go back to the States.  Right now it's 10 t0 2 Thailand winning. 

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Check the treaty of amity and the restrictions on immigration to USA. 

I could retire in USA or Thailand.  I chose Thailand because it's a lot cheaper.  If that changes I'll go back to the States.  Right now it's 10 t0 2 Thailand winning. 

I am familiar with the treaty what does it do for you in Thailand?  A few extras if establishing a business.  Can you vote?  Can you get citizenship?  Can you safely say you can remain as a citizen of the country if problems arise?  Plain and simple Thais emigrating to the usa can get a clear path to citizenship and many have done just that.  Try that here. Good luck.

Archived